The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
swapper

E.sinica and related legal species?

Ephedra are a genus of spindly succulents that grow in desert conditions in America and Asia. Apparently ONE species is illegal in Australia while others are not illegal. Is my information correct? Can anyone verify?

I've had Ephedra sinica seeds seized by customs, so noticing that similar species Ephedra equisetina , e. viridis , e. intermedia are legal in this country, I want to order some of these species but am worried these will also be seized as they are so similar.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with these other species, growing or ordering them? Does anyone have seeds to sell or trade for these legal species?

Cheers, and look forward to your insights!

I think this question belongs in the legal matters forum. I'd suggest that domestic orders (as a rule of thumb)should always be tried first before even considering importation.

Thanks Psychonaut;

I do genuinely want to obtain some of these species but maybe I will post there with only the legal aspect.

I cannot find any evidence of anyone selling any of the Ephedra species in Australia unfortunately, legal or not, but there must be someone out there growing them?

Cheers for replying!

depends on the customs dipshits...i once ordered a permitted ephedra seed species and received letter informing me they considering prosecuting me for importing ephedrine..when the genus was listed as permitted..customs really does do some fucked stuff at times..meanwhile i had received the same seeds many times before inspected by customs and passed on to me with no hassle...

Edited by applesnail
  • Like 1

I've bought some nevadensis seeds from this website and received them with no trouble. www.allrareherbs.com.au

But yeah, I don't know of anyone else in Australia selling ephedra.

This is a hard question to answer given that you haven't stated a location on your profile, no offence :).

Also what are you talking about ordering? Live plants, dried herb or seeds?

I'm not up on customs laws but with regards to live plants I am only aware of QLD and NSW laws where I believe QLD is a big fuck no for any Ephedra species, whereas NSW the plants themselves are legal to grow. That's the thing with importation, you often have various different laws to consider(customs, state, etc)

SAB sometimes has E.gerardiana(live plants) and also stocks both E.gerardiana and E.sinensis seeds. Also i'm sure there would be some members that could help out. Maybe post in the trading thread.

Hope this helps

Edited by katu

Darksoul, all rare herbs was the only vendor I could find with anything in stock.

As a side note, don't even bother searching for 'ephedra' on herbalistics. The site is set up to return a special message for anyone searching for it.

Look forward to seeing these back on shaman-australis.

Edited by GHBeer

def dont order any ephedra if ur in qld. surely (not certainly) any plant or plant matter than contains a controlled substance, will also be controlled in qld.

Yes dont ever do anything, Ever.

• Like 3

This is a hard question to answer given that you haven't stated a location on your profile, no offence :).

Also what are you talking about ordering? Live plants, dried herb or seeds?

I'm not up on customs laws but with regards to live plants I am only aware of QLD and NSW laws where I believe QLD is a big fuck no for any Ephedra species, whereas NSW the plants themselves are legal to grow. That's the thing with importation, you often have various different laws to consider(customs, state, etc)

SAB sometimes has E.gerardiana(live plants) and also stocks both E.gerardiana and E.sinensis seeds. Also i'm sure there would be some members that could help out. Maybe post in the trading thread.

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot katu for all the info ... never heard of E.gerardiana before! I'm on Mornington Peninsula southeast of Melbourne near the bay so pretty mild winters, and it was just seed I tried to order. What is SAB?

I have never had a problem importing any of the daff/icon approved ephedra seeds into Australia (viridis, nev, etc). Sinica is not illegal (as seed) but is not a permitted import.

You are best off trying to source other species locally, although they're not the easiest to come by as eph rarely flowers in our conditions.

Living in qld I can no longer grow it sadly :(

Good luck!

I have never had a problem importing any of the daff/icon approved ephedra seeds into Australia (viridis, nev, etc). Sinica is not illegal (as seed) but is not a permitted import.

You are best off trying to source other species locally, although they're not the easiest to come by as eph rarely flowers in our conditions.

Living in qld I can no longer grow any species sadly :(