The Corroboree
PsillyBean

Acacia nilotica seed

This is a long shot, but fingers crossed :)

I went to the Graham Hancock lecture the other day and he mentioned the Acacia nilotica as being the possible tree of life depicted in egyptian hieroglyphs and i think from memory the flaming tree that Moses had a bit of a yoddle with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vachellia_nilotica

Has anyone come across seed for it as I would love to add it to the collection.

Cheers

if you head toward the north of the state you're in you may be able to harvest your own. Nilotica has long been naturalized in most states of Australia, and is actually is listed as a noxious weed

Acacia nilotica is listed as a “P2 declared plant” in WA. This makes Acacia nilotica seeds a “prohibited material” under several pieces of state legislation to bring into, or transport within WA.

I am aware that there are entheogenic plants (such as lophophora) that have been unfairly classed as a weed by some bureaucratic douche. In the case of Acacia nilotica, not letting it spread would be wise as the plant has been shown to cause biodiversity loss in Australia.

I disagree that the plant is "naturalised" in most states. The term is arbitrarily thrown around. Trying to perform a scientific study to accurately measure the 'level of naturalisation' of an invasive species for a whole state or territory on a shoestring budget is absurd. Government officials who are responsible for biosecurity and the environment often use terms like “non eradicable” and “naturalised” so they can justify not having to contribute much needed funds for biological control programs.

Edited by juzzoa
  • Like 1

I know the Acacia nilotica found on cattle stations west of the central queensland coast is a subspecies introduced from India, so the A.nilotica found in Oz may not have the alkaloid profile of the species used traditionally

Here's some info I've found about acacias and the Bible if your interested.

“Shittim wood” (Acacia) is mentioned 12 times in the Bible. They were the trees from which the Tabernacle and some of its utensils were made: “And they shall make an ark of shittim wood … And thou shalt make staves of shittim wood, and overlay them with gold” Exodus 25:10,13 “And thou shalt make boards for the tabernacle of shittim wood standing up” Exodus 16:15 “And thou shalt make an altar of shittim wood” Exodus 27:1 “And he made the incense altar of shittim wood” Exodus 37:25

Acacia is awarded a place of honor alongside the cedar in the consolation prophecies: “I will plant in the wilderness the cedar, the shittah tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree”Isaiah 41:1

Acacia trees were given preferential treatment: “God will return any Acacia (shittah) tree that gentiles took from Jerusalem” Babylonian Talmud, Rosh Hashanah 23:1 Felling live Acacia trees in the desert is taboo to date. In the Aramaic tradition, a person who cut down a living tree, would have his arm cut off. The resin that drips from desert Acacia trees was used by the ancients as medicine, and is called gummi arabicum (Arabic gum). The Talmud also mentions a medicine made from Acacia.

Source: http://www.holylandrestorers.com/trees-of-the-bible/acacia/

Shittah tree[1] was used in the Tanakh to refer to the acacia (Hebrew: שטה). Acacia albida, Acacia seyal, Acacia tortilis and Acacia iraqensis can be found growing wild in the Sinai desert and the Jordan valley.

During the Exodus, the ancient Israelites employed shittah wood in making the various parts of the Tabernacle and of the Ark of the Covenant. It was the acacia or mimosa (Acacia nilotica and A. seyal).

"The wild acacia (Mimosa nilotica), under the name of sunt, everywhere represents the seneh, or senna, of the burning bush. A slightly different form of the tree, equally common under the name of seyal, is the ancient shittah, or, as more usually expressed in the plural form, the shittim, of which the Tabernacle was made."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shittah_tree

..hi, wanted to bring some ancient middle-eastern acacias to your attention, & see if anyone has reports..

Acacia albida (synon. Faidherbia albida)

Acacia albida. (Ana Tree or Winter Thorn.) It is found throughout the middle-east & africa. see info further on in thread.. It is known to contain DMT (see Tikhal). ..the 'burning bush'..is believed to be A. tortillis subsp radianna]

(..i have been told a small spiritual group now exists in Israel based around the entheogenic effects of this tree...)

it has numerous traditional medicinal uses including digestion and child-birthing...

..according to the old testament Moses was instructed (on Mt. Sinai) to build the Arc of the Covenant out of holy 'shittim'-wood..

Acacia seyal, the Red acacia, known also as the shittah tree (the source of shittim wood). A. seyal has been found to

contain DMT in the leaf & stembark according to unreferenced web sources)

here is a list of African & middle-eastern Tryptamine Acacias (which will hopefully grow over the next few years..)

A. albida (Ana Tree, Winter Thorn) DMT leaf, bark [2][1]; DMT-like bioassays in Israel [dmt-nexus]

A. giraffae (synon.A. haematoxylon x erioloba) DMT in leaf [5]

A. horrida (Cape Gum, 'Dev-Babul' ) [4]

A. karoo (Sweet Thorn) tryptamines [4]

A. laeta DMT, in the leaf[6]

A. mellifera DMT, in the leaf[4][1]; alkaloid +ve 2 tests [14]; triterpinoids.

A. nilotica (Gum Arabic Tree) DMT, in the leaf[2][4][1] tentative DMT,5meoDMT[10], tryptamine and 'harmane derivatives'[11]

A. nilotica subsp. adstringens reported DMT [4][12]

A. nubica DMT in leaf [9]; synon. with A. oerfota (A. nubica subsp oerfota) - NMT [4]

A. polyacantha DMT in leaf [4][8][9]

A. senegal DMT in bark & leaf [9][2][1][6], NMT, other tryptamines [4] DMT in plant[7]

A. seyal (Red Acacia, holy 'shittim wood' ) DMT [2][1]

A. sieberiana DMT, in the leaf.[6] Ether extracts about 1-7% of the dried leaf mass.[3]

A. tortilis (Umbrella Thorn, also implicated in the Ark of the Covenant) DMT leaf, bark [2]; alkaloid positive [13]

A. xanthophloea ('Fever Tree' ) oral ceremonial & medicinal use (incl. anti-malarial); alkaloids [15]

so that's 14 so far..References:

[1]wiki.magiskamolekyler.org (Swedish)

[2]TIKHAL, Shulgin & Shulgin

[3]Wattle Seed Workshop Proceedings 12 March 2002, Canberra March 2003 RIRDC Publication No 03/024, RIRDC Project No WS012-06

[4]Pharmacuetical Excipients.com =Posted by Niazi in acacia blog

[5] (internal uni. chemistry paper viewed by Nen 1995)

[6]Shaman Australis (either claimed in a thread, or referenced to here elsewhere)

[7] Dr. Duke's Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases

[8] Poland herbarium

[9] Khalil & Elkheir 1975.

[10] Heffter 1996, Trout 1997

[11] Oliver-Bever "Medicinal Plants In Tropical West Africa 1986

[12] Trout 2004

[13] Kubmarawa et al 2007

[14] Lalitha et al. 2010; Rukunga et al 2004.

[15] Nundkumar et al. 2002

..Interestingly, Acacia cyclops is native to Western Australia! Many Australian acacias were planted all over africa (for tannin & timber) and are now naturalized...

Source: https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=23472&p=2

Edited by Dale

theres gotta be narcs in the forum :)

Edited by applesnail