The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mesqualero

Is there a point of no return in meditation?

Guest si

There is no such thing as "the truth" ( unless there is, of course).

Mine and your peception of truth is based within the consciousness, which in turn is an integral part of why we (conscious bubbles of mind) exist at all......MEANING!

unless it isn't, of course.

Originally posted by DragonFyre:

hey Darklight, Im not saying that this IS the way to go, Im just asking people to look into it.......then again maybe you'll just remain close-minded like most people out there

Perhaps then you have a problem with communication. Your post contradicts itself by swinging between the absolutes of saying on the one hand that this might not be the Right Way ( TM ) and on the other that those who don't do as you suggest are destined to remain ignorant.

I have no problem with your views or anyone else's. I do however retain a particular loathing for the idea that any disagreement with any paradigm, or the focus of one's life on other issues than those supported by the allegedly enlightened comprises some kind of spiritual treason.

And for all I care six months ago you were a purple dragon in a spandex tutu. I'm glad you found happiness, and your prose certainly betrays the enthusiastic clumsiness of the zealous newly converted.

However your arguments are circular and constitute no proof, which does your case no favours, you might want to consider that when next you engage in textual fistucuffs. And your language presents itself in such a way as to deny any sort of humanity or reasonableness for those who disagree with you.

Like I said, I have no problems with your views, but I won't stand for you denying anyone else the possible validity of theirs, whatever they may be.

The primary message of all these posts seems to be not that you've found happiness, not that you've bought new considerations to bear to add to the wonderful and expanding pool of possibilities, but that everyone else is wrong, stupid and ignorant if they don't agree with you.

Originally posted by Mesqualero:

I think that what vendejo posted is not a religion per se

What vendejo posted was perfectly reasonable, that wasn't my point smile.gif

One of the things I like about the SAB forums is that there is a diversity of views and opinions, experiences and skills. You want to be religious, or athiest, means nothing to me. You want to imply that everyone else here is doomed and ignorant if they choose to dissent, that's disrespectful of all the people here, and I get to play smile.gif

Guest si

darklight wrote:

" and I get to play "

and the rest of us get to watch her... truly a spectator's sport !

Guest DragonFyre

thanks for proving my points of peoples ignorance Darklight wink.gif

like I said I was just trying to offer some information to those whom are open-minded enough to explore something new that might just teach them something about themselves

and maybe you should lay off whatever is causing you to be so paranoid and reading into everything WAY too much... something unfortunately a few people on these SAB forums do because like you said there is such diversity and many good people here with alot of good genuine information to share and trade or buy/sell plants/seeds with and many people whom put in alot of hard work toward helping nature in there own way

I respect your views Darklight on any religion/beliefs and Im not saying to throw up your hands of everything you have faith/devotion in, just to open your mind to the possibility of something new and maybe, just maybe take a look at that site or other gnostic schools around and you might change your mind, however if you dont its no skin off my nose... wink.gif

and the best thing is you could prove it all for yourself if you took the time

and the best thing is you could prove it all for yourself if you took the time

Your assumption that I haven't contains the inherent presupposition that you of course have. I presume neither.

and maybe you should lay off whatever is causing you to be so paranoid and reading into everything WAY too much...

Nah, you give me too much credit for caring. Perhaps you need the attention?

something unfortunately a few people on these SAB forums do

ah, here we go again, nebulous numbers of nameless people doing bad things smile.gif I think we've been here before, oh, you weren't around for them...

I do admit to being proactive in the defence of both the forums and the ppl here, which is why I took exception to your priggish absolutism. You can think you're right til yer blue in the face smile.gif but stuffed if I'll stand your constant references to the fact that no-one else can be unless its done your way.

Guest VENDEJO
Originally posted by Mesqualero:

So basically we just ring this number. and say "uhh this guy on the computer said I should call you about meditation..."

