The Corroboree
Anodyne

does anyone grow decorative lichen & fungi?

I spent a bit of time wandering around in some rainforest recently and was awed by the diversity of fungi - sometimes it seemed like every tree had a different one. So I started wondering about the possibility of getting some lichens established on some of my potted trees & stones at home. Has anyone ever tried doing this? Is it feasible, and if so, what's involved? I've managed to keep specimens on dead wood going just by keeping them somewhere moist, but have never tried to inoculate a new piece. I figure for the lichens that since they're a symbiosis spores won't cut it - you would actually need to break off a chunk of living lichen to get both fungi & algae - I assume this is how they propagate normally. And then I guess you choose some bark or stone with a nice rough surface and just attach it with something that will hold it in place and keep it moist? Pantyhose lined with some coir maybe? This tek describes how to make a kind of nutrient glue containing lichen fragments - for painting onto rocks which will eventually grow a coating of lichen - but I'm wondering if the growth rate could be improved by keeping the surface even more moist and protected, hence the coir/pantyhose idea.

I'd also be interested if anyone has any ideas on how to propagate crust-type fungi. I have a tiny stick with some Terana caerulea growing on it and would love to know how to grow more. Imagine if every tree in your garden looked like this!

post-313-0-10654300-1390995949_thumb.jpg

And the red version which I haven't identified yet (sorry about the crap photo)

post-313-0-11482500-1390996067_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice link :)

Believe it or not lichens like breeze/airflow (like most epiphytes). You'll find them more in breezy places than in damp places, and temporarily drying out is no major problem for them. Fungi and mosses love the damp dank places.

They hate tap water and metallic residues like rust or copper etc so don't expect to grow them inside a greenhouse. Most are considered environmental indicators that are very sensitive to metallic (and other) pollutants.

To propagate them, get a bunch of different types from fallen branches and rocks etc, scrape them off and chop them up into a fine powder ( in an electric coffee grinder) and sprinkle it all over the place you want them to grow. They'll find their niches, but will prolly take a couple years to get big enough to look good.

I did this on some of my cacti and they look awesome growing on the spines (they don't grow on the green flesh).

I also did it on a large rock that I have covered in orchids but they won't grow there because it gets watered with town water. Chlorine is quite deadly to bacteria (they are a symbiosis between a bacteria and a fungi).

Good luck :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 5

Nice tips HD, thankyou! Light 'n' breezy habitat it is! I was thinking dark & dank more for the crust fungi, because I think they would want damp wood to grow well? Think I might try the magical lichen glue as soon as I pick out some nice rocks - lichenous cacti spines is a great idea too. Here's the recipe in case that link breaks:

(Magnificent Lichen Growth Formula)

Mix the following together and bring to a boil stirring frequently:

• 1 pint milk
  • teaspoon flour
  • 1 teaspoon yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon gelatin
  • 1 tablespoon green algae powder (Spirulina or chlorella may be obtained from the vitamin department at some grocery stores. Pet stores may carry fish food that is mostly algae.)
  • 1/16 teaspoon water soluble fertilizer with micronutrients (bloom boosting formula preferred, such as 15-30-15 or similar, NOT acid loving formula.)

Remove from heat as soon as boiling commences, and cool to room temperature. The formula may be stored a few days in the refrigerator.

Immediately prior to application, add:

• 2 teaspoons of lichen flakes collected from common lichens growing in a similar microenvironment to where the new lichens are wanted.
  • 2 teaspoons of healthy soil collected from an area near where lichens are currently growing.
Shake or stir well.

Use a paintbrush to apply this solution to the areas where you would like new lichens to grow. Apply as soon as practical after making the formula since this is a living, very bioactive mixture. For best results do not apply during a rain storm, or when rain is expected within a day.

Purpose of Ingredients

The proteins in milk interact with Calcium in the environment, in the soil, and in the rock to form a somewhat waterproof glue to hold the mix in place.

The flour, yeast, green algae powder, and fertilizer act as nutrients to either the algae or fungi or both. (Ever notice how fast mold fungi grow on moist bread?) Our interest in these ingredients is to extract the nutrients from them, not in having them grow on the rock. Any form of yeast, flour, or algae is acceptable. Substitutions are appropriate and the lichens won't die a horrible painful death if you leave something out. (No nerves = No pain)

The soil acts as a nutrient, and helps to set the proteins in the milk, and may contribute algae, fungi, or lichen spores.

