The Corroboree
Evil Genius

The colored San Pedro Flower Project

Wish I had some flowering size trichos besides mutants that rarely flower. Have any links to the colors of flowers you have created so far? :)

• Like 1

I have 3 large flowering/fruiting San P.............and a lot of hybrids that will flower in time

does that count?

sounds like an interesting project, Keen to participate.

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

Absolutely! I am happy for everyone who wants to join! All I´m asking for is that you are an active Member with the Intentions to breed. The seeds i am handing out are extremely rare and there are very few people in the world who breed stuff like this. These are purely selected for their attractive Flowers.

Just to give you an understanding of what kind of Flowers you will get, here are some examples from ebay. Please note that the auctions are totally unrelated examples of the type of Hybrid I am sending and I only include it to show you why it is so important to raise every single seedling. The seed i am giving away is from my 2012 harvest and is still very viable.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Trichocereus-Echinopsis-Hybride-TH-TS126-Neuheit-mit-gezackten-Blutenblatter-/221389026419?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Garten_Blumen_Pflanzen&hash=item338bd07473

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Trichocereus-hybride-Annette-Liske-Kindel-Echinopsis-Kaktus-Kakteen-/111325511234?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Garten_Blumen_Pflanzen&hash=item19eb847e42

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Trichocereus-Echinopsis-WH-2002-16-ASD-01-mit-Knospen-Neuheit-/201070173833?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Garten_Blumen_Pflanzen&hash=item2ed0b75e89

http://www.ebay.de/itm/53-cm-riesige-Sammlungspflanze-APRICOT-GLOW-Trichocereus-Echinopsis-Hybride-/400693882924?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Garten_Blumen_Pflanzen&hash=item5d4b37702c

See what they sell for? That´s why i will only give them to active members. Don´t want to supply cactus nurseries and stuff like this. This type of hybrid is extremely rare and people usually don´t give them away. Don´t care about the money though.

ALL I WANT IS SAN PEDRO HYBRIDS WITH FUNKY FLOWERS!!! :lol:

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 4

Is the focus to use clumping Echinopsis such as "Grandiflorus" and the Schick Hybrids and cross them with the columnars that have been our general focus with the goal of creating fully columnar Trichocereus with colored flowers, or are you not worried about outward form and only with flower color variation? I would love a project that breed colored flowers into T. pachanoi, peruvianus, bridgesii, etc., but looked to retain the fully columnar form with low rib number and minimal spination.

~Michael~

• Like 1

Hi Michael, my main goal is to avoid getting clumping Echinopsis type Plants. Mainly interested in getting classical San Pedro Plants with a colored Flower. In many cases, the body of the mother is dominant so it should Not be a problem to get classic san Pedro colums if people rather use my plants as fathers. But i am looking forward to see crosses in every direction. Both should produce interesting Plants that allow further breeding. But yeah, main focus is on getting columnar san pedro´s.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 5

I'm trying to cross echinopsis with trichocereus right now. Unfortunately I have no flowering trichos. :( (by the time I the seeds grew mature my trichos would flower most likely)

If you gave me some seed I would definitely grow them out.

Edited by hostilis

I don't mean to side track your thread but who was it that 'possibly' crosses a cereus with a trichocereus?

A idea of mine that hopefully comes to life in a few years is a cereus spiralis crossed with a trichocereus. I believe that would make an amazing cross if the spiral trait passes and the cactus are active. I've spread the few seeds I had to 3 members and I might give away a few seedlings next year. This project could be accelerated by a few years if someone would just buy a spiralis cuttings as I've seen those up for auction in the states recently.

Evil Genius great idea on colored flowers for trichocereus. I believe someone on here posted a colored flower a while back or was it a feathered flower?... I could be mistaken.

Edited by modern.shaman
  • Like 2

I have a lobivia x echinops and I hope to cross it with bridgesii. My bridgesii was blooming size and then got knocked over and broken up so now I have to start over. One thing I have heard from echinopsis hybridizers is that most of the seed will make plants that will never bloom and the few that do bloom only a couple of those are worth marketing.

In 2013 I crossed a columnar this

post-3765-0-01889100-1399139553_thumb.jp

with a clumping variegated grandiflorus this

post-3765-0-49558600-1399139759_thumb.jp

and discovered nobody wants the resulting seeds

IMHO the whole deal with the colored flowers phenomenon revolves around cacti plants capable of flowering within a few years from seed germination, which basically rules out anything columnar.

there's a cacti grower/wholesaler in the SW USA who has been hybridizing grandi's for many years and has dozens of them in many different shades of mixed colors, red-yellow-orange-white, etc. Spectacular plants.

& fwiw, earlier micromegas posted a pic of his red flowered flowering columnar in full bloom.

