The Corroboree
planthelper

tony abbott is our new PM!!

tony abbott is our new prime minister...

does that mean, many Australians have a low iq, just like him?

• Like 1

yes thats exactly what it means. are you surprised?

• Like 1

yes!

I am not very clever either, and halve of my brain doesn't work proper, because of my dyslexia, but I am sure, I would beat tony, within any given pub quiz, hehehe.

• Like 1

bah dyslexia isn't half your brain, it only affects pretty small brain regions doesn't it? & those regions probably missed out because other regions are more developed. as far as i know it has nothing to do with over all intelligence but isn't it just to do with the rapidity of language processing, which unfortunately sometimes gives the illusion of lower intelligence.. i dunno, you seem pretty clever ph, i cant say the same for most people i come across in this country

• Like 1

Actually I think politicians like tony abott are probably pretty smart... Smart enough to work out what appeals to the masses anyway. He was a Rhode's scholar if that kind of thing holds weight for intelligence. But intelligence doesn't necessarily translate wisdom. The appeal of power seems to corrupt whatever morals and compassion politicians have. Tony abott, perhaps once an intelligent, forward thinking young man, is now reduced to three word slogans and racism as policies.

• Like 5

Aren't IQ results distributed on a curve? So wouldn't half of the population have average-or-below IQs just by definition?

Not that IQ tests are a real measure of intelligence, but that wasn't the question...

Edited by Anodyne

Aren't IQ results distributed on a curve? So wouldn't half of the population have average-or-below IQs just by definition?

Not that IQ tests are a real measure of intelligence, but that wasn't the question...

IQ test scores, like many other continuous variables (i.e. height, weight) are distributed 'normally'... this takes the form of a bell shaped curve. The apex of the bell is the mean score and 68% of all scores should lie within two standard deviations of the mean, give or take.

To answer your question, no. It really depends on, (1) What cut-off point you classify as an average IQ (2) What the mean score of the population is and (3) How spread out those scores are... the standard deviation.

I believe tony, is mildly dyslexic, actually dyslexics make extremely good politititions.

problem is, I have so far not seen any iq tests, which cater for dyslexics.

a dyslexic, will answer many questions, in an iq test with extreme ease and speed, whilst some others, produce a sensation, were letters and numbers, start to dance, and will not keep still.

who ever wins, I hope they do a good job, for us.

i like robert anton wilsons bit on 'the secret of power', every leader of any group at any time in history understood the secret of power.. "we all know how stupid the average bloke is right? well statistically speaking half the bastards are even stupider than that!"

After I voted they asked me if I wanted an "I Voted!" sticker. I replied, "Only if under that it says, 'and all I got for it was this stupid sticker'"

• Like 4

Actually I think politicians like tony abott are probably pretty smart... Smart enough to work out what appeals to the masses anyway. He was a Rhode's scholar if that kind of thing holds weight for intelligence. But intelligence doesn't necessarily translate wisdom. The appeal of power seems to corrupt whatever morals and compassion politicians have. Tony abott, perhaps once an intelligent, forward thinking young man, is now reduced to three word slogans and racism as policies.

yeah but i don't think anyones questioning his 'intelligence' more the 'intelligence' of the stupid fucks who vote for him..

i think your pushing it a little saying he was once forward thinking.. unless you mean he was forward thinking about his backward delusions about the world

The images you see of politicians are just that, they are images created by the people employed to analyse what the public would like to hear/see/think. They try to give out a image of someone kind & wise when really who we vote for does not matter much when the political advisers have foreign interests.....

and we will get, joe hockey as finance minister!

I like chubby people, so I am not biased but,

pretty much all the people I met in life with a food disorder,

could as well, not take care of there finance.

no control over food = no control over money!

I feel like if everyone in our country were forced to read and study the following 3 books, that we would live in a much more sane world.

The Righteous Mind - by Jonathan Haidt

Manufacturing Consent - by Noam Chomsky

Merchants of Doubt - by Naomi Oreskes

But I guess the problem isn't that the information isn't out there...the problem is that people don't want to hear it, they want to stick their heads in the sand, and there are too many right-wing politicians who are only too happy to cater to that want and capitalize on it. Shame really, we could be so much better.

• Like 2

Tony Abbott makes John Howard seem reasonable even admirable. The only good thing to come out of this election is that it seems for the first time since I have lived here that people were really talking about politics ! Up until now I was convinced that beer and surfing was the only thing important to the masses.

Really though I'm disillusioned it's a real step back into the dark ages

Lol @ the I Voted sticker what a fucking stupid waste of precious resources. If I see one it's going to get nuked

"I voted" because I had no fucking choice (s) ?

1 SD either side of the mean includes 68%. 2 would be closer to 95%.

And surprisingly, there is always a shift in IQ quotients over time, meaning in fact that at the moment, the world average IQ is actually closer to 105. Go figure.

I would like to be the first to congratulate Rupert Murdoch on his decisive victory.

Let the bloodbath begin :uzi::crux: :uzi::crux: :uzi::crux: :uzi::devil: .

This country is a fucking joke, and on this day more than any other, I'm deeply ashamed to call myself Australian.

When I voted, there was a party called, "Stop the Greens". There was no party however, called "Stop the Fascists"...

Excuse me while I sweep up the shards of my faith in humanity.

• Like 4

It's been said already in the media but I'll repeat it - dicipline. The guy has barely flinched in 3 years, it's fucking impressive. When people started to criticise him for his hollow slogans, what did he do? He repeated them even more. He had simple messages and he drove them home with no distractions.

His dicipline - emotional, mental, physical, is inspiring.

Hitler had discipline. People used to admire him for his passion and his hollow slogans and simple messages too. Somebody care to remind me how that one turned out? I've forgotten...

I hate having to bust out the Nazi card in making a point but for fuck sake. History is a tool - if we learn from it. If we don't, it's nothing but a hideous scar to be re-opened.

It doesn't matter if Tony Abbott, as a man, has discipline - ad hominem arguments are fallacious, regardless of whether they're for or against a person.

Who gives a fuck if he runs X amount of kilometers every day or how diligent he is with his finances. The man is a disgracefully intolerant bigot and fascist prick and he and his ilk have no place in any position of power - in this, or in any other country. They are destroying the world, and engendering hatred and intolerance and greed amongst its peoples while they slowly take away one freedom after another, inch by inch on a nightmarish path towards 1984.

And they deserve a slap in the face - not a pat on the back.

Edited by gtarman
  • Like 1

Love him or hate him we are stuck with him now....

Really who the fuck are these people?

Mrs Abbott has always kept a low public profile. She has her own career. She was working as a merchant banker at Rothschild when she met Mr Abbott, then a journalist for The Bulletin. They met in a pub that was a frequent haunt for Bulletin journos.

RIiMXSo.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/national/margie-abbotts-policy-pledge-home-stays-a-politicsfree-zone-20091204-kaxh.html#ixzz2eGEfChWP

Edited by bℓσωηG
  • Like 1

Excuse me while I sweep up the shards of my faith in humanity.

i would smoke them shards if i was u!!

• Like 1