The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dreamwalker.

help carburettor problems? stored car won't start, any idea's?

From what he said earlier, it seems like he's got a single injector that sprays into the throttle body ?

I tend to think it's not related to spark because the engine will start, but without investigation that's just a guess. You can get spark testers that work by touching them on the ignition lead while it's plugged in but they don't tell you if you have a fouled/dead spark plug. I have one and it's a very handy little tool.

Another possibility could be be a dirty MAP or MAF sensor, depending on what type your car has. They can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol on a rag or electrical contact cleaner again on a rag, just don't spray it directly onto the sensor and be very gentle with it. This can be somewhat of a scam for unscrupulous mechanics, sometimes they just clean the sensor and bill you for a new one - marking it with a UV pen can be a good idea if you don't trust the mechanic, if you decide to take it to get fixed.

yeah Its a single injector that sprays into the throttle body (inlet manifold). It would be a lot easier with 4 modern injectors lined up like spark plugs.

Its pissing down here with rain till Friday, and there's been some serious flooding further north, its parked out side at the moment, so not much I can do till the weekend. The closest problem I have ever had like this, was with a 61 Massey Fergy diesel, its fuel line had worn a leak, and it ran dry, took months of recharging and turning it over to re-prime the injectors, but one day it went, haven't had any problems with it since. So there's still hope, though my patience is getting a bit thin, It may end up back on blocks in the garage, and I'll add it to my too do list. Manyana.

i reckon we should all come over, lean on it and drink VB twistops till it goes

In Spirit, you were right, there is another filter hidden via a hatch under the back seat, sod's law would have it, that the hatch only gives access to the fuel pump on the tank and the filter is unreachable. I will need to remove the fuel tank etc to change it.

I have reached my limit of available free time to find a solution and fix the problem, I will re reg my even older, but more reliable (touch keyboard) ute hi lux, I prefer the ute any hoo, can't beat a solid metal frame when some idiot runs into you, which seems about every 18 months, generally when its legally parked and minding its own business, pealed an old ladies suv open like a tin can, last time and I didn't even lose so much as a flake of paint. 2 wee eyes and a bad perm peering from under the steering wheel, she should at least have had her seat built up before driving such a tank. :uzi:

So thanks for everyone's input, I've learnt a lot, I've parked it back in the garage and will jack it up on post's, might try to hang a bottle of fuel above it for direct fuel feed to the carb/injector, just need to find the fuel pressure number and match it with how high I hang the bottle, that way I can test if the filter/gunge tank is the problem, without dropping out the tank. If that doesn't work then I will figure out how to remove and test the injector, aswell as having another go to test my plugs....but this will be months away, as I have heaps of other stuff to catch up on...thanks again.

Plugs and leads....im tellin ya. :wink:

Plugs and leads....im tellin ya. :wink:

nothing really to lose now ....so I will be yanking them off :scratchhead:

Yeah man, its good for you to know at least, i would bet my last dollar whe you remove it the backflow will be black. It has probably never been changed, so a good idea to do it anyway. You know how long you have had the car, have you ever had it changed???. I would change it, without worrying about testing the system and then see how she goes, it only takes a little blockage to stop thecar from running and like i said it can ruin the fuel pump/sender, replace it thenyou know you are pushing fuel to the injection system at least... :) hope it works out for you...

Hey mate,, I had an old datto that had similar issues as your vehicle. I did all the things you have tried, even pulled the fuel tank out and rinsed with fresh fuel. It all came down to the metal fuel line that ran under the car. I ended up pushing some wire in both ends to free up the gunk and dripped fuel into the line,, with a rag on one end I blew compressed air thru the line from both ends. Just leave a bit of rubber fuel line on which is a perfect fit for the air guns outlet.

Never had fuel issues after that :-)