The Corroboree
Sallubrious

Western Australian fertilisers

I was looking at ferilisers the other day and I noticed that some ferts have two separate analyses listed, one for most of Australia and one for W.A. In the W.A. analysis they all show lower phosphate levels. How long has that been going on ?

I remember when I was in W.A. the water in the Swan river was a muddy brown colour and no-one I spoke to seemed to know why or even care for that matter. My original thoughts were that it could be some sort of algal bloom. I did hear one story recently that it was an algal bloom and it was being caused to a large extent by fertilser runoff from a from a nearby golf course - that was one isolated opinion so I don't know if it's true or not. I doubt it was just one golf course causing the problems but that would be an obvious source that would need to be assessed.

Algal blooms are common symptom of phosphate leaching into waterways so I can understand the need to act.

In my experience high nitrogen & potassium levels tends to grow plants that put on a lot of lush growth that pests and insects can't resist and the nutritional value of foods grown on them are lower than plants grown with higher phosphate levels. My soil science comes from the William Albrecht school of thought so, anyone taught soil science in modern universities might disagree.

Have any W.A. members noticed any difference in the quality of plants grown on the new lower phosphate ferts compared to the older ferts with higher levels of phosphate?

I wasnt aware that ferts were weaker in WA, what brand did you buy?

The swan on the other hand. It is very well known that the issues 5-10 years ago were caused by fertilizer run off. Doesnt seem to be as much of an issue now, but i still wouldn't swim in alot of it :P

I bought the Brunnings brand Foo but they all had separate analyses for W.A. I looked at Yates, Osmocote and another brand too.

I only noticed it on the prilled slow release ferts. From reading the labels it seems that W.A. has tighter regulations on heavy metal levels too.

I think the regulations were changed in the last year or so. You cant buy the normal liquid ferts here any more ether. I have been using hydro ferts a fair bit and so has a lot of other people that I know so you can actually use a fert with the NPK that you want. I use NPK blue for my main house garden but the stuff that they sell now isn't any where near as good as the old stuff and it isn't even blue any more. :wacko::lol:

Cheers

Got

i havnt noticed that either, but i only use organic any way. could possibly be WA has different reporting requirements? maby all comes under "trace minerals" or some shit. this http://www.charliecarp.com/environment.htm and stuff from these guys http://www.greenlifesoil.com.au/ is what i generally use.

seriously never swim in the swan. between the pollution and sharks its pretty bad let alone eating stuff out of it. and it smells

Edited by brooa