The Corroboree
Darklight

Boletus edulis in NNSW?

I can't find any records of anyone seeing this here before- and I didn't take pics, cos I thought it was probably a common find

But I found what looks like a Boletus edulis yesterday, in open paddock, NNSW, near the dripline of some eucalypts and just down from a pile of timber which burned last year

How likely is this? Does anyone know of anything else which could look similar? I know they happen down south in Vic, but I thought I was too far north

Cap was 100mm, brown, dry and velvety, the underside was pale cream, pores instead of gills, and nothing changed colour after the tissue was damaged- no colour change at all. Stem was solid, almost same diameter along. It didn't change colour when cut either

Stupidly I took it home, cut it up and whacked some in agar, not realising that it needs a tree to associate with to grow :( Shoulda taken a picture instead ). I still have the cap drying, maybe I should try to photograph some spore?

No point in trying to culture the mycelium if it won't fruit that way- unless someone knows of something new?

It's been a drier, colder year than normal for this time of year, we've also had the best year for fieldies I've seen in 10 years

Very hard to say with no pics. Edulis only grows with certain trees though so depends what was nearby.

Could maybe also be Phlebopus marginatus?

Suillus luteus look and taste kinda similar and would be fruiting now, but they only grow on pines afaik.

There are also some native boletes that grow on eucalypts, but I don't think any of them are good eating.

I have found a few native varieties growing near eucalypts that looks somewhat like edulis. I would expect that if it did appear/arrive in new south Wales - that it would be asspciates with oak or similar introduced trees - althoughLepista nida is now completely naturalized and frequently found in eucalypt forest

ZPBG are you implying that Lepista nuda is mycorrhizal?

No not at all. I guess that might be the difference for why nuda has naturalised so easily - it seems to pin readily on any composted leaf matter.