The Corroboree
Bigred

Earthship time share South east qld

Nice one mate. Congrats :)

• Like 1

Also would love to build a hobbit house out of lord of the rings. It is amazing how cheap you can build these cabins . Has anyone done mud bricks

before as i would love some pointers . I love the idea of the Earthship but to get to the point of sustainability is going to take a lot of hard work.

• Like 1

That sounds awesome!

Check out straw bale houses as an option too for do it yourself type stuff ;)

http://glassford.com.au/main/

for workshops and stuff.

Congratulations :)

Edited by Responsible Choice
  • Like 1

Big Red....it would take many volumes of Lord Of The Rings, To build a house.

It would probably be well insulated if you could seal it up though.

Edited by shonman
  • Like 1

Big Red,

Can I show up and sleep on the couch in your living room for five or six months?

Red I think mud bricks are a lot of hard yakka and very time consuming. I worked with a carpenter who made his house out of mud bricks with his wife. How ever it is free and a great meadium... depends on your time frame and motivation I think ;)

You'd need the right sorta soil on your property too..

I like your idea, can you give me a hint of the location??

I have plenty of rocks and they would make a ideal stone hut . Im going to retire so I can go into the eco tourism

and permaculture industry hope to set up a writers retreat and a eco bed and breakfast. Spend my days drinking

fluoride free water

• Like 7

We also have a coffee orchid that needs some work ,so that has me busy at the moment . But We have the best views

in town so maybe a Cafe that is open on the weekends . That makes and sells the its own organic coffee

338_zps8209ccb5.jpg

Plus its very windy up here so we are totally off grid

325_zpsce267ee4.jpg

Edited by Bigred
  • Like 6

Hows the serenity

328_zpsd9fc8ce2.jpg

• Like 11

Amazing looking location Big Red, and such a great endeavour your undertaking. If I ever make it east I'd love to lend a hand.

• Like 1

Big Red,

Can I show up and sleep on the couch in your living room for five or six months?

Yeah I have a caravan we could set you up in but you have to work for your keep .

I was thinking that i could get some backpackers to come help on the farm. Or

even start advertising in the woofers book.

• Like 1

No prob!

Edited by shonman

Shit, that's awesome. Maybe consider paper-crete as a building medium too? http://www.instructables.com/id/I-Love-Papercrete/

Whats the council regulation difficulty on getting these buildings approved if you've come to that stage yet?

This is exactly what I've been dreaming of doing - If it weren't so far away from Vic, I'd be up there now...

Perhaps a shipping container building or underground bunker would be suitable if bush fires are a threat there? I've got a welder with hopes of eventually customising my own contaier into a DIY house.

Gourmet mushrooms would be a sweet thing to get going round there for a side income too.

If you don't mind me asking - Whats the acreage size and est. pricetag for it? (With dams or any pre built structures / mains?)

Awesome plans though, wish yu the best for it.

• Like 1

We have just started the idea a month ago and now we are starting a hobit house . Just spent the afternoon picking up rocks and making a stone wall , will post pics soon.

Luwa this is a family friends property and they have a few blocks but price tag up here 200k + as it is ideal grazing country and a block like this is imposible to find.

If your ever in the area there is always a bed here . Maybe come up and see what we are going to do and get a idea of what you want .

Luwa i love underground bunkers its a subject i put way to much into and im high above sea level so its a ideal doomsday retreat. I plan to build one

that has a under ground wind turret that i can raise . I can get really cheap containers up here real cheap it costs more to truck them out . With properties

like this conecting to the mains is pointless as you can get a off grid system here much cheaper why pay money just to pay even more money. Its so windy up

here we don't even really need solar .

• Like 2

Can an Alien like myself buy land there, if I could come up with the gold?

in all seriousness! can i come live with ya bigred.....

this sounds awesome i legit cannot wait to come down and see it one day

• Like 1

In the future you can but at the moment it will only be weekenders . As im in the process of sorting all my shit out and getting this

project up and running .So a lot of the time im in the city doing business but once we get started I will let you know.

• Like 1

Can an Alien like myself buy land there, if I could come up with the gold?

\

Dude if your one hundred percent got the cash I can recommend a block . But its not a picnic its fucking really hard work .

If you were to come out you have to earn your stripes ( hard yakka) and make sure this type of life change will suit you .

Or its just going to be a project that gets started and never gets finished.

• Like 3

Will be having a working bee in the next month . All are welcome to come up and stay for the weekend and lend a hand.

In return we are going to have a BBQ and I will put on a keg , Was also hoping if any sabers who come along could donate a

plant or two for the main edible garden .

What to bring

Tent, sleeping bag (if you dont have a tent we can work something out )

I wish I could fly over there and attend.

Just remember my little saying, it is true...

"You can't own anything, without it owning part of you"

And so I am stuck here for now

Or the things you own end up owning you ( classic fight club line). The idea is spreading I have a doctor who wants to buy land

and do the same . I have a lot of ideas but getting them of the ground is one thing . Will be roasting some beans soon so will

do a give away of my special blend. The key I believe to having a viable permaculture is having a niche market . So Im hoping

that I can do something with the coffee. Maybe go to the farmers markets on the weekends and set up a coffee stall. Just to

help with funding future projects. But the idea of retiring in 5 years is looking better every day.

• Like 2