The Corroboree
Guest Psilo_smylin

Virola theiodora

Guest Psilo_smylin

Anyone know of this existing as seed or plant for sale online or growing in Australia (botanical gardens etc).

Leagality(Aust).

Guest Psilo_smylin

This must obviously not be a popular topic.

Taboooo ey?

I'll take it down soon ok. frown.gif

I have not been able to find any virolas in any collection in australia.

Guest Psilo_smylin
Originally posted by azza:

Virola theiodora?

give me a bit of backgound on what this plant is used for.

hi azza.

The best reference I know of it comes from Plants of the Gods by R.E Schultes and A.Hofmann.

Otherwise you'll probly find many references to Ayahuasca brews.

To My knowledge>>

It is used in shamanism for Dream Change Ceremonies in the Amazon basin, wherin the participant having had a powdered resin extract of Virola blown into the nostrils via a bamboo tube, falls to the ground and begins an intense "spiritual journey" usually guided by and shaman.

It is a very interesting practice.

Persew wisdom.

Smylin wink.gif

Guest mulga

Whilst Virola is (or at least was) a relatively common tree from the Amazon, from the Myristicaceae or Nutmeg family. It has, and I believe continues to be widely logged for timber throughout the Amazon basin. Perhaps they are replanting some, but I believe it is largely sourced from mature forests..... and as far as I know is hardly grown at all outside Amazonia.

Being a rainforest tree it's seeds have a short viability and it seems are not often available anywhere, if ever.

They would probably need a tropical humid environment to live in, north Qld or somewhere like that. Or perhaps they might adjust to sub-tropical coastal areas, it's hard to know without trying them. They sound like they would be similar in form and nature to the nutmegs or Myristica as plants, of which northern Australia is home to a few already.