The Corroboree
Torsten

If you do not provide a valid 'climate or location' you will be deleted

This is primarily an ethnobotany forum which means climate or location are essential for other members to put your contributions and questions into context. From our posting rules:

6) Provide a valid and accurate climate, or a location from which climate can be deduced.

Anyone failing to do so will risk being deleted. without warning.

You do not need to divulge anything that identifies where you live. You can simply use australian or USDA zones with rainfall. There are a number of threads explaining this in detail.

• Like 3

I hope mine is acceptable, I tried to add more but I got a message saying the information was too long.

In most cases if you make an attempt to convey your climate you are probably doing fine. The problem are those members who think that this information is a joke and they use 'orbit' or 'at home'. They might think that they are here mostly for social reasons and hence climate is not important, but frequently they will ask questions or make posts long after they've forgotten about their 'joke' which then becomes extremely irritating to those who want to provide an answer, but need to provide 3 or 4 options because there is no clue to the climate.

What frustrates me most is that long term members who know very well how important that is here have decided to change their climate/location to a joke. well, the joke will be on them.

• Like 1

"yo mamas panties", I hardly ever met this guy, but it still saddens me, if I think of him...

Edited by planthelper

Could a default alternate like Australia be used for those with privacy issues. I don't, have had my location since dot but I see value in choice...a bit like the "not telling" as a default choice for sex.

• Like 1

I would like to know if my details are ok?

I had more details when I joined but long term members PMed me & told me to be more random. I also live on top of a mountain were I get a lot more rain & a lot cooler temps than 20minutes away, so telling everyone I live in cetain part of Australia still leaves a lot of variables anyway. With state laws being different this also makes it hard for members who live in theses states, If you want QLD members to tell everone on a public forum that they live in QLD then they are incriminating them selves every time they post photots of there Lophs or they can not post them & then this forum becomes a place were you can't ask question & is pointless!

Why can't people leave things random & just put in the necessary details when asking a question? For example, I want to know what kind of shroom this is, it was found here. Will this cactus be ok out side though winter, it is growing in an area were the temps drop to .... & it gets about ... rain fall. This is how I have used this forum for the last year & a half & it works fine for me, if people can't ask a question with out putting the reivant inforamtion they need to get an accurate answer then they will not get the answer. This is not my problem & I don't think I should have give more speific details about were I live because others can't ask a detailed question.

Like santiago I like the idea of having a chocie & if I am going to be deleted because I HAVE to give certain details then this is taking away my chocies & I was under the idea that the SAB community hated being told how to live there lives & were fighting to live in a country were having a chocie meant something!!

Anyway I love beeing a part of this community so hopefully my details are ok. I for one am not going to put up more details & risk incriminating myself everytime I show you photos of my garden.

Cheers

Jox

• Like 1

People also need to be aware that there can be some confusion if they do not specify which zone scale they are using. If you state that you're in Australia, then the only really ambiguous number would probably be 7. But if you don't provide a location at all, then something like "zone 4", could be a USDA number and be really cold in North America, or it could be an Australian zone and be quite hot in, say, Western Australia.

In most cases if you make an attempt to convey your climate you are probably doing fine. The problem are those members who think that this information is a joke and they use 'orbit' or 'at home'. They might think that they are here mostly for social reasons and hence climate is not important, but frequently they will ask questions or make posts long after they've forgotten about their 'joke' which then becomes extremely irritating to those who want to provide an answer, but need to provide 3 or 4 options because there is no clue to the climate.

What frustrates me most is that long term members who know very well how important that is here have decided to change their climate/location to a joke. well, the joke will be on them.

Climate is not really enough IMO. It's important, when trying to ascertain whether someone has broken the rules, to know what country (at least) they are in. Someone may have their climate accurately stated, but if they, for example, post pictures of a plant that's illegal in Australia asking for advice on how to care for it, I delete the thread without warning if there is no clear indication that they are in a country where the plant is legal.

Just a hunch, but you'll probably be told that using the USDA system things doesn't really give much away as to your location... There are plenty of locations with the same USDA as you with different, even lenient regulations regarding plants ;)

It's almost to convenient and is sure to keep things looking clean... Also it's also probably our own obligation to keep our information safe and you can only point the finger at yourself when it comes to this... You want to keep it vague, well then just keep it vague an use a USDA.

USDA, can't get this shot outta my head now... It's time to stay at the U S D A! You gotta stay at the U S D A....!

Balzac; out of genuine interest.. How responsible or what level of 'duty of care' does the admin team and those involved have? Regarding being prosecuted etc under Australian law? I understand the laws have changed in nsw regarding advertising etc, but if the forums are hosted overseas and each member accepts a set of T&Cs that they won't break the law where they live, then why does it have to be guarded so carefully? A blanket ban of certain topics ie cannabis, poppies would solve most the issues yeh? But like I said genuinely keen to hear about the real world implications and responsibility the mod team and Torsten have over this beast we all love...

