The Corroboree
Halcyon Daze

How far south do cubes occur?

Mid north coast? Further south perhaps? Just curious.

Interesting question - I wonder what the limiting factor is - humidity, winter min temp etc.

I have seen cubes as far south as far south as Cooranbong.

Maybe that's whey the Seventh Day Adventist community there enjoy their religion so much :)

Peace

• Like 1

I've had friends find them around Wollongong and even the Southern Highlands. I've also personally seen large amounts of cubes and Pan.cyans growing in the Sydney area. Having said that though, they are very inconsistent, and often only grow in small microclimates or when we have wet, humid summers.

I spoke to someone that claimed he found cubensis on the Peninsula near Melbourne.

moist heat would be helpful.

At least as far south as gerringong & kiama & berry. At least that was the case when I was younger....

But lots of those areas are now housing estates ;(

• Like 1

Murrumbidgee river marshes down near currawarna nsw

That's rather surprising.

Anybody find any in Albury?

I once read they even grow in tasmania, but i am skeptical

They'll grow anywhere they import in the cattle... You only need a few days of perfect conds to make it happen... Prob is we aren't out there in the fields for each little micro climates perfect conditions...

• Like 1

I wonder how those micro-climates will be affected by climate change. Maybe they'll start popping up further south and more frequently too.

I guess it's what the science is predicting. Fish are already moving further south, why not mushrooms and everything else for that matter.

• Like 1

^ yep. If it's getting hot enough to make the bushfires more intense then I guess it will mean that. Jellyfish have been slowly moving south for a good while now, along with a whole slew of other things. Cane toads I think as well.

• Like 1

Cubes enjoy fruiting around 20C.

They've been found in SA, i've heard anecdotal evidence from pickers decades ago and also from someone last year. I produced a suitable micro climate last year by accident in my backyard in Adelaide. :P

• Like 2

Definitely seen south of Sydney and in terms of climate I'd imagine the question would be not so much how far south as how far inland. So long as there is coastal humidity in summer I can't see anywhere on the east coast that they wouldn't grow.

• Like 2

found them in dorrigo in winter . also in the huntervalley in autumn