Just say you're interested in trying out the meditation technique.  I know Alan Khor (Melbourne), he's an extremely decent bloke - who's been practicing for over 10 years, he'd put himself on the line to help an interested person learn more about this method of meditation.

I went to the www.chinghai.com  website but couldnt find anything relating to practitioners in Australia...

Yeah there are literally almost hundreds of web sites currently online that are related  to the Quan Yin method.  Not sure if there is currently a Australian web site.  Suma Ching Hai (another living Master) does visit Australia about once a year or so.  She travels around and speaks to practitioners in person, with no "higher moral ground/holier than thou" approach (as demonstrated by DragonFyre).

This practice sounds alot like "Sant Mat" a science of Indian origins meaning Science of the Saints or Holy Path.

Good call Mesqualero. Checked out the web site and you're right. There seem to be a few living Masters helping people around the world (to become Masters (of) themselves).

You sound quite enlightened in regards to spiritual practice. Have you been practicing this Sant Mat form of meditation?

The "Quan Yin" (simply meaning "Contemplating Inner Sound) method is very simple that's why I stupidly openly publicised it on this forum. You also meditate on the inner light after you are initiated.

Mesq, have you been strictly practicing the Vipassana way of meditation?

It sounds like you have had a big Indian spiritual focus, while mine has been orientated around mainland China (because I used to practice Chinese Kung Fu and went on from there).

Guest VENDEJO

I'm Jesus

(j/k)

Do you really feel that you are the first person to achieve some level of enlightenment?

Do you really think you are the first atheist to see the light?

Good to see you're on The Way.

[This message has been edited by VENDEJO (edited 15 April 2002).]

Originally posted by VENDEJO:

(because I used to practice Chinese Kung Fu and went on from there).

How long did you do that for? What was it like? Details? I'm interested!

Aaah, I miss training frown.gif Bloody insurance fiascos

[This message has been edited by Darklight (edited 14 April 2002).]

been watching too much crouching tiger hidden dragon darklight? i dont like the chinese martial arts, me thinks to much bullshit is involved. no use being able to throw 10 punches a second when they have no strength behind them and you never get to put it into practice. it's all impractical fantasy shit, we had one kung-foo dude come to my former kickboxing club and have a spar with on of the average people there, quite humourous. smile.gif

Originally posted by assassin:

been watching too much crouching tiger hidden dragon darklight?

How can one have too much wink.gif Only seen it once anyhow

we had one kung-foo dude come to my former kickboxing club and have a spar with on of the average people there, quite humourous. smile.gif

There's always someone better than you out there, as my old sparring partner used to say. Mind you I've heard you take your training pretty seriously, shame I was too crook to talk to you at EB2 it would have been good smile.gif

It's not merely the fighting and fitness aspects of training which I enjoy(ed) or I would have stuck with aerobics class, it was the focus and discipline which translated into other aspects of my life. I never got real far but it did me the world of good. Hope someone sorts the insurance thing out soon as the local class was the best I'd ever been to

Guest DragonFyre

its amazing how people will twist your words or complete make them up (thanx for that VENDEJO - u just broke one of your own 'five precepts there, no 2 to be more precise) to suit their own will

well the proof is right there under your nose to anyone who aint bios to the situation... I aint wasting my breath anymore after this, all I did was try and help by offering some information to those interested and wanting some answers. I never said that anyones beliefs were wrong or anything like that (once again certain people reading WAY too far into things) I said that they *MAY* be misguided, that *I* personally wouldnt know as I dont follow those people - thats something you should look into if your gonna follow someone so you dont go blindly following someone whom is more blind to the truth than youself

you know its amazing how when you read back over something you can sometimes see how YOUR interpretation of that persons words were wrong, not that persons words... its all in how the consciousness percieves something (or how ones egos can get in the way and manipulate, a point thats once again been proven...)

half the reason religion is sooo bent out of shape these days (in most cases) people bending truths to suit their needs/wants/beliefs

Guest DragonFyre

The woman who has been spreading the Word is Ching Hai.  She is the least selfish "Master" I have ever encountered.  She regularly visits people around the world.  She won't accept any donations.  All of it is free of charge

this however is a *VERY* good sign that she is on the right path VANDEJO, anyone whom asks for money/material items in exchange for spiritual knowledge CANNOT give true spiritual guidance (it has been tainted) All spiritual teachings/guidance must be given freely...

