The Corroboree
2XB

advice decking oils etc needed

Hi all

A friend of my wife needs help. She just had a uncovered deck built and needs to treat it..

She wants low maintenance as key componet!

I just thought you oil it twice a year and all sweet... then she started taking about tannin and I knew I couldnt help....

Can anyone offer some advice I can pass on?

Oh yeah. Timber is merboo (spelling?) And heaps of sun

Cheers

If she wants low maintenance, don't oil it. Just let the timber grey. Oiling looks great at first, but when it begins to weather, it looks shit. Then you are chained to the oiling cycle...

• Like 2

"merbau" also known as "kwila" is a hardwood, it is relatively cheap due to the fact it doesn't need curing like all other hardwoods. So the decking will still have a certain amount of tannins (resins in softwoods)in it...the timber will bleed for a while longer yet. I'd let it bleed for a few months, clean it with a deck cleaner & then oil it every 6mths...like you said above. Otherwise within 5yrs it will start to split, rot &/or warp. Alice is right regarding the oiling cycle...the other option is to put a roof over it.

Edited by space cadet swami
  • Like 2

Thanks guys for your input. Some other advice I received from a carpenter was to use either intergrain or sikkens. And no way ever use cabbots.

yeah never use cabbots. havnt used it but have only heard great things about intergrain, and was planning to use it on a bar bench soon ;)

I am a painter by trade, if your after low maintanence I'd go with a product called Sikkens Cetol. It's oil, sticks like shit to a blanket and you'll only have to redo it every other year.