The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sol

Plant suggestions ...

Hi,

I've been recently researching ethnobotany and wanted to expand my knowledge by trying to grow some plants of my own. I'm especially fascinated with the psycho-active varieties but there is so much to choose from it's difficult to know where to start. So I decided that I might let my landscape do the deciding for me.

I have a very particular block of land, my backyard is around 1,000m2, originally we were planning to build on the land but it has 3 natural springs underground flowing constantly. This has resulted in the soil being quite peaty/boggy with poor drainage. There's hundreds of Calla Lilies growing there, especially in winter when 1/4 of the backyard is flooded underwater.

What plants (psycho-active or not) would benefit from such a soil?

Thank you

Not many acacias/cacti like poor draining soil.

Have you considered using pots to plant things in?

On second thought, my Mimosa Hostillis loves plenty of water and grows an absurd amount of roots. They're truly a pleasure to grow from seed.

I'd say that would be your best bet in the psychoactive department. If you plant them intelligently your backyard may no longer flood in the future!

Best of Luck

hey dude , I would tap into that water. and start raising sum garden beds. I would dam the flooded area. and plant brugs everywhere lol

• Like 1

I can think of a few, but they're all liable to become a bit weedy. How much of a problem would that be?

Lemongrass likes soggy soil, it'll go nuts. Ditto for sorrel. Gingers like moisture too - the roots may rot if it's too wet, but might be worth trying a few to see how they go in the drier areas - the family has ginger, galangal, turmeric, cardamom, plus a whole bunch of decorative varieties. Mints pretty much the same deal. "Rice-paddy herb" Limnophila aromatica is a tasty small-leafed plant that's used in Vietnamese food like pho, very attractive and easy to grow if it doesn't frost. Gotu kola and native violets and any other kind of violets for that matter. Tree ferns, other ferns. If you're not worried about their weed potential, selaginellas are beautiful and like wet shady spots, this one is S.wildenowii "peacock fern"

98013458.BiFLlGow.IMG_0262DS.jpg

For the really wet bits you could try starting a sphagnum swamp. Carnivorous plants would probably like it too.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions guys, Mimosa Hostillis sounds interesting but being in W.A seems to limit you in the stuff you can get here.

What are some fast growing plants that contain sedative properties (I do night work and falling asleep is difficult) or dmt and would benefit from Perth weather and a wetland type of soil (the neighbours willow trees grow like crazy)? I also have a water creek flowing behind my house towards the river.

White Willow would do well and always worth having (pain killer/anti-coagulant/anti-inflammatory), You could throw in a variety of lillies, most of which have a nice sedative/euphoric effect. I would be growing a whole lot of callamus, does really well in the wet. Otherwise just grow heaps of tubors, lots of reedy natives have edible bulbs.

edit your post bro. dont go dropping the d bomb in such a obvious manner

• Like 1