The Corroboree
cactus kate

BIFEN I/T Anyone used to kill scale and mites

got given this product must be so toxic being the dilution strenth so unbelievable like 133ml per 400lt to scared to use wondering if anyone had any info pls have massive red spider mite problem also sick to death of scal and wood slaters or sow bugs as they also called says ok to use mmmm i wonder if anyone actually ever has thanks heaps

sorry everyone that is ment to say scale not scal sorry i so dumb at this

why?

automatically judging a "chemical from a factory" is like automatically judging "dirty hippie methods" or whatever

FWIW bifenthrin is what pest controllers often have in their spraytanks.

mix rate has nothing to do with it. even if it did how often do you make a note of the % active constituent in the "undiluted" product?

do some research on it, read the label, track down an MSDS, if you decide to use it take all of the necessary precautions.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

I actually thought it was a full on systemic. Turns out I was mistaken :blush: . It still sounds slightly toxic to me from what I read on it. I would rather mist with metho and apply sulphur or apply biological controls.

in all likelihood, anything you can spray around your house etc which will just kill any bug that takes a few steps on it, probably does have significant toxicity to humans. i'd recommend weighing up all the factors. where do you intend to spray it (doesn't look suitable for food crops but may be okay to create a barrier around the crops to stop insects crawling in, including ants), is it going to be effective, are children going to be playing in and digging the treated area, how long does it take to break down into harmless compounds, what kind of beneficial or neutral insect life will you be eradicating by using such a broad-spectrum insecticide.

a good question to start with: is this chemical appropriate for my purposes? technically it is illegal to use it in any manner not indicated on the label, so if the label only gives mix rates for two uses, for instance, controlling juvenile weta-bugs on mature kiwifruit stock, and applying a barrier around your chilli-bin to keep your lamingtons safe, then those are the only two things you're allowed to use the chemical for. (in your country. where other countries differ their should be a different label)

edit: thought you were from NZ cactus kate :P my mistake

Edited by ThunderIdeal