The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mystical oyster

Australia post

So far over the past couple months I've received 3 lots of seed in a standard envelope, and they've been crushed to bits.

Whether this is Australia post being rough, or customs destroying them im unsure but i think if were going to share seed with each other we should all start using bubble wrap.

Anyone else had problems with there mail being crushed?

No, but my postman seems intent on destroying my spore prints by leaving them out in the rain. :uzi:

Haha i like that little gun smily, yea aus post really needs to pick up there game i think

They keep stealing my beans :BANGHEAD2:

Yep - received quite a few seeds thru Aus Post that were poorly packaged and have been badly crushed...

They lost/stole $120 worth of my tobacco in the lead up to xmas. Apparently I signed for it, even though I was in a meeting about 100km away at the time that the tracking says it was signed for. They launched an investigation, but the postie is adamant that he delivered it to the right address. Strange thing is that the tracking history says "carded", and then a minute later there is an event to say it was signed for. Who knows what happened, but it's made me feel a lot less secure about buying things online. Sometimes I spend several hundred dollars online in one purchase, and if even registered post is no guarantee that I'll actually receive it, then I'm going to feel very anxious about these larger purchases.

As someone who's just left Australia Post in the past few days I can tell you they are beyond shit. They take absolutely no care for anything they are dealing with at any stage in the process so your best off going overboard with packaging and trying to make it waterproof/resistant in some way. You'd be surprised to know that holding yard in the parcel sorting center in Western Sydney is not under cover and so if it rains the night your parcels are there your pretty well fucked. That and the contractors/posties will actually tell you that even if your parcel is covered in fragile/glass/breakable stickers etc they've been instructed to ignore them and they do a good job of it. Plus even if you do get insurance on your registered items Australia Post will generally not refund you as they'd state your packaging was insufficient.

Moral of the story, take ZERO chances with Australia Post and package the shit out of whatever your sending even if you'd think its not 'breakable'

@Ballzac you've unfortunately probably got no chance of getting reimbursement from Australia Post so your best bet would be to ask the sender if they're willing to send again and have it addressed care of the post office. At least that way even if they say its been delivered and can't find it then it could only be in the post office you had it addressed to and they then have no real option but to reimburse you for your loss.

^good advice, and great thread. The importance of packaging cannot be stressed enough, especially to the noobs.

Any time I recieve a letter with no bubble wrap my heart instantly sinks, as I know what to expect inside... flattened/smashed seed :( Then you have to go through all the hastle of contacting the sender and maybe sending a pic and paying extra postage, waiting again, pretending to be nice to eachother :P

It's such a hastle that I always wrap my stuff twice in bubble wrap just to be xtra sure.

@Ballzac you've unfortunately probably got no chance of getting reimbursement from Australia Post so your best bet would be to ask the sender if they're willing to send again and have it addressed care of the post office. At least that way even if they say its been delivered and can't find it then it could only be in the post office you had it addressed to and they then have no real option but to reimburse you for your loss.

Thanks lhb2444. I've already contacted the seller and he's assured me that I won't be out of pocket regardless of whether he can get reimbursed or not :). I was actually kind of lucky that it was a business I've been buying from for a few years now. There have been times I have dropped $300-$500 on something from a vendor that I've never dealt with before, and if something like that went missing, I probably wouldn't be able to convince them that I really didn't receive it. :unsure:

Having said all that, this is the first time I have ever had a package go missing, and I receive multiple packages a week, so all in all it's a very small fraction of my purchases.

I always package things quite carefully with padding and all, but recently I tried adopting the attitude of "she'll be right" and just sent a baggie of seeds in a plain envelope. She wasn't right :(

last order of records i made it went missing. the guy was generous enough to send out some more which is a strain on a small independent label.

in conclusion fuck australia post.

I actually think they are pretty good. I have sent out lots of stuff and received lots of stuff and there is only a few times have I ever thought they were maybe a little rough or negligent. I expect that all my boxes are going to be tossed into a tub and thrown around in the back of a truck. I just make sure I wrap as well as I can and accept that occasionally things will go missing.

Actually now I think about it in the time I was running the seedsaustralia.net website only one or two things ever went missing and that was from hundreds of orders. And nobody ever complained about seeds getting crushed. I used bubble wrap bags ;)

They're not the most gentle with their work,, or even discreet with items. I'm glad I don't work there anymore. Things do get tossed around, some things that "happen to already be open" get a peek inside even! Either way,, I'd be bubble wrapping everything that has a chance of being damaged,, writing fragile or this way up can be ignored. Whenever I have seeds sent or plants or whatever,, it's always a worry. I'm always relieved when the sender takes extra care in packing orders :-) I'm more likely to purchase again.

once i had graduation photos sent to me which had clearly labelled "PHOTOS DO NOT BEND" so the postie folded it in half and shoved it through the little letter hole in the top. australia post rocks. A+++ service will post again.

I haven't had any issues. Cept when peeps won't bubblewrap/protect seed in envelopes, then they go through the letter sorting machines and u get baggies of chaff.

I haven't had any issues. Cept when peeps won't bubblewrap/protect seed in envelopes, then they go through the letter sorting machines and u get baggies of chaff.

ready to smoke!! i have had things go missing but maybe they didnt send it in the 1st place :scratchhead:

You'd be surprised to know that holding yard in the parcel sorting center in Western Sydney is not under cover and so if it rains the night your parcels are there your pretty well fucked.

Well I'll be fcked that explains a parcel from the UK that was dripping wet then....the local postie was looking at me with that ...what have you brought into the country look...lol

I hate it when my letters are always sticking out an inch or two from the letterbox. Whats the point in having a lock. Gotta push those letters in all the way posties.

I reckon being a moto postie would be a mad job.

I agree incog, I also like the euphemism regarding the letters not fitting in the slot.

i wonder what'll happen when the government sells ozpost delivering yet another natural monopoly to a private enterpise?

I was a crazy moto postie a cupl years ago. That was the best part, dicing traffic, a few snakes, one crazy German Shepard who was intent on scaring the shit outta me haha I really liked getting on the bike, especially in summer!

Apart from the mundane mail sorting and watching parcels getting tossed around and thinking, this is how they treat our stuff... It wasn't too bad lol