[This message has been edited by DragonFyre (edited 15 April 2002).]

Did,nt know we had a few martial arts

practicioners on the forum.I,m into the

filipino martial arts,arnis/kali/eskrima/

filipino(dirty) boxing,been doing it for about 4-5 years.Cant completely agree with

assassins opinion of kung fu as my teacher(world senior mens WEKAF 2000 titles=bronze in combat.gold in forms) also has instuctor qualifications in the shaolin style of five animals(went to the

shaolin temple in china to learn)and he hits harder than anyone I,ve ever met before,and he,s about 50 years old.We are also taught,

if your gonna hit someone make every punch counts,no pissy little jabs to set up for a cross,you should be able to drop someone with

one good fast(speed is one of the benefits of

Arnis)jab.I,ve trained in afew other martial arts before but this is my favourite.see ya,s

Guest VENDEJO
Originally posted by assassin:

been watching too much crouching tiger hidden dragon darklight?

I couldn't watch that film for long personally, did either of you guys actually see support crew pulling them up by rope and pulleys in the background when they were doing their "air fighting"?

i dont like the chinese martial arts, me thinks to much bullshit is involved. no use being able to throw 10 punches a second when they have no strength behind them and you never get to put it into practice.

Kung Fu (Gong Fu) refers to over a hundred different Chinese Martial Arts. In fact "Gong Fu" literally means Martial Art in Chinese.

I think you were referring to Wing Chun Kung Fu, with your "10 punches a second" call. William Cheung could do that and I understand he still holds the record for the most number of punches in 10 seconds (if I remember correctly).

The actual IMPACT was recorded too, so no airy crap punches were allowed. Get your facts straight.

it's all impractical fantasy shit, we had one kung-foo dude come to my former kickboxing club and have a spar with on of the average people there, quite humourous. smile.gif

You sound like a usual martial arts practioner. Most ppl are initially deluded into thinking their school is the best, when they don't try out other schools and styles. Most martial arts teachers who rubbish other people's styles (or schools) are often insecure about their own school and feel the need to make sure their students stick with them by sending out a particular message.

Can I just say at this point that I checked out ALL the Kung Fu schools in Victoria and in regards to 95% of them I'd have to agree with you when you said "there's too much bullshit involved". In fact I'd say after looking at various Karate and Aikido schools that 95% of all martial art schools in Victoria, let alone Australia, or the world, are really bad news (i.e. not worth your time, money or effort unfortunately).

Many of them are stepping stones for people who initially think martial arts are all pretty much the same, when in fact saying "martial art" is similar to saying "sport" in regards to how much variation there is between different practices/styles.

In fact Miyamato Musashi (a Japanese man who killed over sixty men in fights and duels whilst living in medieval Japan) put it best in his "Book of Five Rings" when he said to truly understand that your style of martial art is the best - is when you contemplate others. They're all relative and share some common characteristics, were developed for different purposes (such as Tae Kwon Doe - for Koreans looking to fight people on horseback, and Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu - for fighting people on houseboats in Hong Kong!!!) and often share the same history when you look way back at how they originated.

I think a martial art school has to be pragmatic in its approach, the teacher has to be right for you and the style has to be practical, efficient and effective. A good way of judging a martial art school is by studying the senior students (and imitating them), working out if you want to end up just like them.

Darklight - I've practiced at a fantastic southern-style Crane/Snake/Praying Mantis Gong Fu school near me but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to devote my life to. There's a lot involved. I've also practiced at a number of other martial arts schools in the past.

