The Corroboree
nedkelly

Some assistance with my trichocereus peruvianus please

Hey guys,

I've been a member of the forums for a while now and it seems to be a wealth of information!! I bought a packet of trich. Peru seeds off the shaman australis website and have managed to raise about 5 put of 20 seeds.

My soil mix I found online and it 1 part organic soil, 1 part peat moss and 1 part sand. The cacti have been getting indirect sunlight for a number of weeks now but have just stopped growing. Is there something I need to do to kickstart them again?

I'll get some photos up asap!

Cheers everyone,

Ned

Hello ned! Soil looks a bit too dry for seeflings of that size. Besides give them a top covering layer of large particle (12 mm) quartz stones. And fertilizer.

Yea i find at this stage you want to have high humidity and watering them 1-2 times a week. You will "harden them off" later on.
I was told to hold off on fert until they are close to the 1 year mark because they have little root systems that cant really absorb it.
How long ago was germination?

Yes, in very high concentrations, fertilizer can burn the roots. But if applied in very low Concentrations, it helps a lot to get em to a decent size earlier. Because they are the most vulnerable during the first months and the sooner you get them to a certain size, the higher the chances of long-term survival. Again, very low concentrations, not like you would water a Fruit Tree or something like that. Like a third of a regular Dose.

Like the guys above said you might need more moisture and humidity. Also, what's the ambient/soil temperature like? If you don't have artificial heating your seedlings may just be going into hibernation.

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks for all your replies.

I planted the seeds on 03/04/14 and they took around 12 or 13 days to pop up. So now nearly a month with minimal growing. I'm guessing they could be going into hibernation as the temperatures here in Brisbane have been dropping.

I have positioned the little humidi seedling chamber (not too sure what it's called) inside and have made up a little grow room for them where i'm using CFL lighting to both keep them warm and provide light. Would it be better if i bought a heat mat and used sunlight during the day to get them going?

Cheers guys

if you let them get dry, they will die nearly immediately, i have NO idea how seeds survive in the wild, its mostly from limbs falling over and pupping again.

the tray you have, has holes in the bottom (i own a few). You can't let the water go straight through the medium and then dry, you will need a base. not soggy, but NEVER dry.

thats my limited learning experience.

The Death rate in nature is unbelievably high. Like, for one Adult Plant, it takes thousands to tenthousands of seedlings that die. Forgot the exact numbers, but they are insane. In nature, a seedling that doesn´t have the luck to find itself in a crack under the protection of Stones doesn´t stand a chance. The fact that there are still very large Populations is only because most of them produce a great amount of seed every year.

• Like 1

i'm using CFL lighting to both keep them warm and provide light. Would it be better if i bought a heat mat and used sunlight during the day to get them going?

thats prob the best bet atm, add humidity so it traps the heat also.

I used a heat mat, and it just made watering 100x harder, they got dry so quick, and they all died after good germination rates.

Perhaps the first thing i'd buy is a temp sensor, so you can observe what environment they are currently in (night and day). And go from there.

But im far far from an expert, i've not managed to get a seed grown to live to a foot yet. But these are the mistakes i made.

Edit: i would bottom water that tray with another underneath, and lightly mist 2x a day until they are much bigger. careful not to disturb the roots, very delicate at this stage (both to trying, and movement, even from the misting)

Edited by C_T