The Corroboree
Leaves

Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) in Oz & suppliers.

I am interested to hear if anyone has found Turkey Tail growing in Australia, I have used Atlas of living australia to search for Trametes versicolor & had a look at 3 of the locations given in SE QLD. What I found there was Microporus xanthopus, which grows everywhere on fallen branches etc so I think they have been misidentified. I was also interested to know if anyone has come across Yun-Zhi (Turkey tail) at any Chinese herb dispensary.

• Like 1

Yep, found Trametes versicolor in SA :lol:

• Like 1

ok.........the south Is isn't OZ............but I thought, I'd id some on a stump in my garden.............but there are a few very similar forms........making id very difficult..........tried various ways of adding small portions to my diet.........very hard stuff............if you don't mind me asking..........what do you want it for?

• Like 1

Dreamwalker, I want Turkey tail for the Killer T cell teaching how to lock on to cancer effects, seen stamets tablets destroy throat cancer in a friends father, just seems like so many people are coming down with the cancer. Anyone from QLD seen trametes growing?

Edited by Leaves

Turkey tail seems to prefer the cooler, moister more sheltered spots. Actually now that i think about it, it is probably the moist & sheltered that it needs more than the cool.

The easiest to find location i know i have seen TT's is Mary Cairncross conservation Park up at Maleny.

If you give yourself a day to hunt around I'm sure they would occur in sheltered spots outside of the park as well.

There are a tonne of Ganodermas up in Mary Cairncross too.

Hi, I also would love to be able to find Turkey Tail growing - but near the Gold Coast area. I found a photo someone had posted of a beautiful flush on Mt Tambourine, but when contacted he said the photo was about 10 years old and couldn't remember where he took it :-(

Does anyone know if Turkey Tail is able to be purchased to grow at home?

Hi DreamWalker, I am from Invercargill in NZ, but living in Auz at the moment. My family in Invercargill would love to find Turkey Tail local. Do you happen to know if it is around there anywhere?

We are also wanting it for cancer treatment ... urgently :-(

You can take Turkey Tail by making an extract, tea or tincture. It is very potent against cancer cells. Here is a quick video from Pul Stamets (have tissues when watching):

ok.........the south Is isn't OZ............but I thought, I'd id some on a stump in my garden.............but there are a few very similar forms........making id very difficult..........tried various ways of adding small portions to my diet.........very hard stuff............if you don't mind me asking..........what do you want it for?

Hi DreamWalker, I am from Invercargill in NZ, but living in Auz at the moment. My family in Invercargill would love to find Turkey Tail local. Do you happen to know if it is around there anywhere?

I was attempting to use it just as a immune system boost...................I think its very common and should be down south.............but there are a few very similar looking fungi...................that made my id uncertain............it was growing on a cut ngiao (not spelt correctly) stump in the garden......(common native tree) from Canterbury north...........but I think it grows on many dead trees......good luck (I have a friend who's fighting a womb cancer at the moment.........its tough going)..............there may be herbalist outlets online that stock it...................

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 2

I've seen plenty of it in subtropical NNSW, so it's probably in Qld too. Definitely wasn't Microporus xanthopus - they don't even look that alike, that's a weird misindentification :scratchhead:. As others have said, try damp sheltered spots - dead trees in rainforest areas seem to be a good place to start looking. It's often covered in algae (or moss or something) when I've seen it though - I've rarely seen the clean bright brackets that earned Trametes versicolor the name "rainbow fungus". I don't know whether this would affect it's medicinal properties, but if you find an area where it's common you can probably find clean pieces anyway.

• Like 1

These photos were taken on 24/5/12 in s/e QLD, I have always just assumed it was turkey tail but never asked for an ID so I hope I have been right :huh:. I see a fair bit of it around here at certain times of the year.

post-11291-0-89653300-1390304490_thumb.j post-11291-0-38464200-1390304565_thumb.j

Cheers

Jox

post-11291-0-89653300-1390304490_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-38464200-1390304565_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-89653300-1390304490_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-38464200-1390304565_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

These photos were taken on 24/5/12 in s/e QLD, I have always just assumed it was turkey tail

they are nice clean looking plants.................

That photo was taken on private property & they were growing on a nectarine tree. I went there today, this time of year the tree is covered in leaves & no fungi but the owner tells me when the leaves drop the fungus starts to emerge.

How do I go about collecting samples for propagation for members here? I am assuming you cant get spore prints like you do from shrooms.

Cheers

Jox