The gelatin helps to waterproof the formula and keep the nutrients and young lichens from washing away. Gelatin may also be somewhat detrimental because it sheds rainwater that might otherwise be absorbed by the stone. A splotchy application can help minimize this issue.

We intend to investigate the addition of clay and/or silica gel and/or water crystals and/or other ingredients that might improve the ability of the mix to capture or retain water.

In areas where acid rain is a problem powdered limestone may be added to the mix to neutralize the acid.

I guess the "healthy soil" they include is probably to inoculate with bacteria as well? Although lichen are normally considered to be a symbiosis of fungi and algae (or cyanobacteria), it's thought that at least some varieties might "associate" with other non-photosynthesising bacteria for nitrogen fixation and so forth (ref). I guess if you're growing on bare rock you need all the help you can get.

Yes the fungi provides the photosynthetic bacteria with the much needed water, and the photosynthetic bacteria provide the fungi with energy.

I think they may not classify algae as bacteria anymore but they did in my dodgy old black and white biology texts :P

Those algae/ photosynthetic bacteria are all unicellular AFAIK.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Nice work everyone. I was interested in finding local fungi fruits to use (market?) for embellishing gardens, i've still got my notes somewhere for 'potentials' but they're pretty dismal here compared to other locations, particularly the northern hemisphere. There are some nice ephemeral fruit bodies but i wanted something colourful that could permanently/frequently put on a show from its home in a lump of wood.

Yeah, I'd love to grow luminescent fungi for this purpose. There are heaps more of them than I had realised - some have only luminescent spores or mycelia or sclerotia, but any type would be amazing. Maybe someone will find a luminescent lichen one day! Since there are already glowing fungi and cyanobacteria, it seems like a possibility - you'd only need one.

TI - none of the bracket fungi worked for you? I don't know how difficult Ganodermas are to get started, but they look pretty cool at every stage of growth - from the young furry nubbins to faded old brackets like cracked porcelain, and the healthy mature ones in between dusting their entire surrounds with masses of brown spores that make you feel like you've walked into a sepia print. Not real colourful though I guess. One of the Trametes or Trichaptum maybe? They're both pretty spectacular and have native/naturalised species I think?

maybe this guy, from, you guessed it, the northern hemisphere

Stumpfungus.jpg

i was actually after something people would want to buy (eg commercial) to embellish an ornamental garden whereas to the typical eye an earthy looking shelf fungi barely embellishes the scrub you'd find it in. don't get me wrong, i've seen some colourful, attractive, persisting fruit bodies around brisbane, they just aren't spectacular enough to say 'damn, that would add a nice touch to an ornamental garden'. there is a website showing fruit bodies from new zealand which ARE rather spectacular.

i know where luminescent fungi are plentiful. never saw them up close but i figured out what they were based on their range. now that actually would be a nice garden embellishment come night-time, but maybe not so much for the majority of residental gardens where there is so much ambient light even when the moon is down.

I've seen Trametes versicolor that looked similar to that - it seems to be some kind of algae or something growing on the surface that gives them their green colours, which can look pretty cool on top of their already-colourful blue & orange stripes. Any idea what that one in the picture is? I've never seen a Trichaptum biforme, but apparently they grow all up the east coast of Australia, and the photos I've seen look amazing.

I figure if non-mycologists can grow oyster mushrooms at home from DIY packs, then Omphalotus nidiformis can't be that hard to cultivate. And it's a good big impressive one too, unlike something like the luminescent mycenas which are cool, but tiny. I reckon there'd be a market for grow-at-home Ghost Fungus packs. I'd buy one. I reckon any member on here with kids or just an interest in shiny things would buy one. :)

yeah. it's Trametes versicolor :blush: photo taken in the northern hemisphere :huh::scratchhead::worship: so many emoticons apply

i would go out and fill a trailer with logs growing omphalotus, guilt-free too, but i'd rather do other things, including not doing things.

actually i do feel a bit of guilt, for telling gecko years ago i could probably send him some omphalotus spores.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

I am duplicating the look of 60 year old gates on my property that have lichen growing on them. I have added 4 new gates and

I have discovered a way to age new wood using a stew of vinegar and steel wool and want to inoculate them with the same lichen using the "lichen growth formula".

I am concerned about the possible acid residue from the vinegar treatment.

Will letting the gates age for a period of time dissipate the acid residue sufficiently so as not to inhibit the lichen growth?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SonomaPete