DSC07493.JPG

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33701&p=403707

post-3765-0-01889100-1399139553_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-49558600-1399139759_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-01889100-1399139553_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-49558600-1399139759_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Zelly, i Need that seed! NOW! :) jokes aside, will buy all thats left!

• Like 1

Btw, will respond to all questions when i am back to the desktop pc. Grandiflora hybrids with gf as mother are stunning and beautiful, but not rare. But san pedro trichocereus with a flower in a color other than white are extremely rare. The only san pedro tricho that flowers not white is tulhuaycaensis...and it's almost impossible to get.

I just bought tulhuaycaensis but won't know if it is the real deal or not until it flowers.

Btw, will respond to all questions when i am back to the desktop pc. Grandiflora hybrids with gf as mother are stunning and beautiful, but not rare. But san pedro trichocereus with a flower in a color other than white are extremely rare. The only san pedro tricho that flowers not white is tulhuaycaensis...and it's almost impossible to get.

If it is from sacred succulents, it is! They are the only supplier for it. Outside the us market, the plant is unavailable!

I was thinking of ordering a tulhuaycaensis from SS. Would be awesome to grow such a rare plant.

They guy I got it from was selling plants he had gotten from Sacred Succulents so maybe that was the case. I hope so. I never count my chickens until they have hatched.

If it is from sacred succulents, it is! They are the only supplier for it. Outside the us market, the plant is unavailable!

In 2013 I crossed a columnar this

attachicon.gifv2DSC_0167.jpg

with a clumping variegated grandiflorus this

attachicon.gifgrandiflorusFLRDSC_0160z.jpg

and discovered nobody wants the resulting seeds

IMHO the whole deal with the colored flowers phenomenon revolves around cacti plants capable of flowering within a few years from seed germination, which basically rules out anything columnar.

there's a cacti grower/wholesaler in the SW USA who has been hybridizing grandi's for many years and has dozens of them in many different shades of mixed colors, red-yellow-orange-white, etc. Spectacular plants.

& fwiw, earlier micromegas posted a pic of his red flowered flowering columnar in full bloom.

DSC07493.JPG

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33701&p=403707

I was pretty stoked to buy those seeds actually and they're growing now! Lol. I think there is a couple variegates in the mix too.

• Like 3

Hi Guys, will respond to all your PM´s but please give me a day or two. Really didn´t expect so much positive Feedback & Participants! Fantastic! bye Eg

• Like 3

I don't mean to side track your thread but who was it that 'possibly' crosses a cereus with a trichocereus?

I'm just drying the seed now.

got heaps.

will test a few in a week and see how viable they are.

they look sound.

mother trich..

THEY took a long time to germinate, and only a few have popped up so far....but the cross seems to have been a success...only time will tell. if they show a unique phenotype. Hence not self pollinated.

So what we want is a coloured flowering spiralling columnar trich.

Like San p would be nice , smooooth, spineless.

With names like Jamaican Gold, Emerald Tai and Hawaiian Red :)

I still need to get a spiralling cereus.

Zelly that sounds like an interesting x.

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

taller than a clumper, shorter than a columnar

post-3765-0-79734800-1399425882_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-18084700-1399425900_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-68644200-1399425930_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-51987200-1399425947_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-84210900-1399425966_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-79734800-1399425882_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-18084700-1399425900_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-68644200-1399425930_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-51987200-1399425947_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-84210900-1399425966_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-79734800-1399425882_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-18084700-1399425900_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-68644200-1399425930_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-51987200-1399425947_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-84210900-1399425966_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Stunning!

they would also be extraordinary on a 2m San p or cereus stick.

groves of them.

I guess they would graft onto a stick.

So Zelly how much was the seed? :)

Edited by Dreamwalker

So Zelly how much was the seed?

I snagged the pics off ebay where some guy has actual plants listed, at $25 per plant.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sierra5565/m.html?item=261467250785

Out of the blue, recently a fellow cactiholic sent me fresh cuts of 4 of these types:

post-3765-0-60660400-1399481354_thumb.jp

I got them rooting right now, he seemed to think maybe one would flower for me this yr.

post-3765-0-60660400-1399481354_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-60660400-1399481354_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dF9wzmyeGs8

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 1

Some good Flowers in there! But don´t forget, the goal is to raise a colored flower on a Trichocereus like Peruvians, Pachanoi, Cuzcoensis, Bridgesii, Validus, Terscheckii and so on. I am taking the San Pedro Term very widely because all these Plants have white flowers and because of the long time they take to flower, almost no one crosses in colored Parents.

The Plant in Zelly´s Link or in the Video could be great Fathers btw. Wouldn´t recommend using them as mothers, though, because that would probably result in many Plants that come after the mother and while you can produce great crosses with stunning flowers, that´s actually something for another project. But as fathers, yeah! Go for it!

Edited by Evil Genius