The Corroboree
Slocombe

How resilient are young lophs?

Noob here. I think I have given my tiny (roughly) 8 week-old lophs sunburn. I have had them on my (partially) shaded window sill for most of the past 8 weeks no problem. I've been misting them every so often and when I did so today they are a redish/brown colour. I think it’s the high temperatures and the high UV rating that we’ve had over the past week or so that has gotten to them.

I have since moved them further indoors underneath my frosted skylight and given them a drink of water.

My question is, how resistant to this sort of thing are they and what can I do to help them recover (other than moving them further indoors)? I'd also appreciate any growing tips you have for young cactus seedlings since this is my "first time".

A lot of people got sunburn cacti from the weather recently in Australia, first it turns a deep light brown color and than starts to rot a bit, i am still waiting if my sunburnt cacti will survive

My advice: Water like you normally would, hope for the best

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37371#entry450734

Dont mist during high temps or if they are in sun light. The water can act like a magnifying glass

A bit of color wont hurt them to much they will just stall a bit.

If you have really burnt them you will know in the next few days and there wont be much you can do but hope.

I seem to somehow manage to get most of my seedlings many colors from red to brown but I am slowly working out the light requirements for all of the different cacti seedlings that I have germinated. One day I will have pots full of seedlings that are green from the outset and stay green right the way through. :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I will keep my fingers crossed (and be more careful when misting).

Good luck mate, I just lost most of my 1 year old lophs ( 25th dec of all days ). Half a day in the perth sun and they went very pale then about 10 or so days later ( I placed them in the shade ) and the worst hit turned to jelly. oh well, live and learn. The survivors are kinda burnt in half semi circle style but seem to be hanging in there.