The Corroboree
Dreamwalker.

How to induce flowering in cacti, hormones, gibberellic acid, photoperiodism, plant biostimulants etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassinolide

Brassinolide is a plant hormone. The first isolated brassinosteroid,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20-hydroxyecdysone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stemmacantha_carthamoides

Rhaponticum carthamoides, also known as Maral root or Rhaponticum,..............

Might be a good natural insecticide as well

Thanks Auxin :)

Edited by Dreamwalker.

No, the GA3 stuff I posted was true.

• Like 1

Might be a good natural insecticide as well

I once had the same thought, then I grew it. Not only does the bastard take several years to grow out but I observed the strangest thing- in addition to native bees attracted by the wonderful smell, ants are major pollinators! The very critters its supposed to harm, they go out of their way to climb the meter tall flowers and frolic in the pollen!

I'm far from convinced that plants produce ecdysteroids as a defense mechanism. Anti-moulting would be a very inefficient strategy to begin with, and on top of that most plants with known ecdysteroids (like spinach) only produce a few ppm. I think its a "undiscovered" plant hormone class.

• Like 1

Okay guys I read through all this the other day, I have a trichocereus sp that I am really keen on getting to flower as its new and my dad got it for me.

My girlfriend is on the pill and we have just got a new prescription as she was almost out of them. I am thinking I will take 7 out and try and get the homie to flower. How many of them would I need to use to get it to flower successfully and are there any negative effects of it.

• Like 1

Jokes aside, i have no idea. If you mess with the Hormonal System in people, it might have unpredictable side-effects like cancer and I wouldn't be surprised if the same would apply for cacti. The Fact that this works to induce flowering doesn't mean your plant will live a long and healthy life if you do this regularly in extreme doses, you know? If you don´t overdo it over years, I am pretty optimistic it wouldn't have so many side-effects. But every chemical has a point, when it becomes dangerous if the dosage exceeds a certain amount. There is obviously no official Science being done with that so I would suggest you try with a lot of less important plants. And if you are using it on a prized plant, don´t start with an excessive dose right away. We blasted the plants with it because we used it on Echinopsis that put out pups like Smarties. So it wouldn't have been a problem if we lost a Plant because we had enough backup. But in case of a 50 Year old loph, for example, i wouldn´t recommend it.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

I'm guessing the optimal time for dosing would be in the spring as they come out of dormancy?

You said 5 or 6 pills, but in what dilution? Theres a big difference between a deciliter and a cubic meter, lol

• Like 1

Yeah okay, I don't really wanna hurt my boy brutis. I can't imagine it being anything but bad for the cactus, But it would be very interesting to find the ld50 for this on trichocereus, maybe one day.

I would probs put one pill into like a 1l solution or maybe less if I was to do this.

• Like 2

Yeah okay, I don't really wanna hurt my boy brutis. I can't imagine it being anything but bad for the cactus, But it would be very interesting to find the ld50 for this on trichocereus, maybe one day.

I would probs put one pill into like a 1l solution or maybe less if I was to do this.

I think Auxin has a good point "optimal time for dosing would be in the 'MID'-spring as they come out of dormancy"................you need I think............a certain day length "photoperiod". so the cacti is all primed......then nudge it a little with estrogen ........................on a side note if you take your girlfriends pills......won't she start pupping? :)

• Like 2

hahahah maybe but I hope not

• Like 1

If you rub BAP on her areoles (nipples) she should pup. This will work with anyone.

• Like 3

I wonder if I ate some of those pills I would flower... I'll report back with my findings.

or grow a va-jay-jay...

• Like 4

If I understood well using GA3 to induce flowering would render seedless fruit, that right?

If I understood well using GA3 to induce flowering would render seedless fruit, that right?

I can't say for certain.......the results seem mixed........and I know GA3 is used commercially to induce fruiting in cactus crops from opuntia to dragon fruit.............they would all have seeds...........I suspect getting the concentration right and time of application/photoperiod, temp. may be important, though I think I read that it was used in the Philippine's to grow fruit out of season, hence better market price.

EG's pill or something with high estrogen seems the cheapest option. Although if you purchase GA3 in bulk from a Horticultural supplier it may be more reasonable and you could probably sell off the excess.

That is what happened to me, but there weren't enough results to say it for sure. It was only with 3 flowers.

just bought on egay uk 10grams of the stuff. going to use a low concentration solution, maybe 10-20 ppm. Wont spray, will water the roots... to nourish the plants not really wanting to create something to "spectacular"

just bought on egay uk 10grams of the stuff. going to use a low concentration solution, maybe 10-20 ppm. Wont spray, will water the roots... to nourish the plants not really wanting to create something to "spectacular"

again ...only guessing..........but shouldn't it be applied to the skin/body of the cactus..................so it has a local action to the cells it contacts...............

yes, some even use detergent in the solution to "stick it" more effectively to green tissue. but i want to go low profile on this one, I want seed and an overall effect : roots,growth,nutrient absorption, etc..

might as well mix it with some ganja flowering nutrients...

• Like 1

I honestly wouldn't use GA3 on a plant unless it was grafted and in that case you only want to spray on the scion. Unless you want the stock to go wild with growth as well.

I think I've come up with a non-chemical based technique that seems to be producing results.

I'm waiting on results from two more plants....

the biggest key to success though is plant maturity

• Like 2

I ordered from mbferts he is a really good guy and was very honest with me and even tried to help me find some information for using them on cacti. I have Gibberellic acid and 6-benzylaminopurine.

Edited by doxneed2c-me
  • Like 1

Hey mate,

Are you in Aus? I was interested in ordering a few hormones etc off of MBferts, but the company never replied to my email about shipping.

Cheers

I am in Canada however I did talk to him about shipping to AU since I told him I was on a forum with lots of people from AU and he said it would be fine. He was a bit slow to answer on the weekend. Don't worry he will reply he has the cheapest plant growth regulators I could find. He was even nice enough to switch to the cheapest method he could for shipping.