Edited by prioritise

I really couldn’t care either way, but you can write your climate without divulging your actual location, as has been explained. lol, not to mention that even I know where most of the senior members live who don’t have a location in there profile, simply from reading past posts. So it’s futile anyway.

Apart from that, it’s just paranoia when people don’t put their location in. Truth is, if the secret service (or whatever) had any interest in tracking you down to bust you for your lophs, then they can anyway. They don’t need your location in your profile.

Not to mention that being on a site like this and being suspiciously secretive, ironically just makes you look like you have something to hide and there for more of a target than someone who has there location on there profile.

I was under the idea that the SAB community hated being told how to live there lives & were fighting to live in a country were having a chocie meant something!!

To be fair, there's a big difference between the state telling you how you need to live your life to be a free member of society, and a private forum telling you what information you need to provide in order to use the service.

To be fair, there's a big difference between the state telling you how you need to live your life to be a free member of society, and a private forum telling you what information you need to provide in order to use the service.

Fair enough.

But if someone can explain how putting your zone will help answer questions?Like it has been said already living in a certain zone still leaves a lot of variables. I would think the frustration of old members not getting the details they need to answer questions would be better fixed by someone pinning a post explaining how to ask a question.

@SunChaser, you may call it paranoia but if you live in a state were centain things are illegal I would say you would be pretty stupid to state your location & then ask questions about these plants & I was under the impression that this site asks you NOT to incriminate yourself.

These are just my thoughts & oppinions & I am not trying to came across as rude or ungrateful.

Cheers

Jox

According to the law it’s still incrimination, whether you point it out or not.

Anyway, just saying for example ‘subtropical’ (or whatever your climate is), with details of the rainfall would easily solve the problem, would it not? Don’t want to start an argument, just pointing out that it isn’t the huge deal people have made it out to be.

According to the law it’s still incrimination, whether you point it out or not.

Anyway, just saying for example ‘subtropical’ (or whatever your climate is), with details of the rainfall would easily solve the problem, would it not? Don’t want to start an argument, just pointing out that it isn’t the huge deal people have made it out to be.

Hey mate, it is only incrimination if it is illegal in the state were you live & by telling people you have incriminated yourself, that is my point. As some plants are fine in one state they are illegal in an other. By leaving my location vague I can be involved in all conversations.

What you are saying as an example makes sense to me but why can't people just add that to there post when they are asking a question like I said before, that would make more sense to me than keeping it under your name all the time.

Some members my not care because they live in a state were all of there plants are aloud but what happens when the laws get changed & you have a few years of posts showing of your collection.

Like I said before I am not wanting to cause problems & I understand what others are saying, I am just putting across another point of view. All of this could be forgotten if a mod would just explain to new members how to ask a question.

Cheers

Jox

I think it's going to create a lot of confusion if people rely on a zone system like the USDA model. Yeti posted links to one format, PH posted a link to another and if I google Australian USDA zones I get another completely different model.

I fall into a zone 4 purple area on the Australian government website http://www.anbg.gov.au/gardens/research/hort.research/zones.html and even that seems inaccurate because my climate is much more extreme than people living a few kilometers away. I was hosing ice off a lot my plants each morning all through winter this year and news reports only reported one frost (as far as I know). In summer I can add 5 degrees C to any peak temp measured by the bureau of meteorology just up the road.

Rainfall levels are mostly irrelevant for a large percentage of Aussies as a lot of us have tap water.

Things like maximum summer temps and minimum winter temps and the incidence of frost or snow are the most important details I need to know. Those zone systems can be a good indicator of frost and snow but really I don't pay much attention to them because of their inherent inaccuracies.

Given the new paradigm of government control, I can understand why people would be hesitant to reveal too many details regarding location.

• Like 2

Seems fair.

Can we also ban people who post ID threads without posting a picture? :D

• Like 2

dtKd1jx.jpg

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 3

The zone is really only indicative of temperature and hence not enough for many question, but it does limit the replies dramatically and hence is a minimum requirement.

For members who want good plant information I suggest you elaborate on your climate by providing all relevant information. Many of the older or more knowledgable members simply skip plant questions if the required info is not provided as the answers become so tedious. So for plant people it is in their interest to provide as much info as possible. For the rest we simply need to know whether they are in oz or not [for moderation purposes] and what their zone is.

The zones do not reveal what state you are in so there are no legal implications.

Is mine good enough?

Is mine good enough?

perfect.

I assume mine is fine

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here I don't really want to have to change it

temperate is quite meaningless. could be anything from rockhampton to Hobart.

I tried to adjust my climate info, but as we know, you can only enter a very brief discription otherwise you get this message ...

' The data you entered exceeds the maximum allowed'. Melbourne has temps of -2 to 47 degree Celsius, and i wanted to enter that info, but i exceeded the maximum allowed. Melbourne's weather is described as having four seasons in one day.

Can the maximum data be expanded just a bit to allow for more info to give a better idea on the climate? I guess i could do the zone thing ,though Its easier to look at the profile and see what the climate is like rather than google where is zone 4 ?!