The Corroboree
doxneed2c-me

How Long to Sprout Thread

For all questions pertaining to how long it may take cacti or succulent seeds to sprout.

If other people use this I will compile the answers.

My question is how long does it take Echinopsis pachanoi to spout?

Edited by doxneed2c-me
  • Like 1

Depends on moon, seeds, weather, season, medium... anywhere from 2 days to a month probs.

Edited by doublebenno
  • Like 1

Generally good fresh seed should sprout between 1-14 days. I've had them sprout with 12 hrs of being started with the Baggie method. Tho you may have stragglers after that time.

Edit to say keeping the soil warm also helps. 75-80F/21-27C seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Edited by EthnoGuy85
  • Like 2

only new to planting seeds but echo the above post for all trich seeds i've planted

Edited by bot6

If cacti haven't sprouted after 2 weeks on an 10hr heating pad is it safe to assume the seeds are duds?

^ no sometimes it can take alot longer than that for them to sprout

Nah you're better off waiting a few weeks, open the baggie n let 'em dry out for a day or so then re-hydrate the environment, some stragglers might germinate then.

• Like 1

I repotted year old seedlings yesterday that had what looked like week old seedlings that just recently popped up.

• Like 4

If cacti haven't sprouted after 2 weeks on an 10hr heating pad is it safe to assume the seeds are duds?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! They can take much longer than that. Besides, heating pad might be the problem. Leave it away; cacti don´t require heating pads if the room temperature and the seed are ok. Put em in a room with a temperature of about 25 degrees and make sure they have light! That´s important. Besides, did you bury them? Heating Pad can be beneficial but I would only recommend that for the experts.

What seed was it again and where did you get it? I know most commercial seed sellers and some sell bad seed.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

in that case i wont throw away my validus from wsf... or the kotschoubeyanus and cuzcoensis for that matter.

nice thread!

I find a heated propogator helps but im in uk and usually use winter for cacti gardening until now

In winter I would leave it on all the time, it raises temps by about 10C above the ambient room temp that it's in, so at night it will be cooler anyway

This spring I started to switch it off in the day about midday and I don't switch it back on again until its cold about midnight or thereabouts.

I find the temp fluctuating between 16C and 28-30C the fastest way to germinate any cacti seeds so far for me, but I've only been germinating cacti for 2 winters and got really hooked this last winter and am still doing it into spring, incidentally this is how I germinated different aya species also.

I will find out if the pelecyphora aselliformis likes this treatment soon i hope, valdeziana and all the trichocerea and lophs i find certainly do.

Also , I found this which looks interesting http://www.lophophora-williamsii.de/shop/page/8?shop_param=

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

A little bit more precise please? Is this the stock that originally came from Koehres? If so, germination rate is not good.

Unspeakable One! What is wsf? If they got their Validus from Koehres, forget it. Had 20.000 Seed and none(!) germinated. The seed from sacred succulents was ok, but was difficult. Cuzcoensis might be from Köhres too. Very poor germination rates!

Generally speaking, Köhres has plenty of good seed, but some of it is very outdated because it came from Knize. That seed was probably produced when the Egypts built the Pyramids. A Mammouth was probably stomping on it.

• Like 1

I repotted year old seedlings yesterday that had what looked like week old seedlings that just recently popped up.

had exactly the same thing happen to me this season i finally potted up about 500 badly neglected bridge seedlings from last summer all still in their containers

and there was loads of small seedlings coming up in there i think they were to overcrowded and alot didnt get enough light

as i potted em up slowly over a month allowing more light in there more and more seemed to be germinating in there

you can see how overcrowded they were hahaha i had tens of thousands of seeds so i just poured em in there haha

DSC_6085_zpsd5dda286.jpg

i planted some A. asterias and a fissuratus seed out a couple weeks ago seeds are atleast a yr old all germinated by the second day

kohres seed to which surprised me because i havent always had the best germ rates from their seed

i do use a heat pad and it works great for me my climate is not always the best though

our temperatures can vary dramatically all the time no matter wat time of the year it is but especially in summer could be 40C one day and 18 and cold and raining the next

Edited by myco
  • Like 2

I have found astrophytums to be the fastest to sprout from seed. So if ones is sowing astros along other genuses, he can expect the astros to sprout first.

