The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
theuserformallyknownasd00d

Pest ID

Hey guys I've had this problem with by bechette for a few years now. These little white blobs appear all the the trunk and under the leaves. A few disappear with various sprays etc but they come back strong. I've been putting praying mantis here in the non spray times and they hang around but don't make a dent at all!

post-9832-0-20876300-1394925833_thumb.jp

post-9832-0-02617900-1394925875_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

unfortunately, the pics are shaky and out of focus, which doesn't help your cause.

ok, I don't know what it is, but it could be the result of pest animals, damaging the tissue, and than the white fluff appears as a result.

I have seen white spots similar like yours, when taking cuttings in a glass of water, and in this case, it's callus forming.

none of the pics shows the white dots, you mentioned, located at the underneath of the leaves, so we can't say anything about it.

the 2nd pic shows though an other pest problem, spider mite, to be precise (the small spider web sort of thingy).

maybe the white dots are as well brought on, by high humidity and temperature, similar like when callus forms during probagation of cuttings, only thing is that your whole plant thinks it's a cutting.

anyway, we don't know how the plant is kept so, we can't say...

• Like 1

I PH, the plant is kept on a balcony with no direct light.

You're right, I didn't photograph the bottom of the leaves, because the majority of the problem is on the stem, those little white dots are what I'm talking about, they are the pest themselves. They've been with the plant from when I received it a few years back. They rub off when you rub them, leaving the green stem underneath.

Sorry for the shakey photos, I can't do any better focusing in the stem, and they don't appear in the photos when I do the underside. Yep there's probably some soider mite, but I have them occasionally on most things and they never leave the white blobs. They specifically came with the tree and were originally said to be leaf miners, but they do not mine be leaf :-/ I have several large 4ft viridis and catha right next to it, some leafs touching, and they never jump over.

I originally though wasp eggs but they are like no wasp egg I've ever seen and multiply like a living organism... None of the dots are uniform and all diff shapes etc. Hopefully this description helps out or I'm off to find a postal bug ID service...

faszinating, no idea what it is than, but it sounds to me as it could be something else, and not a pest.

let's hope in given time, some of the other bechette growers can tell us more.

at least she is still growing strong, this further might suggest it's not a pest.

From the pictures it looks to me like it could be a scale infestation of some sort.