Kick boxing is no doubt quite a powerful way of fighting, in that it has powerful strikes, stamina and conditioning involved. When is it practical in use, though? I think it's fantastic but I personally don't want to be charged with assault like some of my friends and am now even considering taking up Aikido.

All of these martial arts have their place in society. Good on you Assassin for being so passionate about what you do.

[This message has been edited by VENDEJO (edited 15 April 2002).]

[This message has been edited by VENDEJO (edited 16 April 2002).]

Can I say here that when I was training and I had friends training in boxing

And I've met boxers who've beaten martial arts ppl in an open spar. Think it depends on the persons involved and as my mate said " there's always someone beter than you so no-one should get smug "

You sound like an average martial arts practioner.

Actually I hear he's rather good, don't underestimate ppl smile.gif he's just shy and doesn't spruik. Anyhow how good or bad one is doesn't matter ( unless you're in the ring of course wink.gif ) cos everyone has something to learn.

he said to truly understand that your style of martial art is the best - is when you contemplate others.

I thought that was one of the whole points of learning. A good martial arts ( of any kind ) discipline teaches you about so much more than mere fighting. Watching how you learn, watching how other people react, learning about space, strategy and timing. Learning your weak points and accepting that they need work but aren't necessarily your weaknesses... all that stuff

Darklight - I've practiced at a fantastic southern-style Crane/Snake/Praying Mantis Gong Fu school near me but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to devote my life to.

As with any discipline its as life consuming as you make it. And once you're up there I understand the demands are quite high

Good on you Assassin for being so passionate about what you do.

Yay!

I thought we were talking about meditation!!! Spiritual practice is much more enlightening!

Are you saying there *isn't* a spiritual side to training? My favorite instructor used to insist we meditate as a part of our classes and it was him who reminded me how to meditate when I forgot. And the first thing he ever taught us was that learning to fight was about learning how not to, cos you didn't have to, so you could spend the fear energy that nervous & inexperienced ppl have ( which starts or augments many bad situations ) in resolving or shifting the focus of the conflict. Or on protecting other ppl, or even on leaving safely. They're as much options in most conflict sitches as fighting.

A bit of nouse, fitness and heart goes a long way to sorting conflicts once you know you have nothing much to fear. And killing ppl is easy, all sorts of idiots can do it with the push of a button, martial arts doesn't have the monopoly on that, but what it teaches me is how to better live with ppl smile.gif

And I think we have rather a few martial arts types here, many different disciplines, many levels of training.

Aside from a certain inherent or trained reluctance to discuss that aspect of their lives there is also a stigma in many circles where the ability to fight is seens as the sole attribute of such training, and viewed as a negative if not antisocial posession. Nothing could be further from the truth IME.

What does interest me is that a dedicated interest ( not mindless following mind ) in one discipline, whether it be martial arts or any other field, will often give rise to a desire to enquire further into other realms of possibility. Which can only be a good thing.

Guest Thelema

i think the safest thing to say after reading all of the nonsense written here is that you are all full of shit (no offence)

it is obvious the contortions of perspective and phantasmagoria of doctrine spat out here really is just an ego defence against realizing that the world is inherently meaningless...there are no "higher worlds"!

There is nothing that 'it is like' for us to be "beyond ourselves" this is a fundamental philosophical error. Truth can only begin when we begin, as individuals and collectively, not to set up little myths and fairytales of the "beyond" but accept ourselves in our absurdity, finiteness and boringness. Alleviate yourselves yes, amuse yourselves, yes, and construct ascientific unfalsifiable propostions within contortious metaphysical realms...but please do not go so far as to claim that what any of you are talking about could possibly be truth!

The way to truth is NOT a process of discovery or construction...it is a process largely of forgetting the conditioned mind, emptying our concepts and thus to our precepts....only then ...only then...may our notions of nothing and everything become fundamentally breached, and within our emptiness shines all.