• Like 3

A little bit more precise please? Is this the stock that originally came from Koehres? If so, germination rate is not good.

Unspeakable One! What is wsf? If they got their Validus from Koehres, forget it. Had 20.000 Seed and none(!) germinated. The seed from sacred succulents was ok, but was difficult. Cuzcoensis might be from Köhres too. Very poor germination rates!

Generally speaking, Köhres has plenty of good seed, but some of it is very outdated because it came from Knize. That seed was probably produced when the Egypts built the Pyramids. A Mammouth was probably stomping on it.

hi sorry for the delayed answer

wsf is west seed farm ;)

and so far the koeh seeds have all begun to sprout with the exception of fulvilanus, tacaquirensis, but werdermannianus just sprouted one today, only one pelecyph asseliformis tho

it is early days but the koehres seeds also gave me a varigated white macrogonus

luckily I got some validus from he who be cactus hero 2014 - zelly (and probably longer before I got "rescued") and they're germinating like wildfire already :D

I will transfer my seed list and germination scores so far in a post in what I did to my cacti today, and try to remember also; the dates they were sowed

(all this month and half of last month) - edit - looks like here is a more relevant place to post that so I will...

incidentally I couldn't find any validus from koehres and the sole supplier i could find was west seed farm/east seed farm/sonofdad who had identical listings saying it had a red flower and picturing one with a white flower

as did the descrip at wss who didn't have the stock in or the picture as far as I could see.

so far nobody else I can find, that will ship them to me; has validus at all, even if they usually do, it's most certainly out of stock now but

personally speaking... thank goodness that hunt is over ;)

gallery_14443_758_881114.jpg

I couldn't be arsed to type all that out so took a pic :P I forgot to write 4 huizache and 9 PCpachX(ss01Xss02) germinated too...

and in case I hadn't said, yes that's 11 cuatrocienegas from only 10 seeds

oh yeah add to that 1000 "mischung" mixed tricho species and 4 germinated so far - 2x500 in 2 half standard seed trays

and 3 home grown loph w seedlings

totalling to date since about mid feb 138 successful germinations already out of 310 seeds sowed not including the mixed species batches of 2x500

doxneed2c-me assuming they were moist the entire time they are duds and I would complain to WSS and they may resend seeds depending on how long ago you ordered. I have had mixed results from WSS and recently also had low germination from a batch of seeds.

Heating pads are not necessary and may actually inhibit germination if temperature become too high or the soil dries out due to the bottom heat. Next time you attempt germinating seeds do not use heating pads unless very cold.

it is the uk here

and I go into cactus seed mode the last 2 winters since discovering them and having fuck all else to do in winter...

....at least our cold slays off a lot of bugs and illness...and this winter flew by thanks to cacti germinating with bottom heat...

so being without bottom heat isnt really an option for me and is completely necessary beyond all shadow of a doubt - and then some,

if i think about last years winter being around -16C in feb and then the freak snow even heavier in march2013!

and they make germination very efficient indeed,

I find cold to be the greatest inhibitor of germination here, it beats heat hands down every time without fail.

and bottom heat is more of a constant reliable than nature here - so long as you dont have a crap propogator/heat pad that will over-cook your seeds.

but yeah since the germination spilled over to spring this year im finding i need to turn them off in the day for a few hours most days

all day long on the sunny days..except the last 2 days which required them to stay on all day and all night but this is greenhouse effect

that is making it warm enough on the days that it is warm.

maybe next month i can switch em off for the last time of the year seeing as its a mild year so far...

but its only 8 watts per propogator on the 2 new ones and 12 watts for 2 the old ones... thats the same power as a 40w ye olde light bulb.

