The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

eucalypt as substrate dangerous?

I was reading a reputable mushroom cultivation source that suggested that edible mushrooms grown on eucalypt wood chips basically contain substances from the wood chips that make them inedible and that cause stomach upset.

an interesting observation.

I have personally eaten shaggy manes growing on eucy mulch without a problem

Huon Valley mushrooms grow all their Shiitake on Eucalypt sawdust, im sure if there was a problem a lot of people would have bought this up by now.

sounds like bs to me. what source?

If there were stomach upsets surely it would the result of bacteria or other fungal contaminats during a grow.

• Like 2

Didn't Stamets suggest something to that effect in Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms ?

• Like 1

I've grown shiitake and jew ears by the kgs on euc sawdust/shavings blocks and never had an issue. Its mostly logs these days.

• Like 2

Well, if you ate some of the tree that the mushroom was attached to ...

If not, sounds like BS

I read that years ago...referring to chicken of the woods I think, collected in Hawaii? It was a single incident, someone got sick from eating some mushrooms-blamed the tree. Eucys are used around the world to grow edible mushrooms. Mushrooms can harbor all sorts of bacteria, insects, feces, etc. that can make you sick, as well as containing toxic compounds that are destroyed through cooking.

• Like 3

Yes I believe it was a quote from stamets but I wondered what there was to back it up. If mushroom harboured the toxins of their substrate readily then saffrons wouldn't be edible.

I guess the early settlers in AUS got sick from eating wombats that had eaten eucalypt branches which then made me wonder.

I've got large bags of eucy spawn id rather not waste.

Also a YouTube video said not to grow king strophs on eucalypt for the same reason.

as you say nearly all commercial shiitake are grown on eucalypts.

Too many strophs can affect you however, shouldn't be smashing them down every day.

Huon Valley mushrooms grow all their Shiitake on Eucalypt sawdust, im sure if there was a problem a lot of people would have bought this up by now.

sounds like bs to me. what source?

If there were stomach upsets surely it would the result of bacteria or other fungal contaminats during a grow.

Are you sure about this statement? I'm pretty certain they import a lot of their grow bags from China. That doesn't mean it's not still eucalyptus, just that it's a bit less likely.

Its definitely local eucalypt sawdust production.

lol...you wouldnt have such a business if you you relied on freight into Tasmania.

(EDIT - then again its cheaper freight from Europe than from Victoria...go figure)

http://www.leatherwoodonline.com/tastes/2004/mushrooms/#

Edited by waterboy

yep, Its definitely local eucalypt sawdust, sourced from local mills.

Ive been there, seen how they make their mix and had a long chat with the manager.

yep, Its definitely local eucalypt sawdust, sourced from local mills.

Ive been there, seen how they make their mix and had a long chat with the manager.

Ahh ok cool. I know they definitely experimented with import bags from China.

The labour is SO cheap that it makes it possible. It's something like $1 a bag including delivery if you buy a container worth.

The Wikipedia page for Chicken of the Woods suggests that stomach upsets from these may be attributable to specimens grown on conifers or eucalypts.

Ahh ok cool. I know they definitely experimented with import bags from China.

The labour is SO cheap that it makes it possible. It's something like $1 a bag including delivery if you buy a container worth.

Given the new owners it doesnt surprise me at all that they have tried. I have heard they are looking at cutting costs, and not interested in gourmet products anymore, just the big sellers.

we are starting to see their "adelaide mushrooms" boxes here in the huon too, so much for local branding.

The guy that sells shiitakes and oysters in caves near Canberra grossed $1.5 mil in 2008.

Hi Zen, can you share the source of that information?

Hmm, tried to find this episode. Did it have a title or anything? I'm trying to find Australian gourmet mushroom growing stats and reports.