The Corroboree
J Smith

I use cactus as a plural

I know that the dictionary states that the plural of cactus is cacti or cactuses. I'm convinced that the plural of cactus should be cactus.

It is sometimes not possible to tell, by sight alone, whether a multi-armed columnar cactus, or a multi-headed button type cactus, is a single plant or multiple plants close together. This leads to circumstances where an individual could incorrectly say 'look at those cacti/cactuses' when in fact they are referring to a single plant, or alternatively, 'look at that cactus' when (incorrectly) referring to multiple plants. To overcome this issue I only refer to cactus as cactus, regardless of the number of plants.

Do we have any multilingual members who can advise whether other languages use the same word to refer to cactus in both the singular and plural?

Languages evolved through adaptation.

Maybe it's time to set an evolutionary trend ;)

I use cacti more than I use cactus manly because if it feels right I say it / write it that way. Normally cacti = multiple.

I wouldn't take much notice of me though as I don't think I am able to pronounce the names of any of my cacti correctly as most I have never heard anyone say. They have always been written and then it comes down to me saying in my head how I think it is pronounced which tends to be way off as I get some very strange looks from people when I start talking about my collection. :blink:

I am certainly not multilingual I cant even do single lingual proper. :P

Cheers

Got

Friggin' fake latin...

I'm with you madhouse, fuck what the dictionary says. :)

so the plural of plant should be plant? because it is sure as hell more difficult to tell some clumps of plants apart than cacti.

Cactus can be correctly used as a plural. I heard Sasha shulgin say that's the case in a mp3 of a lecture titled 'cacti'

If I believe anyone it'd be him

• Like 1

lol

I really don't care what ppl use, as long as I can figure out what they mean

but I hafta to admit I find it humorous when someone uses 'cactus' as the plural...

"Man, Look at those Cactus" ... laff

I do a similar butchering with the word Penis...
I've got a good size penis plant, sporting a bunch of 'Peni'

Edited by Spine Collector

I find it similarly amusing when people use the word cactis

"I've got a good size penis plant, sporting a bunch of 'Peni'"

If it ever again eventuates that I attend a social event in drag, I'll call myself Penny in your honor.

You guys got it all wrong. Its cactuses. :lol: Need a german to tell you proper english. If number exceeds 100, it´s called cactises.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

lol wut... aha! okay then

scuse me, I meant 'Pee Nye' Latin 'Penii'

I thought the german was 'kakten'

like less than 10 is 'Kakten', but more than ten is 'Kakteen' no?

shows what I gno...

nothing to see here ppl... keep moving!

Edited by Spine Collector

scuse me, I meant 'Pee Nye' Latin 'Penii'

I know Peni in latin would be pee-nye (or Pen-eye), I was taking artistic liberty... its the prerogative of any man in a dress, didnt you know? Tho a feather tiara gets me the liberty too, it has to, I'm not in a dress, no wedding today.

If I called myself pee-nye while in drag guys might think I was into guy pee, but in fact only girl pee is good.

Perhaps mushroom pee, too.

Cacti dont pee do they?

Penii would be more like Pen-E-eye, or perhaps Pee-nee-eye if latin can tolerate two two letter syllables at the start in that case.

I'll bow to EG on the german, I learned to be cautious with that after downloading a vid called Karin und Schaferhund from a p2p network.

• Like 1

I know that the dictionary states that the plural of cactus is cacti or cactuses. I'm convinced that the plural of cactus should be cactus.

It is sometimes not possible to tell, by sight alone, whether a multi-armed columnar cactus, or a multi-headed button type cactus, is a single plant or multiple plants close together. This leads to circumstances where an individual could incorrectly say 'look at those cacti/cactuses' when in fact they are referring to a single plant, or alternatively, 'look at that cactus' when (incorrectly) referring to multiple plants. To overcome this issue I only refer to cactus as cactus, regardless of the number of plants.

Do we have any multilingual members who can advise whether other languages use the same word to refer to cactus in both the singular and plural?

Are you sure you are using it as a plural and not as a mass noun? I have heard people do the latter (and often do it myself), but not the former. You didn't give an example of your own usage, so it's hard to tell.

