The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
earthalchemist

Endurance Herbs?

about to leave on a 4 day cycle trip biggrin.gif ... anyone have any good endurance/stamina/energy/recovery herbs to suggest, apart from ephedra?

Guest TAXMAN

personally i think if you are gonna ride for 4 days straight u will need something a little more powerful than the average energy boost if ya know what I mean wink.gif

What about the old guarana/ginseng tabs or something??

Where are going anyhowz.. seems like a long trip to me..

It's not a herb but 1,4B greatly helps my endurance, especially when lifting weights, not something you want to be on non-stop for 4 days though, wow 4 days of cycling, that's pretty hard core, I wouldn't go for any stimulants except maybe something mild like betel nut. Wish ya luck on your ride, how many k's you cycling?

guarana, ginseng, betel nut ... come on guys, a bit more creativity wink.gif

the ride is about 300k in total, sydney to canberra ... as a protest against the chinese occupation and oppression in tibet

Originally posted by assassin:

It's not a herb but 1,4B greatly helps my endurance,

....great, but where the hell can you get it now, since Alphaware NZ has been busted?

You'll be needing Arnica afterward, I hazard.

Cordyceps "sinensis" is one of the many medicinal herbs that were raped from the Tibetans by the invaders. Using the cultured form from elsewhere for your athletic endeavour would be a lovely irony.

Good luck.

thanks theo smile.gif

hopefully i'll won't be needing the arnica, we're taking it pretty easily for the less cyclically inclined wink.gif

'scuse me while i just duck down to hong the herbalist for some cordyceps ...

[This message has been edited by earthalchemist (edited 09 March 2001).]

Guest Trichus

Why dont you use the opportunity to test something that not much is known about? Ive heard Sweet Flag is good for stamina. Maybe you could test a low amount of T.pach or similar since L.will seems to have been used for this purpose.

Low dose mushrooms (there are many varieties that have tonic qualities)might be helpful.

Well, since this is against the chinese it would only be fitting to use a chinese herb wink.gif Hint - it's closely related to the Wollemi Pine (and grows right next to it in the RBG).

When are you leaving??

Originally posted by Torsten:

Well, since this is against the chinese it would only be fitting to use a chinese herb   wink.gif  Hint - it's closely related to the Wollemi Pine (and grows right next to it in the RBG).

When are you leaving??

He He TeeHeeHee

got back on tuesday night, what an amazing trip! ephedra and betel nut got me through and was much welcomed by others ...

it's closely related to the Wollemi Pine (and grows right next to it in the RBG).

i've seen it there .... but i can't remember which species??

Guest reville

um,, i missed this one

can someone e-mail me with what this is...

i cant think for the life of me of anything in the auracaria family thats chinese? i didnt think the southern pines went that far north??

actually, it's not quite that closely related. It's the ephedras.

Guest Psilo_smylin

Good on you EA !!

I would have suggested a moderate amount of sweet flag also and Erythroxylum australe once you got to Canberra botanic gardens wink.gif (may not be leagal but it would help the ride home wink.gif

I'm too late once again.

smile.gif'n

thanks psilo smile.gif

wish you had gotten in earlier ... i had no idea they had e australe there! think i might have to jump back on my bike wink.gif

Originally posted by Psilo_smylin:

Erythroxylum australe once you got to Canberra botanic gardens

If this is in reference to the ANBG census listing, then you're lucky you didn't depend on them. it would have been another 200k ride to get to the plants and you would have found that all of them are dead. They were in the ANBG gardens at Jervis Bay, but died quite a few years ago. I spent 3 days finding their well mulched ID tags.

(may not be leagal but it would help the ride home

Not sure how a sore throat and gagging feeling will help on the ride home though, cos that is the only effect one gets from a handful of the leaves. Sorry, definitely no numbing and no stimulation frown.gif

although jervis bay/booderee NP is one my favourite places on this island, i would have to say that Botanical Garden is a bit of a euphemism wink.gif