The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
∂an

Nepal

Has anyone here been to Nepal? Any stories and tips on travelling around this intriguing country would be much appreciated. I plan to just take the bear essentials in a backpack, do some treking (not anywhere near the hoards towards Everest base camp, if possible), soak up the hindu and buddhist spirituality and hopefully meet the banjankri :) namaste

I went a few years ago now. The mountains are cool but I also loved it on the terai. Chitwan national park was a highlight for me.

here is some pictures of some ephedra near marpha.

post-13531-0-72619000-1381348546_thumb.j

post-13531-0-82379600-1381349115_thumb.j

post-13531-0-72619000-1381348546_thumb.jpg

post-13531-0-82379600-1381349115_thumb.jpg

post-13531-0-72619000-1381348546_thumb.jpg

post-13531-0-82379600-1381349115_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah true, not so much vegetation in the alpine areas. The terai sounds very interesting. Do the locals use the ephedratomake tea? It is fascinating that so many plants with a human usage come from or grow in this part of the world. How did you get around the place? Bus?

i didn't meet any one that use ephedra gerardiana as medicine. but i did find some that had been munched on by goats. and i think the local use it for fuel also.

i got around by bus mostly, i did take a flight from pokhara to jomson and walked back. pretty easy trek. (i'm not that hardcore)

i also got to try yarchagumba in Kathmandu.

post-13531-0-79527700-1381374181_thumb.j

and this was just growing on the side on a mustard field

post-13531-0-22433900-1381374664_thumb.j

post-13531-0-79527700-1381374181_thumb.jpg

post-13531-0-22433900-1381374664_thumb.jpg

post-13531-0-79527700-1381374181_thumb.jpg

post-13531-0-22433900-1381374664_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ha ok, guess the goats, like me, are yet to learn to nuances of the different ephedra strains :) in the more easterly European countries hemp is everywhere in agricultural areas too, apparently it prevents rodents from munching the real crops.

Jomson looks like a good base to start from for Annapurna, will have to check it out. Looks like a nice walk out down that valley too. How did u get to chitwan?

Thanks for the tips

it was 7 years ago i went. it was before the road was built to jomsom. but i think the walking track stays off the road and is still really nice. I think it get busy at some times of the year.

It really easy to get around, I think i got a bus form Kathmandu to chitwan. you don't get hassled much compared to India.

• Like 1

a lot of us are going in april there is a thread somewhere

• Like 1

I was there early 2007. In on my phone right now so won't write a lengthy post but my highlights were attending shechen monastery daily while they were doing chanting practice for a week and also pokhara which has beautiful and quiet, we'll most of the time, we somehow ended up there during the inaugural paragliding championship with loud speakers blaring bollywoodish music for 8 hours straight!

Eph is used in Tibetan medicine

• Like 1

I'm adventuring there in 3 weeks, its my first time, and am taking my partner & kids along as well, a 6yr old & an 11 month old.

Should be fairly challenging & awesome. We are doing some treks on the Annapurna circuit, just the easier ones and not going too high :unsure: and I was so looking forward to getting really high.

There is so much to see and do I am considering taking my long service leave and the tribe over for a few months to soak up the atmosphere.

• Like 1

I'd love to join you guys big red, but I'm going next month. I've always wanted to learn to climb too... im sure it will be a great trip! i'll report back on where to find the tastiest momos.

fenris that sounds like one hell of a family holiday man, nice one! that will be an awesome experience for your kids. i'm reading that annapurna can be very popular in october and november, so im thinking of heading up there in late november or december depending how long I stay. i'll keep an eye out for a hippy family in the mountains :)

I have christian raestch's book shamanism and tantra in the himalayas... in a box somewhere down under. wish I had it with me, that would be perfect reading for this trip. anyone know of other good books on the topic?

• Like 1

the tastiest mo:mo's are those made with fresh yak meat the week after divali festival, when the yak's are slaughtered. best enjoyed above 3000m with a ghurka beer.

namaste to you all, from nepal!

• Like 4