The Corroboree
doxneed2c-me

R.I.P. Alexander Shulgin, June 17, 1925 - June 2, 2014

Sasha Shulgin died at 5pm this afternoon. He was a psychedelic

chemist, a visionary, and a cognitive liberty advocate. He was

also a dear friend, mentor, and role model to Earth & I (Fire).

We were lucky to know him.

Gate gate para gate parasamgate bodhi svaha!

All hail the goer. Our love goes with you.

Around 5pm PST on June 2, 2014, our long-time friend and role model Sasha Shulgin passed away after several years of battling old age and, more recently, terminal liver cancer.

https://twitter.com/erowid/status/473635011896553472

There isn't a strong enough emoticon/smiley on this forum to express my sadness.

• Like 5

Thank you Sasha :worship: . a sad day, but an end to a sad period. My thoughts are with Anne in what must be an incredibly hard time of letting go.

Very sad news. He was such an extraordinary person. But unfortunately, that´s the way of the world.

RIP you magnificent bastard!

*Doffs hat*

An honest and authentic human being; inspirational and adamant. Respect and RIP.

• Like 1

what can you postulate regarding such a gargantuan human?

he affected me.

his writings intrigued and confounded me - never have i read (and re-read) the same paragraphs over and over until i got it. he drove me to seek a better understanding of myself and thus, seek the purer me that i knew had always existed beneath the fodder of my brain pastures.

many chemists have been and will be but Sasha did irrevocably help many people, i was just one of them.

R.I.P bloke

• Like 5

RIP good sir :(

I'm yet to come across mention of this in the MSM. It'd be a shame if his death wasn't commented on. While sad, his death does present an opportunity to educate the general public about one of the world's greatest research chemists and his lifes work.

RIP.

GHBeer, MSM need to confirm with reliable sources before they can publish. It's only been a few hours and it seems telling MSM was not anyone's high priority. So they may or may not have gotten it off twitter and then need to follow it up. It is probably not helped by the fact that Ann sent out an email just yesterday informing everyone that Sasha was declining, but was hoping to make his birthday in a few weeks. So his actual death notice may have been overlooked at first.

Good point Torsten. I hope you're right.

What a visionary & inspiring man! Condolences to all! Hope Ann is doing ok. She is such a remarkable & amazing person too! My thoughts are with them.

Nicely put Cheshire & Torsten!

Sasha's life work will live on !!! The legacy he has left behind is phenomenal......

• Like 1

None of this RIP stuff, I hope Sasha is already eagerly mixing chemicals in the next dimension, preparing to expand conciousness to the next level.

However it will be tough times for Anne and their close friends. My condolences.

• Like 2

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

What an amazing legacy even though he is unknown to most of the world. Right up there with the likes of Nikola Tesla, Terrence MeKenna and other great unsung hero's of the 20th and 21st centuries.

His work and memory will forever grow stronger. Such a master and legend of his craft.

WHAT A LEGEND.

Edited by machineelf
  • Like 1

Sad news indeed. What an amazing person, his self exploration an inspiration.

• Like 1

Good article in the Guardian today.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jun/03/alexander-shulgin

They were the most fearless couple I've ever met. Approachable, funny, fun-loving, curious... I remember Ann bumming a smoke off me at Entheobotany in SF in '97 (?), we started chatting like we'd known each other for years.

God bless you both, Ann and Sasha. A lot of people are sending love to you at this moment, pulling out copies of those wonderful monumental books that changed so many people for the better... and not just chemists!

• Like 1

Wow I just saw this.At random the other day,which happened to be the 2nd,I started thinking about this very possibility and it lead to me talking to a few scuba mates about the great man and the unique and groundbreaking work he did.the trip he just took is one we all will have to at some point.still a great loss for those still here and the world in general.

By some quirk it was only last december I finally got hold of complete copies of pihkal and tihkal for the first time. I was solidly glued to them all the way through.

I expect those to be classics that will benefit people for a good long time. The man certainly had a rare and wonderful philosophy.

Funny, it was less than a week ago I got the urge to re-read pihkal

Safe travels Sasha, the insight and knowledge you have shared will no doubt continue to have

impact on us all for a long time yet.

Thanks so much for your insights

You were the guiding star.

I appreciate your collected knowledge and your efforts.

So sorry for you to go.

Full rep all love.

A