Guest si

it is what it is.....FOR YOU !

one thing to believe in something and another to preach it to others.

this forum (IMO) is about the exchange of IDEAS not BELIEFS...unless it isn't.

do what you dig and dig what you do..nuff said.

Originally posted by Thelema:

i think the safest thing to say after reading all of the nonsense written here is that you are all full of shit (no offence)

You make that sound like a bad thing smile.gif

may our notions of nothing and everything become fundamentally breached

So they should be, everyday. There is far too much certainty in this uncertain universe

and within our emptiness shines all.

If there's something shining in there then it ain't empty wink.gif ....ah well, you know

[This message has been edited by Darklight (edited 16 April 2002).]

Guest VENDEJO
Originally posted by Thelema:

I guess it takes one to know one biggrin.gif. You're full of shit if you don't believe in a law greater than yourself. I'd have to say Dragon Fyre was really trying hard to teach us about some gnostic learning he's interested in. Sometimes it is difficult to use words to convey the learning that you have acquired within. Sorry if we offended you.

I wouldn’t say I used to take it seriously darklight, but I learn fast and found that I was pretty decent at it, plus I didn’t have anything to do except train every second day. I also liked the focus and discipline part of it, a few good rounds of sparing after a workout is so hard to endure physically that you really need to be focused, learn proper breathing teqs etc. it was kinda a form of meditation for me in some ways.

There's always someone better than you out there

Of course, it wasn’t the fact that the kickboxer was better but that the wing-chun dude was so bad and just plain looked retarded. Anyone who has never fought before would probably look the same.

And I've met boxers who've beaten martial arts ppl in an open spar

hehe, boxing isn’t a martial art? I think it's one of the more useful martial arts due to the fact that you actually get to put it into practice, learn how to punch a person (opposed to a bag) and how to receive a punch without receiving much damage. I don’t like MA's that don’t put their training into practice (sparing).

Watching how you learn, watching how other people react, learning about space, strategy and timing. Learning your weak points and accepting that they need work but aren't necessarily your weaknesses... all that stuff

Excellent point! and I doubt you could learn any of this without even non-contact sparing. I understand wing-chun and most kung-foos don’t spar.

so you could spend the fear energy that nervous & inexperienced ppl have ( which starts or augments many bad situations ) in resolving or shifting the focus of the conflict. Or on protecting other ppl, or even on leaving safely. They're as much options in most conflict sitches as fighting.

Another excellent point, I was gonna try and say something like that but didn’t know how to word it, I think I would be more inclined to start fighting if I hadn’t done any training because of that fear for my safety, the adrenalin kicking in and you thinking you had to fight for your life. I handle conflict situations much better than I would without training.

A bit of nouse, fitness and heart goes a long way to sorting conflicts once you know you have nothing much to fear.... but what it teaches me is how to better live with ppl

Very true, I wrote something similar below before I’d read your post.

So what ma experience have you had Darlight?

Andrew, I said kickboxing cause there's less to explain than if you say 'freestyle martial arts', my sense has a high belt in the Filipino martial arts as well, it's got lots of good stuff in it. *Maybe* I was a bit harsh, but I did my research,

Checked out the local clubs, seen the UFC fights, gone to tournaments that kung foo people go to (not that they compete in sparing or grappling at all, just weird ass impractical dancy forms). I think the fact that they base their fighting style on animals, don’t spar and don’t grapple (or ground fight) says allot about the practicality.

We are also taught, if your gonna hit someone make every punch counts,no pissy little jabs to set up for a cross,you should be able to drop someone with

one good fast(speed is one of the benefits of Arnis)jab.

If your fighting someone who knows how to fight your gonna have allot of trouble hitting them if you think you can take em down with one punch (no fakes). How are you going to punch them in the face when they're covering it up? Just reinforced my view on kung foo.

Can I say here that when I was training and I had friends training in boxing at the same time I would always ask them if they would get in the ring with me (no kicking), for training's sake. They always made excuses which was a shame.

