The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
2XB

propogation question

Hi all;

I have some queries about getting lopho seeds to germinate...

I've had only 1 go and had no success. So before I pay top dollar again for seeds I wanna get my shit sorted...

Ive had alot of success germinating trich seeds so I pretty much did exactly the same for lopho... which was heated hummidity chamber thingo...

The seed pack was sab mixed lopho 50 pack purchased recently.

So I guess my questions would be;

Do I have to do anything different for loph vs trich.? Seems weird that I have 0% loph germinate compared to the approx 80%+ of trich in the next tray...

Or are the sab seeds a dud??

Cheers

To elaborate exact method;

Soaked commercial seed mix in boiled water for a while. Drained for an hour or so.

Sprinkled seeds over gently compacted seed mix. Pressed in with the back of a desert spoon. Put in a heated seed propogator thing I got from a nursery. Put out of direct sun but well lit for about 12 hrs a day. Min temps in room 9 max 25 over a 3 week period. All vents closed on lid.

Dont know actual bio dome temps...

Edited by doublebenno

Your method sounds fine, I germinate tricho & loph seeds the same way without a drama.

The only thing I would ask you to contemplate is, when are you planning on potting up these seedlings, I mean after they germinate. The answer to this question has changed the way I prepare my lopho seed mix, I have found the less you mess around with young lophs the better. I now sow my loph seeds in lager containers & use a soil mix that will last them for a few years, for example I make a soil mix that I use for my adult lophs using sifted cacti mix 30%, coarse river sand 30%, crushed gravel 30%, medium perlite 10% & fill 2/3rds the container with this, on top of that I put 1/3rd of my normally seedling mix I make which is sifted seedling mix 50% & coarse river sand 50%. The idea is the seedlings start of in the finer seedling mix & as they grow bigger there roots get down to better lopho mix, the seedlings I have grown like this are much further ahead in growth than seedlings sown at the same time that were started of in seedling mix & then dug up & moved into lopho mix. Just something to think about, good luck.

Cheers

Jox

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1

Sweet Jox thanks for the tip. Do you apply the same to all cactus seeds???

Edited by doublebenno