The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
trippygardener

Seeking cacti propagation & Care advice

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have came to seek any help or knowledge that you are willing to share with me about one of my beloved T. Scops.

I am still pretty new to caring and growing cactus and the specimen in question is one of my very first Trichocereus' I purchased just over 2 years ago. Since getting here I have had a few problems with her and similar cacti. Most of what has happened I have come to see if anyone might have any insight into what exactly is causing these issues and/or how to stop them from arising.

Below is what is left of my scop. She was cut on the 28 of February this year. I have kept them in a dry place under cover out of direct sunlight for the last 2 weeks in hopes of it callusing over so I can re-pot the tip and also watch beautiful new growth from the stump.

20140313_170119.jpg

This is my first attempt at propagating cactus by cuttings so I am more or less wondering if this looks healthy and if possible a rough estimate on repotting the tip. I am almost about to hit 14 days and was reading 2 - 3 weeks is usually the right time. I was going to wait another week and repot it next Friday. But if there is a better time to repot id love to know

20140313_170135.jpg20140313_170355.jpg

The next pictures are really my main concerns. When I purchased this scop it was pot bound really dehydrated and had a few of these black spots. It really looked like it need some TLC, so I grabbed her. I have had these black spots pop up all over the place over the time usually they just kind of dry out or something and go a kind of yellow/sunburnt looking colour and scar. I always thought it may be some sort of fungus attack and they havent to date caused any catastrophic damage... Just not sure what it is and how to prevent it. I only recall seeing it on my scop and not my other trichs.

20140313_170150.jpg20140313_170158.jpg

This is the stump... The stump also seems to have some blackening underneath the skin as you can see below (Kind of looks dark green in the pic, but is pretty black in person). It looks like it is just trailing around the star shape of the cactus.. I am assuming it is the same cause as the black dots but was actually fearing it may be rot... So was curious? dont want it to spread and if possible would like to stop it. Even tho these were cut on the same day the tip has seemed to swell a lot more than the stump. I suspect this to be with the soil retaining moisture or something like that but would love an actual explanation, cause my mind loves making things up sometimes :P

20140313_170222.jpg20140313_170207.jpg

And the last picture is something that has just arisen or I have just noticed. It may be a little hard to tell in this photo, but there are 2 little orange dots below the 2nd and 3rd areoles, another fungus, pest attack?

20140313_170333.jpg

My apologies if it is a bit photo/text heavy, But after looking around these threads I know you guys have extensive knowledge and love for cacti and succulents, so any advise or comments are much appreciated.

Trippygardener :wub:

Hi Trippy Gardener, pretty sure that´s Scale. Just have a look around about how to deal with it. They´ll live. ;)

I used to stress about cuttings callousing, but now I'm over it.

If you stick it in the ground (and don't wet the soil) it'll root in it's own time. This may take a while so don't stress too much. I've seen old old cuttings that shoot out roots too, so if you don't want to plant it yet you can wait till then emerge.

The cut may go super skinny and drawn in after a while, this seems to happen while it's putting out massive root systems. It'll fatten up. Resist the urge to pull it up and look if it has roots. If you have to do this do it as little as possible.

Scops seems to get black bruises easily, I never worry about them much. The red dots are probs nothing at all. I'm looking at one right now that I know is healthy that has a few red dots around the base... Though scale is a common thing that you should look into.

I just let nature do it's thing. Scops seem to do super well (the bunnings hybrid anyway).

I'm sure you have but UTSE. Most of this stuff is already just a few clicks away. Welcome to SAB

Just so you know, I'm pretty new around here too, so don't take what I say to seriously, or as the correct info. There are stacks of people whom I've learned from who know way more that I do!

IMO, the tip cut looks pretty healthy and the black dots should be nothing to worry about. Superficial damage of any kind seems to cause them in my bridgesii plants.

