The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Dogs go whacko for schmacko

No, it's not just an advertising jingle, but it is actually a fact.

Possibly the yummiest thing for a dog is a piece of bacon, some stinky cheese, or even just salty butter. They will do all sorts of tricks for any of these.

But when I hold a schmacko in my hand all of our dogs go totally mental. For minutes they will walk on two legs only, their eyes bulge, they hyperventilate .... they go nuts!!

Unlike bacon, cheese, or salty butter, schmackos smell disgusting. faintly so, but bad enough to stop me from trying one myself. however, I am curious as to what is actually in these dog treats. So far no dog that I know reacted to schmackos on first contact. however soon after the first taste they can smell them from a great distance. Are they addictive? They certainly fit the profile.

So who knows what the deal is?? Or is anyone prepared to try one (or give it to their 3 year old to 'play' with)?

Are we turning our pooches into drug dogs???

there's been a rumour for the last decade that uncle bens, maker ov PAL & Whiskers put some addictive additive into those brands to keep pets hooked on their more expensive product.

i guess this would only really need to be something as 'simple' as monosodium glutamate.

wouldn't want your pet to go cold turkey ey. :D

-----------------------------

Hmmm, Smacko's perhaps?

I worked for a couple of summers in a Sheltered

Workshop along side the intellectually disabled

which was hand packing Schmacko clones for the

Japanese market.

We got to take any incomplete schmackos home and

my White Dog got a couple a day for about two years

afterwards. His lust for the strips never wore off.

I had a friend who would eat them for a bit of a

show and he seems to be still alive today so it is

probably reasonably safe to experiement.

[ 21. July 2003, 07:28: Message edited by: somnif ]

cats also love those yeast extract spreads, like vegamite(which is made by kraft/philip morris, so go for the aussiemite instead, maybe?)

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Everyone here sound like a bunch of conservative, hysterical 'reds under the bed' American journalists from the 1950's - you know the kind I mean - the type other forums on this site have criticized for being biased about the evils of pot smoking.

Parents in those days were afraid their little ‘pets’ could become crazed' on THC and could commit murder and maim, after just one puff.....

Sure, it is possible that there are addictive substantances included in pet food; but this site is supposed to advocate altered conciseness; so why does this latest capitalist plot rate a mention?. Does it not follow, that if we like getting off, our cat or dog might too?

I don't understand the reason for this forum; most everyone here is prepared to pay suppliers for drugs or the technology to cultivate them, and are happy to pay the market price this industry demands. If capitalism provides for the needs of animals, should we not applaud and pay for it? Perhaps the drugs they use on our pooch or moggie will soon flow like oil of Ulan or won't kiss off the anthropomorphized piglets tested by Revlon.

dubious- in the case ov Whiskers & PAL, it's not that the animals get "high" off the product(which i doubt would bother anyone much), it's just that there is something in them which makes the animals prefer those more expensive brands to the exclusion ov other foods- that's not right, or healthy.

dubius - I actually have no problem if schmackos contain a drug. I would just like to know what it is and if it is dangerous for my dogs. Schmackos have caused behavioural changes in my dogs, and although these appear temporary, they are already causing some problems.

Just like I have no problem with anyone smoking pot except when it damages a person quite obviously (which is the overwhelming minority), I won't mind my dogs being 'catered for' in that way as long as it doesn't damage them.

One of my dogs one drank a cup of strong mushroom tea and loved it. I know cats that love getting stoned (yes, they eat the mull themselves rather than having smoke blown at them while confined to an upturned milk crate). And nature provides many examples of animals in altered states. That fact is the least of my concerns. But just as I do my research to find out what is in my petfood, I also like to know what is in my pets 'drugs'.

Since when is the search for understanding and knowledge a wrong thing?

Also, consider the price of schmackos..... I think it is ludicrous. If this is simply MSG soaked animal waste then we could all do that ourselves - possibly in a healthier form. We would also know why our animals were getting allergies and tummy problems

I nibbled the corner of one once, tasted like you'd expect it to. Bland, salty with a nasty smell. Hits the taste buds on the side of the tounge bad.

all in the name of science .... eh jetblack

It couldn't be just the salt could it??

"I know cats that love getting stoned (yes, they eat the mull themselves rather than having smoke blown at them while confined to an upturned milk crate)."--LOL

, back in the day, if a gnome brought some "squidgy black" hash round to our house, he'd have to keep a close eye on it, left unattended & 1 ov our cats would be licking the stuff, purring loudly- if anyone was skinning up she'd be sat right infront ov them, then she'd follow the joint as it was passed round the room, positioning herself for maximum smoke intake.

• Like 1

& i almost forgot, she liked dope, but you should have seen her on catnip---- the first time she'd been given it- she takes a delicate sniff, then she goes rigid, then she literally stuffs her face into the small pile ov herb, inhaling madly.

for the next 20 mins our normally sedate 7yr old cat is tearing round the house. cocaine for cats.

• Like 1

Animals getting stoned?

Don't get me started...

Once I had a little black and white dog called "Schmittchen".

She loved hash, she would eat any amount you'd give to her (mostly just tiny little pieces) and then lie around stoned for hours.

On the same token, she hated alcohol.

I remember one time in Berlin when I tied her up in front of a shop and then came back out to see this bleeding homeless alcohol-smelling person who complained that she had bitten him just because her wanted to pet her.

I said nothing and just took my dog and pissed off, he could have sued me.

But I thought to myself: "Serves you right, you stinking vagabound..."

Schmittchen was also VERY intelligent. You could walk with him without a leash through heavy citytraffic and he would not be swayed from your side by anything.

Perhaps my deeply ingrained opinion that alcohol is bad and cannabis is good comes from here:

Schmittchen taught me! He knew!

Now to my present day cat...

I know she must have been nibbling on daturas every now and then, because she was behaving erratically...

To make it all short:

I think that drugs serve to make animals more intelligent.

My cat is amazing: She will follow me to the railway station and hang around there until I come back and pick her up... (sometimes for hours)

Not that I endorse this behaviour, but sometimes she just follows and I can't stop her.

She always follows for walks around the park like a dog too...

And then: Why would parrots and budgies like cannabis seeds so much?

I bet it's not just the taste...

And grasshoppers: The first thing they eat are the brugs and tobacco plants... wonder why?

They just know what's good...

yep gomaos, i truely believe that animals instinctivly know the use ov every plant in their habitat & use them.(dogs might be an exception as they've been so domesticated)