Example of using it as a plural: "I've got about 100 cactus in my yard"

Example of using it as a mass noun: "I've got a lot of cactus in my yard"

The problem you note with your examples is not solved by using cactus as a plural, as the pronoun "that/those" still identifies whether you think you're referring to a single plant or multiple plants. However, using cactus as a mass noun solves the problem, because a mass noun can be used with a singular pronoun when talking about any quantity. e.g. your example of saying "look at that cactus" would be quite valid for multiple plants if you are using "cactus" as a mass noun, but would be invalid if you are using it as a plural because it should then become "look at those cactus". Thus, using it as a plural does not allow for ambiguity that you are hoping for, but using it as a mass noun does.

• Like 1

I wouldn't take much notice of me though as I don't think I am able to pronounce the names of any of my cacti correctly as most I have never heard anyone say. They have always been written and then it comes down to me saying in my head how I think it is pronounced which tends to be way off as I get some very strange looks from people when I start talking about my collection. :blink:

Hahahaha! I am like this too, and because i started collecting at the same time as a few mates, who trusted my ability to pronounce botanical names better than their own, they all picked up my fucked up way of pronouncing plant names. When i hear someone else who seems geekier than me pronounce a botanical name differently i quickly adapt my own pronounciation and pretend it was always like that :P

• Like 1

here is an other one...

I feel sick, if people say, peoples, and it seems to get more common, specialy with the trivial people of channel 7 and American news casts.

btw, I might be featured in ch 7 local (Capricornia) news 18 00, in a report about the giant aircraft, antonov...

Edited by planthelper

here is an other one...

I feel sick, if people say, peoples, and it seems to get more common, specialy with the trivial people of channel 7 and American news casts.

btw, I might be featured in ch 7 local (Capricornia) news 18 00, in a report about the giant aircraft, antonov...

What is your problem with "peoples"? In what context? In fact, your use of the word "people" as a plural is in fact the result of the misappropriation of the word to mean "persons", which it used not to and the two are actually derived from different Latin words, populum and persona, respectively. The word "people" was originally singular and referred to a populus. So, for example, Chinese persons as a group are "a people", and likewise Japanese persons are also "a people". Collectively, along with some other groups, we may refer to them as "the peoples of Asia".

dunno, it sounds wrong.

I am out of my leuge, with above said, gives me a head ache (yep, I blame my dyslexia for it),

sorry zac, I know you tried.

I remember trying to correct my teacher as a six year old girl becuase she kept saying peoples..

As far as I know Ballzac is correct, i didnt believe my teacher though, i thought she was just being a bitch.

Dont worry PH it sounds wrong to me too.

Most of the words in the english language seem wrong when you look at them closely :)

What if a there's a man named Cactus and he is getting spined while watering his garden???

Cactus' cactus, Cactus's cactuses caught Cactus in Cactus's cactus garden caring for cacti.

Edit: Capital letter for names... :)

Edited by IndianDreaming
  • Like 3

dunno, it sounds wrong.

I am out of my leuge, with above said, gives me a head ache (yep, I blame my dyslexia for it),

sorry zac, I know you tried.

I am with you on this PH.

Whenever there is a discussion about the english language or the correct use of words in their correct context all I seem to hear is people peoples bla bla bla bla bla bla ....................the sky is nice and blue wonder if any more seedlings will be up when I get home............... bla bla bla bla................................................... :)

I suppose this might be the reason I failed year 10 english at school.

The thing that has improved my english the most is writing posts on here and you know that what i have written here over the years is probably the most I have ever written through my whole life. Definitely the most words that I have ever typed. :)

Cheers

Got

I prefer to use the term "look at those spiky little cunts" when im referring to cactus in singular or group

• Like 4

Just be careful what company you talk about cacti with, else you might inadvertently offend.

Liberty_Spikes_by_Snowvalley.jpg

• Like 2

What if a there's a man named Cactus and he is getting spined while watering his garden???

Cactus' cactus, Cactus's cactuses caught Cactus in Cactus's cactus garden caring for cacti.

Edit: Capital letter for names... :)

King Caractacus’s caucus was a consortium of cactaphiles conceived to catch Cactus’s cactuses catching Cactus. Cactus’s cacti continued to catch Cactus while the Caractacus caucus convened. Cactus, Cactophile and Cactipod clearly confused the Caractacus caucus considering the correct considerations for cacti , cactus and cactuses .

Clever Cactus convinced the Caractacus caucus to compromise and to consider cacti on its own. :lol:

Cheers

Got

• Like 4