The Corroboree
Foo

retractable shade cloth and simular.

Hi all

I have been investigating ways to provide shade to my tiny courtyard in summer and be able to offer my plants full sun in winter.

Has anyone here had any experience with things like retractable awnings, removable/retractable shade cloths etc. I am esp interested in DIY experiences as i would like to do this on the cheap.

I put my shade cloths up and attatch with old trampoline springs, remember those ones that are galvanised?? Anyway really good cause it takes the shock off the sail when windy and really easy to pull down and store if need be.

• Like 3

Really easy to dismantle.

post-13277-0-51806600-1390106899_thumb.j

post-13277-0-51806600-1390106899_thumb.jpg

post-13277-0-51806600-1390106899_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe a tree that drops its leaves for the winter? That's probably a longer-term solution though.

I probably wouldn't be able to give any specific suggestions regarding a shadecloth setup without knowing what the site looks like...

Maybe a tree that drops its leaves for the winter? That's probably a longer-term solution though.

I probably wouldn't be able to give any specific suggestions regarding a shadecloth setup without knowing what the site looks like...

Oops sorry...just read the tiny courtyard bit...you prolly wouldn't get a tree in there :P

Yeh treas aren't an option :P +that would detract from the precious cactus space.

DB, thats a decent idea. You dont have too much slack in the cloth?

nah dude, have one on each corner, the springs are great, really tight. The sail itself is really taught. and of course you can adjust that by how much load is on each spring

ps ive been carrying these springs around for years, through countless moves, I use them alot!

I was considering a DYI version of this

ResidentialFabricRetractablePatioCover.j

But i think you have convinced me to explore the spring option!

yeah foo, cheap DYi that's worked for me in the past.

assuming that you've got at least 4 x corner attachment points with height, such as walls, fence (that you can attach a higher pole/post to if needed).

-procure (scour verge side chuck-outs, ask for left over bits from professional nursery refitters, buy from bunnings) shade-cloth of required rating (50% best).

- find some springs. Again look for verge side thro-outs, of old trampolines. Alternatively tent-tensioner springs from camping retailers are the next best cheapest.

- get some large thick washers. 3cm OS diam with 1cm IS hole are best. You will need 2 for each attachment point. While you are at bunnings buying these, you could also buy any dyna bolts

that you will need for wall attachment points. Best are the ones with closed eyelet heads. Depending on how schmicko you want the tension, also maybe these could be worth it, but personally i prefer rope,

with a truckies hitch type thingo.

- get some aruldite glue. buy, borrow.

- get some clothes pegs, not the fixed wooden ones, the plastic pincer-action ones.

- assortment of bits of rope that you may need, plus a bit of knot/knowledge (gooogle)

- apply glue liberally to attachment points (generally corners) of shade cloth (both sides) to the size of your washer. Best at least 1.5cm in from any edge.

- stick a washer on each side of the shadecloth attachment point/corner and use two pegs to hold in place.

- leave to set. next day, when set, drill out centre.

- fuck around, swearing occasionally & throwing things down semi-violently till you have it up & tensioned to your satisfaction.

- take pics and post to forum.

• Like 1

I have done something similar to the spring option recently except I wasn't smart enough to think of using springs- I just tied ropes. Wish I had of used springs now :P I plan to take it down in at the end of summer.

Also my orchid and rainforest greenhouse has a double layer of 50% shade cloth with a piece of bamboo attached along the end of the upper layer. In winter I just roll it up so that there is only one layer of shade cloth. This is to allow more light in during winter.

You could do this with just one layer, and put a couple springs at the end.

• Like 1

What about growing grapes on a trellis or a another deciduous vine .

Thanks all for the adivce. I think im going to try and source some springs and give that a go.

Will update (one day)

Good one man !

How big is the courtyard Foo ?

How much shade are you wanting to give it ?

I might have something that will do the job. :wink:

Cheers

Got

The area im looking to cover is about 3x4m. As there plants under it i was thinking about 50% shade cloth.

So ended up buying a cheapish shade sail from eBay.

These are the results.

shade sail

shade sail fixing

Shade sail fixing

Thanks all for the input!

Probably not the kind of strong winds your talking about.

Could you expand on your comment? Would like to know which part in particular you think will stress with high winds.

I do intend to shorten the chain and add tramp springs, when i find some.

maybe you can add more connections in the middle of each side to reduce the force on each connection when it flaps violently up & down in strong winds, it looks good but a little prone to movement in wind, though by the looks of it, it's enclosed on 3 sides so might not be an issue..

While i get a half decent easterly, being enclosed on 3 sides seems to reduce strong wind significantly.

The sail is only 2.5 x 3m.

Just incase anyone else is interested in doing something similar (and hasn't already bought the materials like Foo), I just use a few shadecloth umbrellas. I can move them around the garden, and remove them in winter. They're also great for protecting seedlings temporarily.