The Corroboree
-RC-

Psilocybin Mushrooms of SE QLD, Australia

Cube environs = cyan environs. That said I have foraged in paddocks with only cyans, only cubes, cyans then cubes, and cubes and cyans together. :blink:

I reckon it is connected to spore proliferation for sure, but there is likely way more factors involved, amongst which is probably fungicide and herbicide use related to modern agricultural practices. :huh:

F9C4B975-7915-4DD5-B4E7-CE197B878322.thumb.png.b0239a8b60faaa95c4ad6f41274cf458.png 
Northern NSW. Got lucky and found some mega fauna. The cap on the left measured to about 25cm in diameter from its longest points. It was honestly too big to carry. The one the right was the biggest fresh specimen.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2023 at 11:13 PM, -RC- said:

Cube environs = cyan environs. That said I have foraged in paddocks with only cyans, only cubes, cyans then cubes, and cubes and cyans together. :blink:

I reckon it is connected to spore proliferation for sure, but there is likely way more factors involved, amongst which is probably fungicide and herbicide use related to modern agricultural practices. :huh:

My dad always told me you won't find mushrooms in paddocks fertilised with superphosphate.

Perhaps so. I haven't had a chance to look into the fert side, but RoundUp is a fucking no-no when it comes to mycelium :wink:

• Like 1

Half of my pull didnt fit in my dehydrator, so I left so under a fan instead. A bunch have been munched on by some type of grub/larvae all day. Is it worth drying or trying to salvage them?

EEF4EA55-01BF-47AB-9928-52ECB951BE87.jpeg

Also any tips for cleaning? I gave the first batch that went in my dehydrator a good rinse, but the ones under fan I was too scared to have them soaked. Hence they haven’t been rinsed but I did brush off most of the dirt. Can this be a problem?

11 hours ago, Strontium Dawg said:

My dad always told me you won't find mushrooms in paddocks fertilised with superphosphate.

You rarely see fertiliser used around the dairy farms around south east QLD. If you see dead thistles in the paddocks it will be a spot spray by the farmer, No mush luck around that. 

Edited by oncewhywechange

5 minutes ago, oncewhywechange said:

5 minutes ago, oncewhywechange said:

11 hours ago, Strontium Dawg said:

Edited by oncewhywechange

2 hours ago, Excalibr3 said:

Half of my pull didnt fit in my dehydrator, so I left so under a fan instead. A bunch have been munched on by some type of grub/larvae all day. Is it worth drying or trying to salvage them?

EEF4EA55-01BF-47AB-9928-52ECB951BE87.jpeg

That's maggots bro. I assume the mushrooms were soggy and a bit over-moist?

Also any tips for cleaning? I gave the first batch that went in my dehydrator a good rinse, but the ones under fan I was too scared to have them soaked. Hence they haven’t been rinsed but I did brush off most of the dirt. Can this be a problem?

I would guess that once they are dry any dirt would be easy to remove.

One more thing. RC, is your book still available?

Fo sho!

17 hours ago, -RC- said:

That's maggots bro. I assume the mushrooms were soggy and a bit over-moist?

Yeah I guess so. The ones that got ravaged by them were the older looking end of the batch.

I dehydrated a second batch around 80 degrees. There were a couple caps that had possibly 1 or two maggots here n there, from what I’ve read there shouldn’t be anything too serious to be concern about. I hope they right, but also I feel like I unknowingly do this all the time anyway.

17 hours ago, -RC- said:

Fo sho!

Awesome, I’m keen to give it a read

• Like 1

Some reasonable falls around the Sunny Coast, with decent humidity too!

Although we haven't had the usual rainfall this season they are still about if you look hard enough. Today's find from an hour's walk.

20230429_160211.jpg

• Like 2

Heaps 'o cubes! 

Despite the lack of rain the cubes and pans are still to be found. We have been having some heavy dews which tends to sustain the more shady and sheltered mushroom habitats quite late into the season ;)

• Like 1

I tried a spot known to have cubes around the qld/nsw border. I could only find ones that looked like this. Most were golden ontop but some odd ones had purple caps. They all had the exact same veil on their stems.

Could someone please help me Identify them? Some where Identical to the cubes I’ve seen in field except for the veil and no bruising.

16C99384-BDE8-4B59-9447-E04C19C6C7EF.jpeg

64C5291C-C42D-44FE-9EB2-CB013962460D.jpeg

• Like 1

Psilocybe cubensis I reckon. I would say that one is about a day before maggot and slop slop town.

The veil remnant, or annulus, for me is a big identifier for cubensis, and I look for it for partial confirmation. 

The purple colouration is from spore dispersal, and again is another huge identifier for me, as cubensis spores are dark purple. If you see it, it means there has been prime conditions for dispersal, and usually the mushrooms have come up in crowded clutches of at least two or more, one usually towering over the other. 

The ‘maggots’ are likely to be fungus gnat larvae, little bastards that they are.  

Been seeing Toadstools popping up everywhere last two days thought I'd check a local spot. Looked great from afar but no Cigar, not a Goldtop in sight. Signs for a season to come though maybe, When do you expect first flush RC?

Screenshot_20231124_164235_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swampdonkey said:

Been seeing Toadstools popping up everywhere last two days thought I'd check a local spot. Looked great from afar but no Cigar, not a Goldtop in sight. Signs for a season to come though maybe, When do you expect first flush RC?

Screenshot_20231124_164235_Gallery.jpg

I've had a number of peeps out there flick me pics already for IDs. It depends on where you are though re rainfall as it's been super localised. 

I just want to take the opportunity to put it out there that there are optimal conditions which are harm reductive to forage in. By that I mean, in the right conditions there will be little other mushrooms to confuse active ones with, and there will be a lot more available, making exposure to other less-favourable 'random variables' due to excessive time in the field attracting unwanted attention. Remember, one of the most harmful things about mushrooms are the laws surrounding their use and possession :wink: :BANGHEAD2:

Edited by -RC-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone know of any spots near Cali? Or has Aura wiped them all out?

I am not living in Witta this year. So no daily checks for me. Although I was up in the hinterland today didn't get out to the farm but it was dry most places I stopped to look from the road, with only a few Pan Ants visible 

Edited by Hunter Gatherer
  • Like 1

Big rain expected this coming weekend. :)