The Corroboree
tripsis

Bring back the neg button.

I miss it.

Some posts just really need a neg or 10. I despise this pseudo-utopian world where we are only able to "like" posts.

And if the neg function still existed, everyone who disagrees with me could conveniently neg this post - and that, my friends, would be deliciously ironic. Mmmm, delicious irony...

• Like 6

I like this

• Like 2

Ohhhh, if only could neg you!! :lol:

No, but really, the neg function would be nice to have back.

And tipz, dude, stick around. It's good seeing you posting again. Just behave. Plenty of great plants and good conversations to be had on the right side of the law. :)

• Like 2

Noooo. Shun the neg' button !!! . I found the neg' button to be really negative (yes, i know it was meant to be negative,lol). It caused a fair bit of disharmony i reckon.

I like the like button. :)

• Like 5

But don't you wish you could neg my post? You do, don't you? C'mon admit it.

It did cause disharmony, but it was only because it was childishly abused. Are we a community of adults or a bunch of immature prats?

Edit: typo

Edited by tripsis

But don't you wish you could neg my post? You do, don't you? C'mon admit it.

Nope :) . I think i used the neg' button a total of about 3 times , i really didn't like it hey.

I would rather have no buttons over having negative and positive buttons again. :)

• Like 1

Noooo. Shun the neg' button !!! . I found the neg' button to be really negative (yes, i know it was meant to be negative,lol). It caused a fair bit of disharmony i reckon.

I like the like button. :)

I don't like this :P

Tripsis....you flatter me bro. I know it is safer for me to vamoosh but I don't know if I'm going to be able to :rolleyes:

SAB has a special little place in my heart now.

• Like 2

I suppose I could always do this...

+ 1 463ec64d9dfa3dc61cd95fb32c551819.jpg @ photo-thumb-7430.jpg?_r=0

:wink::P

Kind of painful on the eyes however. And then everyone will desperately want to neg the shit out of me if I keep doing the above all the time. And then they won't be able be able to! It'll be a vicious cycle of endless negless frustration!

I think the way it is at the moment is pretty good actually. The ability to neg kinda seems to make it a more contentious space IMO, and currently if people don't like something they either just ignore it or say something about it upfront, which I think fosters a more productive and inclusive atmosphere. On most forums I've been on where there's negs then it just seems to get kinda petty and cliquey

In the spirit of the above, I really hope my comment in your other thread wasn't the spark for this. I'd feel like a bit of a dick if it was - like I said, I meant nothing by it. You do post some interesting and thought-provoking articles :)

if you dont have insecurities, you shouldnt mind being negged every now and then

i know i deserve it sometimes, nothing wrong with that, take it on the chin, learn from it and move on

without negative feedback we can continue a misguided path

Edited by C_T
  • Like 1

Negative without feedback ........... we can continue a misguided path.

maybe if you could only neg someone who you have direct quoted and provided some type of feedback/justification it would serve its purpose better.

• Like 6

now thats a better idea

In the spirit of the above, I really hope my comment in your other thread wasn't the spark for this. I'd feel like a bit of a dick if it was - like I said, I meant nothing by it. You do post some interesting and thought-provoking articles :)

No, it wasn't you. It was Responsible Choice's "Chill the fuck out yo" thread. Anyone that writes in bold (the equivalent of shouting in the real world) to "chill the fuck out yo" deserves a slap in the face, in my most humble of opinions of course. :innocent_n:

• Like 4

Negative without feedback ........... we can continue a misguided path.

maybe if you could only neg someone who you have direct quoted and provided some type of feedback/justification it would serve its purpose better.

seconded, then it wont be bitching it will be debating

ps im a master-debater say that three time fast outloud

Edited by PhoenixSon
  • Like 1

I'm fully agree with the above suggestion, I have no problem explaining why I think someone deserves a neg.

i know i deserve it sometimes, nothing wrong with that, take it on the chin, learn from it and move on

without negative feedback we can continue a misguided path

Exactly. If someone make a moronic comment or act like a dick and no one calls them out on it, they'll never learn better. I'm happy to receive critical feedback on what I say and do.

• Like 1

You can still dish out the negative feedback without it being backed by a negative button aswell :)

• Like 3

I was strongly against removal of the neg button originally, but I believe it has been a lot more harmonious around here since it went. The neg button caused a lot of fights, and often they were due to misunderstandings. The reason being that if you just click the button as a substitute for providing constructive feedback on why you don't like the post, it doesn't enable the poster to evaluate their post based on your feedback, and instead they just feel attacked. I was guilty of contributing to these problems. There was on time I clicked the neg button and didn't leave a reply. The person whose post it was thought it was someone else who negged them, and thought the reason for negging was different to what the actual reason was. So an argument started between the poster and someone who had nothing to do with the neg.

I still don't like the idea of super sanitising things around here or in any other discussion forum, but the fact is that having no neg button doesn't actually restrict peoples ability to disagree with a post, it just means they have to put in the effort to construct an argument rather than click a button. There is a little loophole, where someone will post "you're wrong" after a 200 word coherent argument, without addressing any of the actual points made in the post. If this post gets 'liked' 15 times, it essentially becomes the neg button. I have seen this taken to another level on youtube videos that don't have ratings enabled, where someone has posted "I am the dislike button", and that post has been upvoted dozens of times. Although I advise against it, this is a fairly successful way to circumvent the lack of a neg button.

As a mod, having no neg button makes my job a lot easier because of the more harmonious atmosphere, so I'm quite happy if it stays gone.

Edited by ballzac
grammar
  • Like 5

ps im a master-debater say that three time fast outloud

LOL

i find sometimes i take a stance i look like a troll... miscommunication. structured writing isn't my strong point. actually i find i get myself in alot of trouble sometimes. i mean well but doesn't convey correctly. so i like when thats corrected, cause it helps.

the political correctness is getting out of hand

Edited by C_T
  • Like 1

The neg button used to suck! But only because it was anonymous. I would have been all for it, if people weren't just able to neg every post you made simply because they didn't like you without any accountability.

• Like 4

I know it is safer for me to vamoosh but I don't know if I'm going to be able to :rolleyes:

SAB has a special little place in my heart now.

you better stick around ya fucker I plan on stickin around so you better not bail on me again brother

as for the neg button i dunno it saddened me when people negged my posts :(

haha i have to agree though it does get abused a bit i know alot of people negged peoples posts just cause they didnt like the person

hell i admit i negged the shit out of old psilo that annoying bastard but hey he started it as always

• Like 1

hell i admit i negged the shit out of old psilo that annoying bastard but hey he started it as always

Alot of us did. Didnt seem to help though :P

I missed the neg button when it first went, but now that its gone i dont miss it. As said above, the lack of accountability was a nightmare.

• Like 1

yeh i say keep it gone

we dont need negativity here i like sab much better as a peaceful friendly place :)

How about elimination cards. We can vote each other off the forum until there is only one person left, -the winner!

What a perfect shit-storm that would be :P

• Like 3

When the neg button went away and the only button left was the like button... and all the positives were turned into likes I suddenly saw a LOT of posts of mine that had a net total of 0 suddenly had a few likes.

Some people just negged posts if it had +2 or +3 and some people just 'liked' posts because they were negatively scored.

I think the negative could work again IF it showed who was doing it.

The majority of people didn't even use the rating system in the way it was supposed to... you're meant to score someone's post lower if their information was incorrect not because you disagreed with their viewpoint.

• Like 1