The Corroboree
planthelper

design flaw discovered with acer tower X3990

just finished talking to acer tech support, and they want to charge me 160aud for, removing a small cd, out of the casing of the acer tower X3990!! :ana:

who ever designed this acer product, must be a total idiot, because the cd drive on this acer pc, is installed VERTICALY, and small cd/dvd's just simply follow newtons law, and will just fall down into the computer. :BANGHEAD2:

the tech support person from acer, tried to to, say that I just lack the skill to load and unload those discs, but the truth is, THE CD FELL INTO THE COMPUTER, WHEN THE ACER COMPUTER, TRIED TO EJECT THE VERY SAME!!

whats the world coming to?
people design something totally wrong, and instead of admitting there fault, THEY EVEN TRY TO ENRICH THEMSELVES.

if you people know websites, which discuss exactly those type of issues, please post me a link, as I want lot's of people to know, how poorly ACER treats it's clients. :devil:

• Like 1

photo of the acer computer design fault.

this vertical cd drive, swallows small cd's, whilst the computer tries to eject the very same! :BANGHEAD2:

I am sure this designer got the sack, from acer, but how can a flaw like this make it all the way to mass production?

it happens without any human interference, but they said it's my fault, and want to charge me 160aud to get the cd out of the casing!

I said, but it will happen again, because it's a design flaw, but acer said, "we don't see it this way".

ACER = NO GOOD!!! :devil:

post-70-0-74775900-1402553231_thumb.jpg

design_fault_acer.JPG

design_fault_acer.JPG

maybe they expect you to tip the whole tower on it's side as you load the caddy Ph.

What were you thinking? Acer. foof. the best puter's i've ever had were built by westinghouse....that way, they'd refurbish my washer as well in one house call.

all jokings aside, vertical caddy's should come with a pack of blu-tack.

pointless huh.

can't you just open her up and retrieve your cd/dvd?

hit up whirlpool mang, they have heaps of techy forums there. maybe you'll find a space there to vent and get results.

http://whirlpool.net.au/

all the best Planthelper.

• Like 1

Acer is shithouse, don't waste your money on their crap, thats all i know, sorry i can't help PH

• Like 1

Isn´t there a way to open the case yourself? I mean, there must be a way to exchange broken components? With Most Desktop PC´s, you only need to unscrew a few screws and you're in. And yeah, always wondered about those vertical cd drives and how the cd´s don´t fall out. I´d rather spend the 160 Dollars on something cool and open it up myself. Good chance to get to know your pc! ;)

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

those mini-towers are a pain in the ass to tinker with

• Like 1

10 minute job with a screwdriver and knowhow though I'm not sure what that would do to your warranty.

Take it what got stuck was a mini cd and not a full sized one? If so not many cd/dvd drives are able to use those if mounted verticly without an adapter, and those adapters would be a hassle to find nowadays since mini cd's just ain't used anymore. Been years since I even saw one!

Doubt the support person at ACER even know what they are to be honest.

I'll pass this thread onto the stepson who asfar as I know works in the repair side for ACER, maybe he'll have some insight into it.

Edit: what you are going to need for the future is something along the lines of this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-CD-DVD-Disc-Adapter-Adaptateur-Adattatore-Adaptador-Adaptor-Adapteri-/321426614070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad684e736

Edited by Snowfella
  • Like 1

And on second thought, here's what I would do before breaking out a screwdriver or paying $160 to have it fixed.

Unplug the computer and tilt it up horizontally

Give it a gentle shake

Front of the dvd drive should have a tiny hole just below the tray

Gently poke a straightened paperclip into that hole, it should eject the tray a cm or so with minimal pressure on the paperclip

Manually pull the tray out

If you are lucky the cd should now be on the tray, likely out of alignment though.

• Like 2

Most popular Pc models have amateur youtube vids detailing dis-assembly

edit: I didn't see one for your particular model, but there is likely a similar model in the list

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=acer+tower+X3990

Edited by Foo

2 minutes with google found me the official ACER service guide detailing how to take the rig apart. Will still leave you with the "issue" of how to get the disc out of the drive without a manual. Then again it's generally all of 4 screws to remove the casing from a dvd drive and get access to the internal bits.

http://data.manualslib.com/pdf2/24/2330/232907-acer/aspire_x3990.pdf?9a424ce7dbf2d732da9895f72b7a3794&take=binary

Computers ain't really that hard to build and take apart aslong as you RTFM (read the f*** manual) and never use force. Bits generally only fit one way and even internal parts can be taken apart with due care. I even managed to rescue a DELL laptop belonging to one the wife's workmates that had the power lead socket ripped from the motherboard. Dell quoted her in excess of $400 in repair as they would have to replace the whole board, cost me $10 for a replacement socket shipped from the states and a few hours of work with screwdriver and soldering iron to get it going again.

• Like 1

man, they should have sold me that acer crap with one of those adapters, good suggestion guy's.

just had to let off steam, I haven't had to use the drive since it happened, but I am worried, i might run in trouble next time, I tilt that acer mini tower, to load or help it, to unload.

New DVD drives are worth practically nothing by the way.

I once had a PC store tell me that it would cost more to have the DVD drive not included with a custom tower is was ordering.

• Like 1