The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
azza

HBRW's anyone

im looking for some HBWR seeds, has anyone got some?

azza

[This message has been edited by azza (edited 07 February 2001).]

Guest reville

torsten sells good quality seed here

look through the archives to see several discussions on these

germination rates are good but it depends on you and your climate

youre not likely to find bulk seeds available as they are a prohibited import

grow your own is the best way

Originally posted by azza:

im looking for some HBWR seeds, has anyone got some?

azza

...Could anybody fill me in what HBWR seeds are?

Hawaiian Baby Wood Rose = Argyreia nervosa

Guest UV1

An person known to a friend did a water extraction from seeds of a plant which he thought were native MGs. However from descriptions on the net the seeds appear to be too large to be MGs so maybe they're HBWR.

The extracted liquid is red looking very much like red wine. Is this a characteristic colour of MG or HBWR water extraction?

[This message has been edited by UV1 (edited 09 February 2001).]

Originally posted by reville:

torsten sells good quality seed here

look through the archives to see several discussions on these

germination rates are good but it depends on you and your climate.

i looked through the archives and found only a few archives, ethnobotany, suculents, miscellanious, and one other, none of which montioned anything about this topic. is that all the info that has been archived or is there something wrong with my browser?

Originally posted by azza:

i looked through the archives and found only a few archives, ethnobotany, suculents, miscellanious, and one other, none of which montioned anything about this topic.  is that all the info that has been archived or is there something wrong with my browser?

I think he meant for you to run a search of the forum archives. Type in "woodrose" and you should get quite a number of hits.

On another note... Yay! I'm a psychonaut, no more daytripping for me smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Zu (edited 09 February 2001).]

Originally posted by Zu:

On another note... Yay! I'm a psychonaut, no more daytripping for me   smile.gif

and im not far behind zu smile.gif

Guest mulga

UV1 wrote

"An person known to a friend did a water extraction from seeds of a plant which he thought were native MGs. However from descriptions on the net the seeds appear to be too large to be MGs so maybe they're HBWR.

The extracted liquid is red looking very much like red wine. Is this a characteristic colour of MG or HBWR water extraction?"

That doesn't sound right. HBWR seeds, as all morning glory seeds, should produce a colourless almost tasteless clear solution when crushed and soaked in COLD water.

Any people should be as sure as they possibly can be about any plant ID before they even think about doing anything like eating it or drinking a tea made from it.

Guest UV1

Here's a picture of the seeds. Not MG or HBWR?

The coin is a 5c piece.

hmm.jpg

[This message has been edited by UV1 (edited 10 February 2001).]

I have 3 varieties and none of them look anything like that. They should look like the ones on the site Argyreianervosa2.jpg

They are usually angled at 90 deg or 120 deg angles, rather than round. They have the dimple at the bottom, which has never got anything attached to it. They can be dark brown or beige.

[This message has been edited by Torsten (edited 11 February 2001).]

Actually, they could be MG pods. Have you got a cross section of one of these seeds / pods?

Howdy

They look similar to M.G. pods and could be some sort of ipomea but I,m pretty sure they are not ipomea tricolour(violaceae).

Andrew

p.s.they also seem a bit too small.

Guest UV1

umm. They weren't actually in pods, but rather in clusters growing from the vine with the 3 sided paper wrapping you can see. A friend has experienced the effects you'd expect to get if they were MG's when drinking the water extract.

Maybe it was mild poisioning eek.gif though it was hallucinogenic

oh1.jpg

oh.jpg

[This message has been edited by UV1 (edited 11 February 2001).]

Guest mulga

Well they definetly aren't Baby Woodrose, but could be some sort of Convolulaceae. The first picture looks like the whole pods, and the seed (or seeds) are inside the pod, Turbina corymbosa has single seeds in the pod, Argyreia three but more often four seeds per pod, which could explain the colouring a bit, as I'm sure the pod contains tannins, which is exactly the same thing that gives red wine it's colouring, and tea, and many other things. If the whole pod was crushed I could imagine this happening, but the seeds themselves are relatively low in condensed tannins I believe and give hardly any colour or flavour to a cold water extraction.

The third photo is a bit obscure to figure out what it is exactly. The second photo is interesting also, but doesn't help me with ID. I've found most of the Convolvulaceae tend to have five or six sepals around the base of the fruit rather than three. I'd be trying to get that ID a bit more definite. Most Botanic Garden herbariums will do free plant ID if you take a sample, preferably with leaf, flowers, fruit and location to help, unless you can show the material to a friendly knowledgeable botanist somewhere else.

Guest UV1

Hi, thanks to those that replied with their knowledge.

Yeah they are pods, sorry, I've always thought of pods as having multiple seeds inside like a pod of peas. I found it impossible to remove the seed from the pod without destroying it in the process so couldn't take a pic of it. That last photo I posted shows a cross section of the pod

(length ways). As you can there is only 1 seed inside occupying all the space of the pod.

I had a look at the pictures of Turbina corymbosa and unfortunately the plant doesn't look anything like the vine these seeds were taken from. I only recall that the vine was thin(non-woody) with purple flowers and non-shinny light green heart shaped leaves looking (to me anyway)like a morning glory. I"ll have to plant some pods & take some pictures of the resulting plant.

Also yes the pods & seeds were ground up together from what I understand, then soaked in petroleum ether. The ether turned orange and was disposed of. When dry the powder was then soaked in water which gave the red wine colour to the water.

That seed pod wrapped in sepals looks just like the pods of the local MG weeds. (I cairica or mauritiana I think).

The whole pods look like they are 3 segmented, as if they sould be containing 3 or 6 seeds. Are you sure they only contain a single seed. Could it be that the seeds are immature and haven't formed well enough yet. in the cross section it looks like seeds around the outside and some white fluff in the middle.

Germination may be the best way to check this out.

BTW, I would be very interested in a few pods if you have some spare (swap??). The simple fact that they were active is a good enough reason to grow them ;-)

What was the dose consumed by your friend?

BTW, I would be very interested in a few pods if you have some spare (swap??). The simple fact that they were active is a good enough reason to grow them ;-)

What was the dose consumed by your friend?

Guest UV1

Well I'm growing some vines now so as soon as they seed, and I sure hope they do I"ll send I'll send you a good amount.

The quanities consumed on 3 different occasions were water extract of 10, 20 and 40 grams of seeds. Positive effects from 10 & 20 grams.

The 40 gram extract very quickly came up the same way it went down with no time for absorbtion. No effects.

[This message has been edited by UV1 (edited 04 March 2001).]

I found quite a large poo on the side of the road yesterday, sidestepped it of course.

Edited by darcy

a vine in Brisbane? which suburb are we talking?

-bumpy

A bit off topic...but in Brisbane:

Has anybody seen the Giant Cereus Cactus, about 6 m high and even more in width on Nudgee Road, near Airport ?

It's the biggest cactus I've seen so far in Brissie...