The Corroboree
mr b.caapi

Queensland announces plans to ban smoking in all jails from May 2014

Oh dear !! Theres going to be some riots......

The prison guards' union in Queensland fears outlawing tobacco in the state's jails could cause dangerous riots on the inside.

The Queensland Government has announced plans to ban all smoking in prisons from May and free nicotine patches will be given to inmates.

Smoking in cells was banned five years ago, but it is still allowed in designated smoking areas. The total ban will also affect prison guards.

About 80 per cent of inmates smoke, which is more than five times higher than other Queenslanders.

"This is just putting more fuel on the fire and we have a real concern there's going to be a crisis," said Together Union spokesman Michael Thomas.

"We saw in New Zealand where this happened there was a 180 per cent increase in assaults."

But Health Minister Lawrence Springborg says Corrective Services is well equipped to force inmates to butt out.

"Prisons are places where we deal with potentially flashpoint circumstances every single day of the week," he said.

"This is about public health. This is about making sure that we can reduce what is a huge and overwhelming number of prisoners smoke."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-03/qld-prison-smoking-ban/5066404

• Like 1

I remember the riots when they took the lighters off the prisoners at Woodford , they went fucking nuts.

plus also the guards are not aloud to smoke either under the new rules they have to walk of the jail property

. My close friend she is the chaplain for the seq prisons and she is dreading it . plus will also make tobacco

a restricted substance in the prisons which will lead to people smuggling and dealing it .

• Like 1

Fuck

What's next gas chambers ?

I knew this country was charging full speed into fascism, lately it's picked up so much pace it's hard to keep up.

• Like 4

why criminalize a select group if your going to ban smoking do it nationally. They have little

to no rehabilitation as it is . Its wasted money better spent on education and re integration programs

• Like 2

Not worth the trouble. I've seen people get so pissed off when they're out of smokes etc.

QLD really sucks with The Libs running the show.

• Like 1

I remember the riots when they took the lighters off the prisoners at Woodford , they went fucking nuts.

plus also the guards are not aloud to smoke either under the new rules they have to walk of the jail property

. My close friend she is the chaplain for the seq prisons and she is dreading it . plus will also make tobacco

a restricted substance in the prisons which will lead to people smuggling and dealing it .

now woodford is full of bikies.. pull our fuken heads in or never smoke again LOL :wave-finger: PEACE TO THE WORLD :uzi: ps they already smuggle it and the rest its a joke..

edit <> sorry i really dont care :wink:

Edited by bullit

qld has a problem

I'll make it out of this God forsaken state some day... Or die trying!

• Like 1

The number of bikies (or people with links to) in our system in qld is like 2%(swift on the rise but) most our prisons are full of

drug related crime witch is around 90% . I just see this whole smoking ban ending very badly. They cant even treat prisoners

with drug abuse problems which i see as a bigger heath problem problem. The amount of people who share needles and get hep c

is on the rise .

where is the evil tobacco company when you need them .

Edited by Bigred

I'll make it out of this God forsaken state some day... Or die trying!

fucking lmfao +1

what bothers me most about these kind of things is someone in power actually thinks its a good thing to do.

• Like 5

they r making woodford a bikie supa jail yeah?? :scratchhead: putting or them cunts into 1 jail???

Great. What will they do when the prisoners are released back into the community?

Last thing I want when lighting up is to be stood over by some huge ex-con yelling " Fucking cigarettes, ever since they gave them up I can't stand the smell- put that fucker out "

The combination of large, institutionalised aggressive people with violent criminal records, and the hatred often generated by ex-smokers is IMO a recipe for trouble

lol

• Like 4

Campbell Newman is helping QLD live up to one of its great number plate slogans "QLD the Smart State".

People wanted change, so they voted in change via Newman.

This guy is setting the benchmark for stupidity, I think the other states are in real trouble. Our dickhead (Newman) is "un-toppable". I can see the politicians in the other states trying & maybe even thinking they are capable of topping ol' Campbell, but this guy is only just starting to warm to his potential. The real truth will be available after the next QLD state election..."Are QLDers really this stupid ?".

So the real question is, "Can you other states even come close to having such incredible leadership as we in QLD have ?"...I think not, you could only wish.

Mind you, after looking at our more recent Federal election I do have my doubts about the Australian peoples abilities as a whole. People are not willing to think outside the boxes they are presented with & so here we are, dominated by this "2 party preference system".

Prisoners dont smoke anyway...

All they do is wear those funny costumes with arrows and break rock with sledge hammers, im sure they won't mind a bit. :uzi: