The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

it's abit slow, so what's on TV?

SBS-12/8-'the cutting edge'- the need for speed--

US airforce, navy & special forces on dexadrine- friendly fire anyone?

also, The Bill, has been getting interesting- (can't say i mind the new format, they can go into 'issues' more), recently the cheif inspector came out in favour ov legalising all drugs--& was then given some support from the burrough commanders. considering this is one ov the UK's most watched shows, i find it quite pleasing that they're choosing to tackle such provocative issues- even if it's 20 years late.

The Bill is a great show, its the only thing on television besides the simpsons that I watch on a regular basis. The new format is ok but sometimes they get a little carried away with the lives of the characters. Its great the way they are portraying the hard drug problem. Hopefully they continue on with this issue for a while. I liked the way they showed that they portrayed Nicks coke problem as not just that he was addicted but that there are other underlying factors that lead to someone using hard drugs regulary.

BTW that SBS doco looks good

yo jayson- nice to meet you- i agree w/what you say, they've even managed to make the cheif's reasons for wanting to decriminalise all drugs seem reasonable to the audience.

there's 1 other show i really get a kick out ov, (apart from the simpsons)- Pizza on SBS- fuck, sometimes i just sit in shock-- they really push the envelope.

I think that the way that the Bill is portraying the legalization of drugs is what the governments in Britian and here in oz are starting to realize. I saw an segment on a current affair last night about cannabis, and for once they gave both sides of the story which was suprising for a show of a current affairs calibre.

For the uneducated CNNNN is basically a rip off of 24 hour american news networks. Its the funniest thing on TV. Did you watch much of the last series nabraxas? The websites heaps funny as well.

This absolutely cracks me up

http://www.abc.net.au/cnnnn/profiteering/t...hon/dossier.htm

quote:

Saddam is obviously spruikin' for a nukin'!

aahh yes... i'm fungry

:D i watched all the last series & it fair tickled me pink. been looking forward to this one.

Watched "Alexis Sorbas" or "Zorba the Greek" for the umpteenth time on cable, only this was the first time I truely understood the whole movie...

Anthony Quinn as Sorbas definitely his best role ever.

He behaves like a true shaman in every way...

you could see how the young american's mind was screwed up by civilisation...

on the other hand I felt like very bad about the small village when they communally stoned and killed that poor widow for her "infidelity"... and then simply ignored and "forgot" the whole case... that's unforgivable...

it's because of socially accepted cruelty like that that I hate religion and brainwashing so much...

[ 17. August 2003, 19:04: Message edited by: gomaos ]

i'm beginning to dig your groove gomaos

"let's round 'em all up, put 'em in a field & BOMB THE BASTARDS" :)

(10 points if you know the late radio/TV comedian quoted)

I was prepared for this response:

I said "I felt like"

not "I would like to"

example:

Sometimes you FEEL like killing someone,

that doesn't mean you're going to do it...

hehe...

lol

gomaos- i was only teasing--i've been wanting to use that quote for ages.

yesterday felt like the right day.

as to the killing thing--i often wonder why people w/advanced AIDS or terminal cancer never end up as suicide bombers/killers,- i mean having something like that is almost a licence to kill.(that is a terrible thing to say & i appologise to anyone offended, i have a sick mind & it sometimes thinks sick thoughts.)

[ 18. August 2003, 05:32: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

Actually, nabaraxas, I've had the same thoughts too...

if someone got aids or some other terminal disease, why doesn't he become a hero and kill someone evil?

Well perhaps they are too weak to do anything,

or just to busy to cope with the symptoms of their disease, or day to day life is just too hard to make any such plans...

perhaps things like politics become totally secondary....

I've just checked the Classifieds and,

Nup...no one looking for 'kamakazi pilots' or anything :P

I seen a clip on Eat Carpet very late one night on SBS about a group of ppl that called themselves "Team Red"

This is the description of the clip from sbs website

"Is murder ever morally justifiable? Interviews with 3 members of 'Team Red': lucratively-funded insurgents whose chosen mission is to infect powerful businessmen with HIV.

Basicaly these ppl were approached at aids support meetings by a charachter who then became friends and after gaining trust propositioned them to join an elite underground group called team red where they would be employed to Covertly Infect chosen members of High society with their virus, This film was made on the agreement that it would never be shown untill all the members in the interviews were deceased.

Well now there showing it...

Scary eh!

scary--i've been reading a book on germ warfare

--in the early 1980's the soviets found the best places to insert foriegn genes into viral genomes, ensuring good expression ov lethal effects.

they then tried something more insidious. they looked for ways to trigger autoimmune responses. in contrast, toxins seemed crude."sometimes just small, very tiny quantities of foriegn substances are enough," he said, to make the immune response "quite devastating." He disclosed an example: his team had inserted into viruses genes that make protien fragments of myelin. when an animal was infected with these hybrids, they could trigger an autoimmune response that resulted in brain damage.

in one case in the mid 1980's at obolensk laboratories they re-engineered Legionella. the trick again was the myelin.scientists injected the modified leginella carrying the myelin genes into guinea pigs, which at first came down with symptoms of pnuemonia. after the legionella microbe & it's mild aftermath came & went, & all signs of infection were gone, the metabolic reactions to the myelin fragments began a second, more pronounced wave of sickness. the g.pigs first suffered brain damage & paralysis, then died, with the mortality rate close to 100%.

[ 19. August 2003, 11:27: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

"Germs-The Ultimate Weapon" by judith miller, stepen engelbreg & william broad. publisher- simon & schuster. isbn- 0-7432-3071-X

not the kind ov book I'd buy, was a xmas pressie, only just got round to reading it(it's got lots ov american propaganda, but also alot ov the facts)- very scary.

infact, being a little paranoid, i know the next time i get a cold i'll be worried.

[ 20. August 2003, 09:02: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

thanks, i'll take a look in the library to see if I can find it.