The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nitrogen

Is Yowie the same as the macrogonus Sausage plant?

Ok I'm a little confused now - the seeds I got a few years ago were T. bridgesii v. "Bruce" x T. macrogonus v. "Sausage" - that much I know. But then I'm reading where people are saying Yowie is the same clone - is this the case?

On the Tricho Serious website he has Sausage as a bridgesii (though acknowledges it could be one of several species, and has it separate from Yowie which he lists as pachanoi. Can anyone clear this up?

http://trichoseriousethnobotany.blogspot.com/search/label/Trichocereus%20Bridgesii%20Lageniformis%20Sausage%20Plant

sausage is different. Yowie is a pachanoi

Yowie is a pachanoi with two spines per areole, much like SS02 if I'm not mistaken.

Sausage is a little ambiguous as to what it actually is. It was grown from seed labelled as T. bridgesii by Fields back around 30s, but no one would actually consider it a bridgesii. Macrogonus? Well, what does that even mean? I would say it's probably a peruvianus.

Nitrogen,

I believe the aussie sausage (sorry couldn't resist) is a Peruvianus. I totally agree with tripsis regarding Macrogonus ??, I believe it is just a mislabeling at some point of a Peruvianus and to me the name means nothing.

Tripsis,

SS02 was originally in the Bridgesii lineage, you may have spotted a hybid with SS02 in the mix somewhere, there are heaps of them floating around. Check out the Sacred Succulents website for clarification.

Edited by Hellonasty

Yes, I know SS02 is a bridgesii HN. I meant that both Yowie and SS02 have similar distinctive spination. I was not implying they are the same species.

Edited by tripsis

Pretty sure this is Nitro's photo:

SS02

SS02closeup.jpg

As a comparison for Nitrogen, here's Yowie.

gallery_473_247_31675.jpg

• Like 4

^^^Yowies look cool

Edited by doublebenno

I thought sausage wasn't a clone but referred to plants that terminate at the end of each season and reshoot at the top

The name comes from its terminating habit but my understanding was the main clone referred to as the sausage came from the plant I posted. I believe there is also a couple of other big plants on the east coast that look like they are the same as well.

There is also a West Aussie clone that terminates as well but it is unknown if it is the same clone. From my observations I originally thought it could be a different clone but now I am seeing new growth I would think it is the same as the east coast clone

Thread on the WA clone http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20324

This is some pics of my WA clones
These are both from the same cutting
post-4489-0-25804100-1384399700_thumb.jp post-4489-0-56180800-1384399704_thumb.jp
This is the same clone sourced from another person.

post-4489-0-52381100-1384399718_thumb.jp post-4489-0-14475000-1384399725_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-25804100-1384399700_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-56180800-1384399704_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-52381100-1384399718_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-14475000-1384399725_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-25804100-1384399700_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-56180800-1384399704_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-52381100-1384399718_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-14475000-1384399725_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's good info GOT, thanks.

Tripsis, sorry mate I misunderstood your post, at least everyone is on the same page now... Well most of us :)

I have a peru that has sausaged labelled as kk something.. it doesnt sausage every growing season though... seemingly as it feels like it...

Those first two pics have very different spines to each other how sure are you they are a clone?

When I posted the pics I did doubt myself and I will check I haven't mixed the pics up. Saying that I am still 90% positive by the position of the plant and the old growth that they are the same clone as I cut the tip cutting myself. The tip cut has been kept in a lot dryer and less sunny position than the other one which is down with my other Trichs.

Cheers

Got

i have a yowie, and a sausage plant. and they are most definitely not the same plant.

Right on - so it looks like I got a cross with the sausage plant in it - have not seen any terminating growth so far with my Bruce x Sausage hybrids - only have 5 left though, not sure about the other dozen.. One friend of mine says his seedling is doing the monstrose thing, as is one of mine - but that's a Bruce trait..