The Corroboree
katu

Most influential music and why?

Be it a band, song, album? And why? Inspiration, thought provoking or just plain sunday arvo kicking back with a couple brewski...

I'll start....Pink Floyd ummagumma for being so far ahead of its time...

Les Claypool in various forms but most specifically Primus. There are better musicians out there but few as original as Primus. It's a true feat of musicianship to create something truly original...

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones for jaw dropping musicianship...

Ok your turn :)

Edited by katu
  • Like 1

Hocus Pocus "Heres Johnny". First cd ever purchased yesh!

Cause it made my feet bump to the beat. Ultimately leading me on a musical journey to where i am now... my feet still bumping to the beat.

Anything Lawrie Immerson. Just cause.

• Like 2

I worked as a live music producer from 2001 to last year and managed to endure the old burn out, hence being in the mountains now.

Can you imagine burning out via mainstream music?! Everytime you turn the radio or tv on, GAHHHHHHH!!

Anyway - somehow, yesterday, a muso called jonathon wilson awoke something inside of me, the band's quite noice:

Oh, I should mention, I don't think it would have been possible if I hadnt been shaken by the shoulders just prior by these guys:

(that's if you can get past the intro!)

:)

Edited by Laila

i was like 7 or 8 and heard this. changed my life. was like wtf is this. never heard anything like it before, and that's where my love for electronics music started!

and then of course this

and so many others from this era dramaticly changed what i listened to.

ps. fuck mainstream

ps. fuck mainstream

For real! That's what I said directly before and after that job! Was an interesting and educational journey,

sleeping with the enemy and all that.

For me it would have to be The Mars Volta, particularly Amputechure.

Quite hard music to get into the first time you hear it, but it really is like nothing i had ever heard before, As someone on thier forums once said, "Its like the answer to a question i didnt even know i was asking".

• Like 1

^Awesome Band!!!

Iron maiden , first ever band , age 4 :)

every last memory and feel from the 80s and 90s is stored in those songs for release at will :)

prodigy , for proving theres some music as good as metal/predominantly guitar...

and opening the floodgates to the beauty of all other music beyond general 80s feels

especially 3 kilos , blending sounds of the 70s possibly 60s

and as a result, ozric tentacles for taking me thru audial entheogenesis to shpongle heights and its ease of studying to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rSysh8xms&html5=1

• Like 2

troum tjukurrpa pt.1 harmonies - opened my mind for the first time to the power of drone, a very strong experience

autechre Xylin Room - first time i "got" autechre, the melding of rhythm/"melody [sic]" - very illuminating experience

http://youtu.be/mLDyZ_JMH4w

spk leichenschrei album

heard this in my formative high school days, weirded me out something fierce

finally "Komm Susser Tod" J.S.Bach (particularly from the "sacred treasures 3" cd) - the harmony and dissonance in this arrangement continue to send shivers down my spine

• Like 1

The album 'Rossz Csillag Alatt Született' by Venetian Snares sticks out as a pretty sharp turning point in musical appreciation for me. It was absolutely unlike anything I had heard before. I had been exposed to alot of both classical music and electronic music growing up, but never in any kind of relationship with each other. It took me a while to soften my predetermined judgements to truly appreciate it, but I realised that this blend of breakcore and classical was somehow perfect in its own right, and could be appreciated in the fullness of itself without comparison to other music I liked. It's brilliance allowed me the opportunity to respect, not reject what I didn't understand..

- which was great cause it was just around that time that I was recognising that I understood sweet fuck all!

http://youtu.be/ccV54B9V5HM

• Like 4

I was thinking of adding Venetian Snares also! It's music which takes and gives all at once but ultimately Mr Funk is amazingly good at creating atmospheres through cacophony. I was a big fan of that (impossible to say) album above as well as many other albums from him, with Hospitality being a standout.

There are too many to list but with Snares out the way, I'd put in a vote for Squarepusher because he has invented and re-invented so many styles that every album is truly unexpected. I'm sad that Shobaleader One wasn't better received. I thought it was one of the best fusions of rock and electronic I've ever heard.