The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dreamwalker.

Pelecyphora Aselliformis?...Peyotillo...

I came across this on hostilis wanted add...................(I hope you don't mind me picking up on it).....................it seems most days I come here, I see something that's entirely new to me.................and this is fascinating..................probably a familiar item in a lot of older members collections...................I'd be interested to know how common it is..................(said to be rare).........and keen to see any pic's, or discussion of it.....................

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 2

Edited by Brendo

6504292215_836bce45ea_z.jpg

reminds me a little of Echinocereus rigidissimus, always thought they looked like they had bugs crawling all over them :)

Echinocereus_rigidissimus_var._rubispinu

Edited by hookahhead
  • Like 2

I see what you mean hookahhead

its hard to beleive its a cacti........................

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 1

Wow. I had no clue about the alkaloids. I just was looking through my new illustrated cacti dictionary and saw it and wanted to grow some. Thanks for the extra info. Now I want that echinocereus as well. Lol. They look like they have centipedes on them.

Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus................looks almost identical to P. aselliformis..........I could go on posting pic's all night....................T.p. had some nice monstrose forms too.............

• Like 1

Yeah, it's actually also known as Pelecyphora pseudopectinata. I reckon It's much easier to grow and more disease resistant compared to P. asellliformis and has much more beautiful flowers too.

Ah wow! I think I've got one of those! It was sold to me as T. pseudopectinatus (rare form) :) never really made sense till now.

post-11985-0-79542800-1390823420_thumb.j

post-11985-0-79542800-1390823420_thumb.jpg

post-11985-0-79542800-1390823420_thumb.jpg

I love all of these with their cool spine formations.

As Senor Jefferson mentioned you need to always check out the synonyms as we are talking about cacti when one name isn't enough. :)

Mammillaria pectinifera

Synonyms:

• Pelecyphora pectinata, B.A.Stein 1885
  • Solisia pectinata (Stein) Britton & Rose 1923
  • Pelecyphora aselliformis pectinifera Rumpler 1885
  • Pelecyphora aselliformis pectinata Nicholson 1888
  • Pelecyphora aselliformis cristata Watson 1899

Pelecyphora Aselliformis

Synonym:

• Ariocarpus aselliformis (Ehrenberg) Web. in Bois, Dict. Hort. 931 (1898).
  • Mammillaria aselliformis (Ehrenb.) H.P.Kelsey & Dayton 1942
    Mammillaria asellifera Monville ex Weber in Bois, Dict. Hort. 931 (1898);
  • Anhalonium aselliforme F.A.C.Weber. in Bois, Dict. Hort. 931 (1898);
    Pelecyphora aselliformis grandiflora Haage Jr., Kakt. Kultur 2a:206 (1900)].

Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus

Synonym:

• Pelecyphora pseudopectinata Backeb. 1935
  • Mammillaria pseudopectinata
  • Neolloydia pseudopectinata
  • Pediocactus pseudopectinatus
  • Thelocactus pseudopectinatus
  • Normanbokea pseudopectinata,
  • Pelecyphora pulcherrima Sabatini (Nom inval.) 1991

All of the above is from Cactus art :wink:

Cheers

Got

• Like 3

EDITED BY MODERATOR! NO DISCUSSION ABOUT POTENCY FFS!

Huh? The rules: I will not allow discussion on potency of any mescaline bearing cacti, nor on methods to increase potency, or for that matter any questions on injestion of such substances. There is one exception and that is the linking to or discussion of scientific literature on the subject. The removed section was a reference to ethnobotanical texts which specifically said that peyotillo did not contain significant amounts of mescaline and that any medicinal effects must be caused by other, non-mescaline components. So it seems to follow the rules - what am I missing here? Are we just not allowed to say the word "mescaline", even when it's prefaced by a "does not contain..."? Sorry to derail, I'm just not clear what happened back there. Can anyone clear this up for me? EG?

Edited by Anodyne
  • Like 2

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I have said this before. Open and honest discussion about relevant topics needs to be allowed to occur. I do not disagree with the rule, but do not believe in the systematic use of the delete key regardless of the situation is the answer either. For those who saw what it said, it was clearly relevant to the information on this forum. I do not believe Dreamwalker in any way intended to encourage everyone to seek this cactus for thrills. Now this information has vanished, and leaves even more confusion around the topic. How are we supposed to further this discussion now, I am sad to know that it will probably die; are you?

gallery_11911_622_10625.jpg

I have some of these growing from seed as well. P. pseudopectinatus, P. aseliformis, P. valdezianus and Echinocereus rigidimus. The pelecyphora grow pretty slow.

The beauty of grafting a few seedling to pereskiopsis,

One will have few fast growing to check every week while the rest take their time ;)

• Like 1

Yep. I def will graft at least one from each species. As soon as I stop putting t off. Lol.

One of my seedlings was an albino so I grafted it to pereskiopsis

Here it is....showing it's pigment-less white color after it was totally red for the first few weeks

post-6382-0-61498300-1401964855_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-61498300-1401964855_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-61498300-1401964855_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome philocacti!!! Crazy lucky. I need to graft some of mine. They grow super slow. Especially the aseliformis. The psuedopectinata grows a lot faster.

Thanks my friend :)

I only grafted this one cuz it was an albino

I running out of room for my grafted and i still want to graft a few ariocarpus seedling from each species, so i dont know how I'll manage that

I am running out of room for my grafted plants too. I have about 70 species/cultivars I started and I need to graft a lot of them, but I don't have enough room. Lol. I can't even graft one of each species. I'm pretty sure I will graft the aseliformis though.

• Like 1

Hold up hold up. So you guys are saying this Rainbow hedgehog cactus has been found to contain alkaloids such as mecaline?

I was previously unaware of this as i own the species and love it very much and im always interested to know which species in what families have been found to contain different alkaloids. its important to document and make it common knowledge among collectors. Its just another part of the plant after all and an important one to it for self defense.

Every time the "M" word comes up it should not trigger censorship right off unless its talking about potency or what have you that is in the rules. But When i first came here i mentioned how specific soil additives were important to several species of cacti for proper alkaloid production. I never even mentioned mescaline and i was warned about my post.

post-14984-0-41111700-1402032589_thumb.j

post-14984-0-41111700-1402032589_thumb.jpg

post-14984-0-41111700-1402032589_thumb.jpg

• Like 1