The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dreamwalker.

can you graft in the winter?

so I have a load of san p........................I want to graft seedlings onto these m long sticks..........................................they live in a green house..................its Autumn now and day temps still high but at night its getting down to 15c..............in a few months day temp inside with be in the 20c.............but night will be around 10c...........the odd over-cast week will mean day temps around 12c............Can I graft now and through winter safely?

Edited by Dreamwalker

I have successfully grafted while plants are dormant but it is much tougher to do. I find my success rates increase dramatically when both scion and stock are actively growing as they are more able to fight off infections and whatnot that are common when grafting. YMMV.

• Like 3

Yeh man you can pretty much graft whenever you like, I have. The optimum time to graft is obviously spring and summer while both plants are actively growing and full of life.. But it can be done whenever, as long as you keep it somewhere sheltered from rain and icy temps. Only downfall is not getting to see growth right away but you can usually tell if the scion has taken because it will firm up after a few days.

Just keep the grafts in a temperature controlled environment and all will be well.

• Like 4

there is only one small issue, if as you say, you want to graft onto "m long stock".

long stock, produces very strong growth, so this is very good, but very often, those long sections of stock, will throw more pups than shorter ones...

expect to have to cut off 3 or 4 pups every year, to keep the graft in tip top condition.

a small button, on top of a 100cm stock looks akward, anyway my stock size never exceeds 30cm this day's...

• Like 2

Check my gallery. All grafted 6 months ago In the northern hemisphere. Grown all winter on pereskiopsis. Tough part was keeping the temp and RH ideal. My turbinicarpus started flowering 5 months after germinating. If you are grafting larger things its better to have them both actively growing. My plan is to move them all onto permanent stocks during the grow season.

Edited by afungitobewith
  • Like 2

Check my gallery. All grafted 6 months ago In the northern hemisphere. Grown all winter on pereskiopsis. Tough part was keeping the temp and RH ideal. My turbinicarpus started flowering 5 months after germinating. If you are grafting larger things its better to have them both actively growing. My plan is to move them all onto permanent stocks during the grow season.

wow thats a really awesome collection.....................inspiring mate.....thanks