Well that doesn’t prove anything, I’m willing to put money on a fair match, wing-chun vs boxing any day. I think it would be pretty funny. I mean considering full contact sparing is a huge part of boxing training and wing-chung practitioners don’t spar how would you expect the chung person to win? Have you ever seen a boxer use kung-foo style in a ring? Have you seen the ufc fights that included kung-foo practitioners?

You sound like an average martial arts practioner

I’m not, I’m and open minded ex martial arts practitioner, I quit cause I wasn’t happy with my school

Can I just say at this point that I checked out ALL the Kung Fu schools in Victoria and in regards to 95% of them I'd have to agree with you when you said "there's too much bullshit involved". In fact I'd say after looking at various Karate and Aikido schools that 95% of all martial art schools in Victoria, let alone Australia, or the world, are really bad news (i.e. not worth your time, money or effort unfortunately).

Well there you go, now checkout the boxing/kickboxing and grappling (wresting) schools. At least you know there is no bullshit cause when you get in that ring you find out what works and what doesn’t.

Course your right about all the martial arts being developed for different purposes, I’m not gonna bag out capoera or tai chi cause it's impractical because they have different aims in mind, but it seems that the wing-chun schools and/or students are always claiming how theirs is the best/complete fighting system. That is just complete bullshit, and from the very small amount of wing-chun I have done it does seem that they're going the hard way about doing stuff, ie compare a 2 year kickboxer to a 2 year wing-chun practitioner (put em in a ring). How come no UFC fighter cross trains in kung-foo? Very simple, impractical. Why use 4 moves when you can use 1. I mean how can you progress and better yourself in fighting if you don’t fight???? Why wont they accept that ground fighting/grappling is superior or at least extremely valuable?

Kick boxing is no doubt quite a powerful way of fighting. When is it practical in use, though? I think it's fantastic but I personally don't want to be charged with assault like some of my friends and am now even considering taking up Aikido.

Very true, that's one of the reasons I’ll be taking up a grappling art when I get around to it, Brazilian ju-jitsu or Greco-roman... the thing that's keeping me away from Greco-roman at the moment is the fact that they wear singlets and lycra shorts... sweaty men in skimpy clothing crawling all over each other sharing bodily fluids, it's enough to make you cringe.

Kickboxing (even though that's not exactly what I did) is very practical in both a fair fight, and as self-defence, if your defending yourself against an unprovoked attack then why care what damage you do to the person. Many (most?) kickboxing clubs do teach self-defence. Then again, when is a fight ever fair? I would think mostly in the "yeah, well lets step outside then" situation and can be avoided, at least in my experience in the last couple of years of skateboarding at a skatepark in a shitty part of my neighbourhood, the conflict situations I’ve been involved something like 7 people on 2, sometimes with weapons... even then we just walked away. The more conflict situations I’m in the more I realise violence is the worst solution, even if you succeed in beating everyone up, they'll come back the next day with more people, weapons or just do something to your house/car.

At least I now have the confidence to try and resolve the situation and can pretty honestly say that I don’t have much problem with being hit, when you know how to cover up/deflect you don’t get much damage done, and when you've been knocked out with a kick to the head in training then got up and thanked your opponent for the spar you kinda get over the fear. Now I wonder how a wing chun student would react to getting hit in the head, I know the first time it happened to me I freaked me right out I basically wanted to run home to mum. I think (my opinion) if a martial art student that hadn’t done any contact sparring got hit in the head hard for the first time they would either go ballistic and beat the person to a pulp if they could or freak out and start running.

