The Corroboree
goodude

several questions

gday everbody. hope ur all tops. so first question... growth rates of trichos. bridgesii are the slowest followed by peruvianis then pachanoi are the fastest growing right?

also for grafting stock. so it seems trichos and pereski are the 2 most popular choices... why would one use peres over trichos? whats the benefits if any, of using peres? thanks ppl. enjoy urselves :)

With growth rates I think it all comes down to growing conditions and genetics. Psychoo is bridgesii and it grows really fast but other bridgesii I have are really slow growing my,fastest growing trich is bridgesii x huanucoensis it grew nearly 50cm last growing season. My (Len)peruvianus grows slower than all my bridgesiis.

Grafting stocks just depends on the size of the cactus you want to graft. Peres I only use for seedling grafts and trichs iv never grafted anything smaller then 2cm to,but others do :)

the thing about peres is you can propagate quite alot of them in a short amount of time

so perhaps availablity is an advantage... on a small scale I guess it wouldn't matter as much tho..

and like mushroomman insinuated, they are the right size for seedling grafts, but beyond that

there a number of other columars I think should be (and have been) explored, in terms of being better or not better

than Trichos for one reason or another... (beyond aesthetics) I haven't really gone in that direction yet

but I plant to eh

as far as growth rates are concerned, there is no standard so I agree with that as well

even from the same seed batch, one Peruvianus might grow alot faster than another

the tricho family is not exclusive of "Runts" either ime

Edited by Spine Collector

some of my bridgesii are faster than all the others, but then again same clones have markedly different growth rates (i.e. ~30/40 cm compared to an inch or so, so go figure)

i've marked them this year so i get to see which ones grow the most

Edited by qualia
  • Like 1

I haven't watched them long enough but I wonder if some would grow at different rates from one year to the next for whatever reason?

anyone seen this??? so far I think I have but again it's only be a couple full seasons for meh