The Corroboree
endorfinder

Ilex guayusa?

Curious to see if anyone is growing this little bad boy. Ilex paraguariensis is easily available as seed and, courtesy of T, in Australia as live plants. My "live" plant died in excess shade sadly, but I still have a decent bit of seed. Ilex guayusa however seems to have never appeared in the online market at all, however, in any form other than dried plant matter.

So has anyone ever encountered a guayusa plant? If so could they get close enough again to propagate it? :)

cheers -ef

ilex is at times a tricky cutting, but it can be re produced by cuttings,

just rejuvenate the plant a lot, and than take the cuttings from, young flushes.

fresh seed is the easiest method of probagation.

mate, is just so cheap to buy, so growing your own has less appeal?

• Like 1

iv never heard of it before, now i want it dammit.

• Like 2

d00d if you think it can be propagated will trade a rooted cutting for 25 yerba mate seeds + love? :*

Although maybe it has a better chance of rooting up here? Sooo hot and humid lately.

ph, not all ilex plants are equal, you know that :P

qf if you're in to caffeine this is your plant... my coffee plants are pretty much useless.

Im into all sort's of shit, lol you know me.

• Like 5

Awesome thanks d00d, might even drop one by qf's place, he's basically just up the road :)

Is your plant old enough to have set seed? Was it propped veg or seed?

• Like 1

No idea mate, haven't seen flowers yet but I reckon if I put it in te ground it'll have a go, maybe soon but I love my potted collection lol! I think it was botanical gardens sourced so whatever the regular propagation used by most of em I guess...

From everything I've read, you would be lucky indeed to get your I. guayusa to set seed.

Many moons ago, I contacted Runa, one of the only suppliers of Guayusa tea, to ask about getting viable seeds. Their response was that I. guayusa simply doesn't set seed and is reproduced entirely from cuttings.

At the time I wasn't convinced, but it appears the folks at Runa may be right. From reading about this plant, the few times that botanists have encountered Guayusa flowers, they have all been imperfectly stamenate. No pistilate flowers have been found, except for the odd deformities which resemble those of I. paraguarensis.

One theory behind this is that Guayusa has been a manmade cultigen for so long that's lost its ability to produce seed.

Here's a fascinating and short article about the botanical search for Guayusa seed, including tidbits referring to its use with ayahuasca.

http://wlbcenter.org/Schultes%20Publications/BotMusLeaf_27_155-160.pdf

• Like 4

Hey mate. I have a potted one about 2ft tall now, heaps of growth and suckers. If I can beat the cold I'll try a cutting for u

Hey Prioritise, I have also been looking for this one for quite some time. If there is a way for me to get a cutting from you down the line I am prepared to go to great lengths (trades, money, back licking) etc. :drool2:

Sure, I'll get Efs off first (sorry mate been slack!) and then let you know. It's raining all today and the weekend so should be nice and healthy to post un rooted as I really cbf trying myself

Thanks heaps Prioritise. You may not be able to see it but I assure you that you have made me do a happy dance :)

Any chance of a trade prioritise?

Ok guys, I got two more bits I can cut and send off unrooted express (wrapped in wet paper towel and foil), but yeh let's do a worthwhile trade for me cos yas have left me with a stump and postage express is about $15 ;) pm me when yas both see this.

Personally don't really care if I can get it to strike quickly enough this time of year :P

Growing it from seed is not as trivial as the internet made it sound.

Hrmmm sorry guys I think it may be a Ilex paraguariensis

I've never followed up on ID til now but yeh

Hey Prioritise. If it is in fact Ilex Paraguariensis I will leave the opportunity open for someone else as I have already aquired some of these for my collection. Hope this doesn't fuck you around too much. Cheers

Potted them up. Think it's an I. p. Gonna taked my chances though, since the cutting was precut I didn't have much to go on!!

Here's hoping I've flushed out the unknown bugs from the T. undulata cuttings I tried recently. -ef