The Corroboree
Darklight

Seeking *female* carob trees x 3

I have three mature carob trees- last year I was told those trees are female and was seeking pollen

This year I do some checking. All my trees are male. All of them. And I've waited heaps of years to find this out

Geez I have the shits about this, what a waste of time

Bisexual trees are available grafted at Daley's, at $100 for a mature tree and $40 for a seedling, should be available soon

But I figure I won't bother with bisexual trees, I have a pollen donor, I'll just kill two of the male trees and whack some female ones in

Does anyone know of a source for grafted female carobs? Or definitely identified female carob trees for planting ( I'm unsure if cuttings strike )

Interested to purchase at a reasonable price. Spending $100 needs some serious justification right now, even for an advanced female carob tree

• Like 1

Try google search limestone station carob trees.. Or I will send a link when I get home later, I emailed the bloke, Colin I think his name is, he quoted me $25 each for grafted trees, multiple nice varieties, though I still haven't enquired as to what the minImum order is, I think they are mainly wholesale but may also do smaller orders.. From what I can tell they are good quality trees anyway

• Like 3

Not sure if this is relevant but I think when the flowers first emerge & are undeveloped the male & female flowers can have a somewhat similar structure. Disregard if you have already double checked but it's still very early in the flowering season.. It is here anyhow..

• Like 1

Hey wow ta, I followed that link earlier from another page and it was broken. Works fine now.

Waiting for them to call back, will see if they do retail

My trees are all definitely male and have been flowering for a few years now :(

bugger, well at least you have a a good pollen supply.. according to that website, grafted trees will begin to flower from 3-4 years, hang in there, i'm sure the time will fly by..

I bought some female/hermaphrodite carobs from Limestone station in 2010. I bought 10 only so i think you can get smaller orders. Three of them have 30-50 pods on them this year only i have no idea what to do with carob pods!! Their plants are fairly small but healthy, one thing i had issue with was very rampant growth from below the graft (while i have been away) and i've pretty much lost the female part of a few of them now. Extremely hardy plants.

cool to hear micro.. what to do with carob pods? i LOVE just munching them raw! as far as i'm concerned thats the best use for them.. so delicious!

http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Carob/CarobSex1-93.htm

this is quite interesting, might have to look into it a bit more. ive got 20 or so seedlings going at the moment & i'm keen to start propagating hundreds as soon as i can next harvest some nice old trees i know of in a nearby town..

not sure where to get a hold of 'Mandl paint' though

maybe i should start a new thread?

Well i never considered eating them raw paradox. They have a very strong pleasant smell though.

My understanding of carobs was the females from seed were extremely rare.

really? i've never read that, i haven't grown any from seed to maturity yet but i figured it would be a 50/50 chance of each sex like many diecious species..

raw beans are awesome.. at least the ones i have eaten, not sure what cultivars, just random fruiting females i've come across in various places. in my experience raw beans have been way better than any 'chocolate substitute' product ive ever had.. though i really like most carob 'chocolate' too..

• Like 1

i just read from a reputable source that from seed generally it's about 50% males & about 1% hermaphrodite.. bean quality & sugar content would be a toss up..

I thought the term Mandl paint was a typo, never seen it before now.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101108033235AASDanj

Turns out it's an iodine paint.

And the recipe:

Name: Iodine 1.25% and Potassium Iodide 2.5% in Glycerin, Human, Veterinary Formula Number: 2531 Synonyms: Mandl's Paint; Compound Iodine Paint, BPC; Mandl Paint Components: Iodine
Potassium Iodide
Water, Purified USP
Peppermint Oil
Glycerin

Is Spring again. Seeking definite female carob trees for trade only