The base though may have some issues. In the last pic, it's hard to tell but at the soil line there appears to be a black spot creeping up. That, along with the bruises and blacking at the cut edge, make me think it's serious. If it were my plant, I would unpot it to see if root rot is present. The tip cut really shouldn't be fatter than the base if the roots are functioning.

just my 2c

Hi Guys, well, I agree and disagree at the same Time. Totally agree, the cactus is healthy. I wouldn´t be worried about it either. I am not an Oracle, but I think the Blackening on the bottom is nothing. Just bruising or something like that. Could get worse, but bruising like that is quite common. Maybe the beginning of a benign black rot or sth like that.

The resolution of the pics is not good enough to say for sure, but I think there is a Bug on the pic. I drew an original Picture of the situation to show what i mean.

post-1140-0-11152100-1394782163_thumb.jp

The thing i circled could be a Bug. The One Bug won´t kill it but where´s one there are usually more. And the stuff on the Tip appear like Scale to me. Second Option would be scarring, but I´ve seen Scale that looked very similar.

post-1140-0-11152100-1394782163_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-11152100-1394782163_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

I used to stress about cuttings callousing, but now I'm over it.

If you stick it in the ground (and don't wet the soil) it'll root in it's own time. This may take a while so don't stress too much. I've seen old old cuttings that shoot out roots too, so if you don't want to plant it yet you can wait till then emerge.

The cut may go super skinny and drawn in after a while, this seems to happen while it's putting out massive root systems. It'll fatten up. Resist the urge to pull it up and look if it has roots. If you have to do this do it as little as possible.

Scops seems to get black bruises easily, I never worry about them much. The red dots are probs nothing at all. I'm looking at one right now that I know is healthy that has a few red dots around the base... Though scale is a common thing that you should look into.

I just let nature do it's thing. Scops seem to do super well (the bunnings hybrid anyway).

I'm sure you have but UTSE. Most of this stuff is already just a few clicks away. Welcome to SAB

Awesine, I had a friend who has never really let them callus over and dont think his ever had problems. From the sounds of it the scops are pretty tough this one I pick up from collectors corner had a few minor issues and always came back strong. I also never came across scale so appreciate you and Evil Genius bringing that to my attention, and thanks for the welcome :D

IMO, the tip cut looks pretty healthy and the black dots should be nothing to worry about. Superficial damage of any kind seems to cause them in my bridgesii plants.

The base though may have some issues. In the last pic, it's hard to tell but at the soil line there appears to be a black spot creeping up. That, along with the bruises and blacking at the cut edge, make me think it's serious. If it were my plant, I would unpot it to see if root rot is present. The tip cut really shouldn't be fatter than the base if the roots are functioning.

just my 2c

Thanks for your input, I also forgot to mention on the stump with the black patch between the 2 areoles had a litlle bit of what looked like black tree sap. I though it was back liquid and went scratch at it and it came of like sap... It was super tiny like a droplet. I didnt know to check on root rot so I will give it a little longer and if things look like there going bad I will be sure to do that, cheers.

Hi Guys, well, I agree and disagree at the same Time. Totally agree, the cactus is healthy. I wouldn´t be worried about it either. I am not an Oracle, but I think the Blackening on the bottom is nothing. Just bruising or something like that. Could get worse, but bruising like that is quite common. Maybe the beginning of a benign black rot or sth like that.

The resolution of the pics is not good enough to say for sure, but I think there is a Bug on the pic. I drew an original Picture of the situation to show what i mean.

attachicon.gifPokemon.JPG

The thing i circled could be a Bug. The One Bug won´t kill it but where´s one there are usually more. And the stuff on the Tip appear like Scale to me. Second Option would be scarring, but I´ve seen Scale that looked very similar.

Thanks for the advice and info. Also A+ on the drawing love it :P That is really interesting about the bug. Would you have any idea if it was dangerous to the cactus? I recently had one of my bridgesii munched on which would have been literally over night and it took decent chunks out... It all dried over now and looks like its going to continue to grow just has a bit of a munched on appearance now. They were all close together at that time and split them up because of it..