I already wrote back to west seed farm and they said what do want us to do about it? lol

and with the description on the listing..., and now I'm a little wiser: I dont think I'd want some replacement seeds anyway - red flowering clumping validus?

with a pic of a white flowering validus?... :)

and if theyre world seed supply too... I have species that I wouldn'tve been able to get anywhere else thanks to them.

they were the first international supplier i tried after giving up with the rip-off uk ones

I might even have seemed a dick to em because by then I was pretty much expecting everybody to be a rip off and hadnt found a decent uk supplier by then.. but...

they cared, were patient and polite and even when i was frustrated; explained clearly and helped me germinate some of the trickier Acacias

luckily all their other non cactus species with the exception of white ayawaska, for me anyway, are awesome for germination.

and its a fourth fail (big mac/cuz/validus/white aya) when all the others maybe 12-15 or so species were very high score,... so 4 fails in about 13-17 species... and the white aya are still in because their sisters the muricata , from the same sowings time , just sprouted 2 so it might even turn out to be a success also for the white aya...

....can't win em all but they came close enough , especially with 3 types of aya

I don't fancy my chances if I were to try growing them in uk with no propogator/artificial heat, even people die from cold here

incidentally, they're now in a 50watt capability propogator with a thermostat so it is only on if it drops below a pre-set temperature, and the height of this propogator is 35 inches...so far.

the 50w will come in handy when its so cold that even the other propogators at full steam just wont be warm enough to germinate seeds.

- i could understand if it was Arizona, Libya or somethn or if i was a careless grower that didnt check regularly

but hell, its colder in Michigan than here, I'll bet they love their bottom heat, and anywhere north of there which is a lot of people.

Also in my home built propogator I have a mini computer thing controling temps and lights , with bottom heat mat which is excellent too.

if i did away with all the bottom heat , my plants would die pretty fast i reckon.

So... if you need bottom heat for seedlings..., use it responsibly and safely to accelerate/assist and save their piddley asses while theyre cute

if you don't need it... count your lucky stars and grow a krillion more than we can?, walk round scattering seeds everywhere? :)

-whilst wearing a spore printed hat

and when its cold like in uk , using bottom heat can give more control, precision and accuracy than when you have nature's heat fluctuations

like somewhere where its warmer...., meaning on smaller scales; we might just get way better results, faster.

perhaps this is why Canada, the Netherlands and Germany grow so world class well? - they have pretty similar weather to uk in parts of their countries

and seem to have gotten it off to very fine art indeed.

Nah they are definitely duds I tried about 1000 seeds under varying conditions. WSS doesn't seem to care that they didn't sprout telling me they have a new batch that "might" be better. I would stay away from WSS for any cactus seeds.

• Like 2

Also I should point out they have bottom heat for 3 hours in the morning. Just to warm the soil then the sun generally keeps it warm enough. It is now spring here so I wont need any heating pad in a short while as my growing room should be warm enough by then.

I also tried superkabuto from another source and got 100% germination. I got incredible germination rates on dragon fruit seeds and my S. grandiflora are just sprouting. This is with using bottom heat. I am certain that the T. Panchoi from WSS are junk.

• Like 1

no koehres fulvilanus or tacaquirensis yet :( no wss big mac yet :( no wsf validus yet :(

incidentally no botanical-archive (ebay) cuzcoensis or A' kotschoubeyanus either

- the fkrs

I agree for cactus seeds for sure , just glad I found all the other cacti species I wanted initially from their bonanza list; cheaper in the EU

Those dragon fruit are so fun : ]

Theres a nice polish cactus guy on ebay who ships 15 astrophytums fast and will add a super kabuto if you ask

I got some for the kid's

gallery_14443_767_360880.jpg

3 other people have some of the WSS seeds so we will see if it was just me but given my success with my other cacti I feel it is the seeds. I will be planting some.Lophs tomorrow.