Aikido. The most I know about that is what I learnt from the book I read on it and the people I’ve talked to about it. Although I’m a doubtful as to how it would stand up in practice I respect it because of the fact that it's supposed to be a non-violent fighting style and doesn’t claim to be the best. My memories fuzzy on this cause the book didn’t interest me much but I don’t think I saw any shoot fighting type ground fighting stuff. why not? because they're sticking to tradition, because they worship the person who invented it as a god (at least some do) and wont accept that there are other useful fighting styles out there. If you've seen the first UFC you would have seen Hoyce Gracie (Brazilian jiujutsu) defeat a world champion kareteka in a full contact, no rules fight without throwing a punch or injuring his opponent in anyway even though if the kareteka had the chance he would have beaten him to a pulp. The kareteka was disarmed within the first few second. I think Gracie actually won most his fight's without hurting his opponent even when it would have given him an advantage.

I'll say that I don’t really knock any martial art (too much), especially if I haven’t given it a chance and trained in it, I’m just tired of all the bullshit and fantasy that surrounds kung-foo, if they were really interested in training good fighters or people that can defend themselves they would at least incorporate ground fighting and consider sparing.

Guest Thelema

Hmmm..you guys seem really keen on the idea of "subjective truth". You see, the word "truth" originally was used in contexts on par with "objective".

And then someone appended it (i think it was kierkegaard)with the word "subjective". Originally i think he thought he was being rather clever because he was being paradoxical, but he wouldnt realise what a mess he's created in the language (even tho he wrote in danish)

So my problem is, if there's now "subjective truth" and "objective truth" then what exactly does "truth" mean? If truth has *lost* its association with objectivity, then how does a false objective belief differ from a subjective truth?

It follows from this that subjective truth about the objective/reality is in fact indistinguishable philosophically from a false belief. To proclaim the right to a 'subjective truth' is no more than saying you have a right to believe whatever you want.

But it gets more pernicious than this because now people are thinking they are talking about some variant of "truth" when in fact they are not at all.

Such stuff should be recognised as fable or poetry....not that theres anything wrong with that smile.gif

But I always thought people are not in general justified in believeing whatever they want...they must be guided by reason.

We are also taught, if your gonna hit someone make every punch counts,no pissy little jabs to set up for a cross,you should be able to drop someone with

one good fast(speed is one of the benefits of Arnis)jab.

If your fighting someone who knows how to fight your gonna have allot of trouble hitting them if you think you can take em down with one punch (no fakes). How are you going to punch them in the face when they're covering it up? Just reinforced my view on kung foo.

Perhaps I should have said that differently

I would be a fool if I thought I could end a fight with one punch,I was thinking more along the lines of doing max. damage with every punch whether you throw one or six.I dont practice kung fu(I have but found it to be unsatisfactory for the same reasons you are talking about)If I want to punch someone in the face and I cant get through their defense I,ll attack some where else first if I can(balls,knees,).Filipino boxing is very similar to muay thai except that I,ll try and hurt you with my blocks rather than just

block or parry,instead of lifting my leg to block a low kick,I,ll try to point my knee into your shin,for straight punches to the face I try to take em right on the elbow and damage your hands.We use whatever works the best,Arnis is known for borrowing useful moves from any martial art,be it boxing or fencing.blah blah blah.....

alright i see what you mean, boxers when in a ring wont punch their hardest or commit until they are sure they can land a good punch without leaving themselves open to an attack themselves, especially when the opponent is so good and the fight could go for a very long time. on the street i'm sure it would be a different story.

in our club it was acceptable to both block and/or cover up, blocking has it's disadvantages in that you are possibly leaving yourself open, depends on the situation, it's good to have that reflex action if someone goes to punch you totally unsuspected, happened to a friend the otherday in a club, some guy just turned around and smaked him in the head for no reason at all. blocking is very valuable to know but up against a good fighter i dont think i would block at all. i like muay thai, i wish there was a good school near me.

rather than just block or parry,instead of lifting my leg to block a low kick,I,ll try to point my knee into your shin

very effective if you can do it good, makes em think twice about doing it again. like in that clip you sent me, fuck, if you lived next door to me you would have heard me scream "AHHH...FUCK!" as i covered up my face.

Arnis is known for borrowing useful moves from any martial art,be it boxing or fencing.blah blah blah.....

ahhh, that explains it.