The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
irabionist

Avozilla

we can learn a lot from avo cultivation, which we can use as well for all the other fuzzy plants!

regarding the planting out, let's hear more.

a mound is sure good, it facilitates watering during drought conditions, and maybe reduces water uptake around the tree, when it rains too much.

if i plant out an avo, i dig the hole only very slightly bigger, than the root ball, because of what i noticed, in a garden of a friend. this friend was in a manic state, and wanted to do a really good job, digging the hole...

he though, the bigger the hole, the more i loosen up the soil, and the more, friable material i add, the better for the avo tree. but once they rains arrived, the modified soil, around the tree, turned hydrophilic, whilst the undisturbed soil, around the planting, stayed hydrophobic, and the tree died.

sometimes being lazy, is better than trying too hard! i assume, if he would have dug a small hole, and would have maybe even removed some of the wood chip potting mix (very carefully and than within seconds into the hole)the tree would have flourished!!

in short, the hole acted like a water hole, and created what is called water horizons, which is a very bad thing.