The Corroboree

Hehe, you never know man, stranger things have happened.. What is it with white animals? always moving around in large numbers wrecking shit & taking everything for themselves :-p I've never seen bunya nuts torn apart by cockies even though we have a lot of bunyas & cockies around my place, Maybe they just prefer pecans & citrus seeds.. The cone I found the other day had no evidence of beaks being involved.. Though they have been very often known for wrecking shit just for the sake of it so it's certainly quite possible.. Does anyone know if the the 3 year cyclical thing is universal? As in, do all bunyas synchronize in there productivity flushes or does each individual tree produce on a 3 year cycle based on it's own internal rhythm irrespective of what it's neighbors are doing? The last bumper crop on my main local tree that I harvest was autumn 2012, was hoping to mass propagate this year but may just have to wait til next year to go full scale with my best local genetics..

• Like 1

well ive read they can be propagated by leaf cuttings, but haven't seen any first hand reports of the success of this.. it seems this might present an issue with the development of a healthy tap root if you ask me.. tap root development is really important for bunyas, but is interesting nontheless, maybe i will give it a try myself one day

it's weird to think aboriginals climbed all the way up them. they're seriously sharp!

apparently family groups had exclusive rights to individual trees, the trees live over 1000 years, so the same tree would have been climbed for centuries by the same family.. so obviously i guess hundreds of years previously the spiny foliage would have been removed from the bases of branches etc.. also ive noticed the really big old trees are much less spiney around the branch bases so cleaning them up & making them more climbable would be easier i'd imagine..

it also occurred to me that perhaps they taste better when they are picked just before tey are ripe? as it doesn't take long after the cone drops for the shoot to begin to form, after that they can get a kind of unpleasant texture that makes my teeth feel very sensitive.. not sure if people know what i'm talking about. ive never climbed one & tried them a little fresher like that though..

something i have also noticed is that if the conditions are right, ie wet & the right humidity the nuts will sprout right there when they are still in the cone.. the interesting thing though, is i've noticed a couple of times that in these conditions the inner core of the cone will begin to decompose & the shoots & subsequent 'tuber' will grow right into the rotting inner core.. seems as though it has specifically evolved that way. as a temporary germination medium & nutrient supply... interesting

There is a suburb in N Brisbane called appropriately enough Bunya. It is only a 15 minute drive from the suburbs. eg Arana hills, Ferny Hills or Samford. There is a creek you can walk through behind the estates and there are plenty of bunya tree's growing out there.

it also occurred to me that perhaps they taste better when they are picked just before tey are ripe? as it doesn't take long after the cone drops for the shoot to begin to form, after that they can get a kind of unpleasant texture that makes my teeth feel very sensitive.. not sure if people know what i'm talking about. ive never climbed one & tried them a little fresher like that though..

There is no perhaps about it, picked just before they are ready to fall they are sweet and juicy. Straight outa the hot coals i cant get enough of them when they are on, like sweet nutty bread :drool2:

Once they fall they are really only fit for breads, or possibly fermenting?

• Like 2