The Corroboree
BillyThKid

Ariocarpus appreciation thread.

Is the bottom little pup attached ? Looks like two seedlings, one having germinated recently.

It is fully attached and sprouted at the same time as the main head 10 months ago. the seed was probably a double embryo. i know it is attached because i transplanted this one and saw where it was attached. I dont know why it is so much smaller than the other but i think it is because it has a not-so-good attachment to the watercore or something.

Another A. Retusus with minor Cauliflower trait.

12899248925_5b0be102c2_c.jpg

• Like 7

Faaaark those are nice! Especially the variegated one!

AFOAF sent me a picture of some Ariocarpus cauliflower seeds that recently germinated.

Have been told that they will graft a few onto peres to speed up growth. Should be interesting.

post-12907-0-74448400-1401286103_thumb.j

post-12907-0-74448400-1401286103_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-74448400-1401286103_thumb.jpg

I bought 60 A. cauliflower seeds from ebay recently and got 100% germination!! Super stoked. Wil be grafting some to selenicereus, hylocereus, and pereskiopsis.

• Like 4

Yeah they also got 100% germination, good cauliflower seeds!

• Like 1

Yeah they also got 100% germination, good cauliflower seeds!

Holy hell, that is really good for any cactus species. Even with my most tedious method of sprouting cacti seeds i only get 70% germination. so to get all of them is unheard of.

Seeing some really nice pictures in here, So here is one i found online for sale. it was priced at $1400 and it is amazing and i think still for sale.

post-14984-0-44974900-1401403086_thumb.j

post-14984-0-44974900-1401403086_thumb.jpg

post-14984-0-44974900-1401403086_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Natures little sculptures post-781-0-84826600-1401410750_thumb.jpg

Ariocarpus agavoides in flower- my first ever ario flower :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by incognito
  • Like 7

Natures little sculptures attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ariocarpus agavoides in flower- my first ever ario flower :)

Proud Parent - I felt the same way when mine flowered for the first time!

I was showing event the roughest lads at work who admitted it was an awesome flower, my kotchbeyanus flowered as well but didn't get a pic. Unfortulantely my fissuratus plants all got eaten over a couple of days a few winters ago by a large rat. I was heartbroken.

Yeah, the rats can be really bad - I guess the fissuratus just don't taste bad enough! :wink:

They left everything else just smashed the fissuratus

My fav plant of all time :(

Edited by incognito

They left everything else just smashed the fissuratus

My fav plant of all time :(

Really sorry to hear that - I feel your pain

My first outdoor cactus growing took an ugly turn when the neighborhood cats began walking and sleeping on top of my new seedlings.

I had to put wire mesh all around the whole operation - top to bottom - what a mess and it made it very difficult to water them all properly.

Ariocarpus retusus var. furfuraceus flowered today :)

post-5030-0-05155400-1402046284_thumb.jp

post-5030-0-05155400-1402046284_thumb.jpg

post-5030-0-05155400-1402046284_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Ariocarpus retusus var. furfuraceus flowered today :)

attachicon.gifA. retusus v. furfuraceus.jpg

Looks really beautiful. has this one flowered before? self fertile? did you collect pollen for future use?

I did not appreciate these Ariocarpus and sadly they have succumbed to rot :'(

It's a very sad day...

post-12907-0-89712100-1402236424_thumb.jpost-12907-0-22999900-1402236505_thumb.j

The first was an 8 year old seedling that still has the possibility of multiple grafts to be done

But the second has completely rotted from the inside.

post-12907-0-89712100-1402236424_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-22999900-1402236505_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-89712100-1402236424_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-22999900-1402236505_thumb.jpg

It's a very sad day...

attachicon.gifIMG_5633.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_5631.JPG

The first was an 8 year old seedling that still has the possibility of multiple grafts to be done

I have only ever heard of tales of people grafting the areoles of ariocarpus. Sometimes i hear it works and then sometimes i hear it never works.

I think it depends on the species, root stock and so much more that makes it hard. Grafting a wholoe specimen is hard sometimes especially when cutting away rot so many times all you have left is the areoles anyway.

So sorry about your girls, ariocarpus can notmally handle everything except too much water

That's a sad sight Sabry, never fun to lose a plant, much less an Ariocarpus. I was repotting some Ariocarpus today and found that one of my bravoanus had begun to rot from the taproot up. The nursery I bought it from had it in a soil mix with waaay too much organic material and I waited too long to repot it

I was happy to find this though:

retusus x agavoides fruit, unknown father

14398789583_5a1727dfb8.jpg

• Like 3

Some tap rooted cacti are know to up and die for no apparent reason. You can provide them with the very best and ideal conditions but sometimes that is not enough for them. Especially older cacti are known to do this. They take longer to.readjust to new conditions and sometimes just do not pull through. It sucks but all you can do is learn what you can and move forward with your new understanding.

A few years back I lost an 10-15 yo obregonia during winter dormancy. It was in bone dry mineral soil and still somehow contracted rot. I have no clue what happened other than it possibly.contracted rot four months prior during summer and did not show signs until winter. So I hope this loss does not deter you and you move on with the same level of enthusiasm. Happy growing.

I lost my only adult ariocarpus. It was an A. retusus. All through winter I thought it was fine and then I poked it to feel how firm it was since it didn't wake up during spring and the tubercle fell off. I dug it up and it was just a pile of mush inside a hard skin shell. It was in completely dry mineral soil as the whole time too. Pretty sad. It was pretty mature when I bought it though. I've decided not to get really old slow growing plants anymore because they seem to have a harder time adjusting to new conditions like someone said.

• Like 1

I have only ever heard of tales of people grafting the areoles of ariocarpus. Sometimes i hear it works and then sometimes i hear it never works.

I think it depends on the species, root stock and so much more that makes it hard.

well heres some proof for you that it is possible and i dont think stock has anything to do with it

A. lloydii

Stock is a scop

DSC_6344_zpsbbc3cded.jpg

DSC_6343_zpsfeaf92ef.jpg

DSC_6342_zpsb7d52b11.jpg

A. kotschoubeyanus on peres

DSC_6341_zps616a11eb.jpg

DSC_6339_zps4aa94711.jpg

DSC_6338_zps9e170f17.jpg

It's a very sad day...

attachicon.gifIMG_5633.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_5631.JPG

i feel for ya man i lost an 8 year old seed grown fissuratus about a month ago was pretty devastating

it happened much like an astro you couldnt even see any signs of anything wrong until it was to late

i dissected it and the entire inside of it was rotten couldnt even save a single areole

• Like 2

Looks really beautiful. has this one flowered before? self fertile? did you collect pollen for future use?

2nd time It's flowered, It's self fertile and I did collect some pollen that is now in the freezer :)

• Like 1

So cool to know its rather easy to graft ariocarpus areoles, as 'easy' as any other grafting areoles. I dont have enough specimens to attempt such experiments at them moment

Here is an update picture of my ariocarpus retusus Subspecies confusus scion grafted to pereskiosis. The one tubrical with the areole hair tuft is pretty new but there is another areole and tubrical forming below it and to the left.

The whole scion is swelling nice and growing much faster than its brothers and sisters which are on their own root,.

post-14984-0-56722300-1402425179_thumb.p

post-14984-0-56722300-1402425179_thumb.png

post-14984-0-56722300-1402425179_thumb.png