The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
2XB

can anyone id chile from a photo??

Question

Howdy. Ok I know this is probably a pretty hard question but I would like an id for this plant.

It just popped up in the garden. God only knows where the seeds came from.

I am by no means a chile expert however I do love eating them!

So should I try to eat this one???

Advice sincerely appreciated.

DB

post-13277-0-92683200-1390375506_thumb.j

post-13277-0-92683200-1390375506_thumb.jpg

post-13277-0-92683200-1390375506_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Lol good luck with that!

I'd suggest a birds eye from the supermarket.

• Like 1

I agree with madhouses visites. It looks like a bird's eye chilli. Very tasty and very spicy.

• Like 1

Birds eye is what I figured too.

For sure eat them. They make a great salsa, and grow like mad. You'll never have to buy chillis again :P

Recipe?

in my garden, the birds plant this chili, as said it's quite hot.

I put gloves on, handling this one.

you can dry them, pickle them, or my fav turn into chili sauce!

Throw 6 whole cloves of garlic and a couple of chillis (to taste - I also chuck in a habanero) into a saucepan with a bit of oil, cook them on low till the skin looks almost charred and everything's soft.

Peel the garlic and cut the chillis in half. (but make sure from not on you don't take a piss or rub your eye without washing your hands - Chilli on your old fella isn't fun :P)

Once chillis are halved I de-seed them, or your salsa will be too hot. I normally plant these seeds later in the garden.

Then a quarter of an onion (I prefer one shallot) and fry that with the chilli and garlic till it's browned.

Toss it all in a blender with a pinch of salt and pepper, juice of half a lime and 3 tomatoes, - you can fry these on the pan for a while too if you like, and blend till it's at the consistency you like, I go for a few bigger chunks but mostly puree.

Enjoy!

I have so many chillis at a time now that I leave mine once they're picked on the window sill to dry so I always have heaps of dried ones ready.

Hey great responses! It seems unanimous that this is a birds eye.... I just wonder if anyone would like to contribute regarding the eating of an unknown chile portion of this question... I know Gtarman has always got good info regarding toxicity, any comment man??

I hope it is a birds eye!

Re: supermaket thing... thinking out loud: thought all supermaket produce was GM'D so that one could not propogate ????

Re: chilli hands on old fella..... I once got a pretty bad dose of coppa capscicum spray splash back years ago on a night out. Took a piss later on with residue on my hands... holy shit!

I don't think aussie supermarkets have GM fruit and veg (yet!). More like strain selection evolution (oxymoron?) for wanted traits. GM doesn't make them sterile either.

Throw 6 whole cloves of garlic and a couple of chillis (to taste - I also chuck in a habanero) into a saucepan with a bit of oil, cook them on low till the skin looks almost charred and everything's soft.

Peel the garlic and cut the chillis in half. (but make sure from not on you don't take a piss or rub your eye without washing your hands - Chilli on your old fella isn't fun :P)

Once chillis are halved I de-seed them, or your salsa will be too hot. I normally plant these seeds later in the garden.

Then a quarter of an onion (I prefer one shallot) and fry that with the chilli and garlic till it's browned.

Toss it all in a blender with a pinch of salt and pepper, juice of half a lime and 3 tomatoes, - you can fry these on the pan for a while too if you like, and blend till it's at the consistency you like, I go for a few bigger chunks but mostly puree.

Enjoy!

I have so many chillis at a time now that I leave mine once they're picked on the window sill to dry so I always have heaps of dried ones ready.

Thanks. I'm going to have to try a version that has cooked tomatoes because I'm allergic to raw tomatoes :(