The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
irabionist

Avozilla

Alright, I guess a giant avacado fits into ethnobotany!

If people aren't clear on what it is, SUPPOSEDLY the Avozilla is a giant (on average) 3lb Avacado that's only produced by 4 trees in South Africa.

So far only Tesco in England seem to be selling them, although there's not that much information about it at the moment, well that I can find.

article-2406657-1B887B23000005DC-64_634xarticle-2406657-1B88DFDA000005DC-959_306

So what's peoples go on this? Anyone got any more info on it?

• Like 5

I think I have seen ones like that up in the hills around here, I will see if I can get a photo next time, but that little avo used to compare the big one is tiny. A average avo is around double the length of a egg.

• Like 1

avo, is a super ethno plant, one of the best!

I want to hear as well more of this giant avo, I guess if they sell it at Tesco, there must be thousands of trees around and not just 4.

I wonder how true to type, a seedling would come up, I guess normaly halve or one third of seedlings will, produce good fruit.

in the Australian tropical fruit growers book, the author says, avocado was prized more, than cannabis by the old Mexicans!!

I have it from an excellent source, that avocado leaves contain, (drum roll) safrol, hehehe.

the 1st time I saw a person eating (a long time ago) an avocado, was in south America, I did not even know what, it was...

the guy, ate the avocado (palta), and than to my total surprise, smeared the leftovers, all over his, hands and face!!!

it's food, it's nivea cream, it contains a precursor, YEAH! :)

Edited by planthelper

Haha yeah Avacado is an amazing fruit! Didn't know the leaves had safrol though (haha avacado flavored md :P).

It was a bit stupid that only 4 trees in the whole world was going to produce enough avozillas for a supermarket chain!

Definitely take photos Leaves!

Wilson Popenoe Avocado

2.5 lbs and 8-10 inches long

Avo varieties grown in Venezuela 1993

From my experience the shinny skinned avo's have a inferior taste. Sharwil variety is my favourite so far, very nutty & buttery flavour :)

Edited by Leaves

There's some cool varieties out there - although the common Hass variety accounts for something like 85% of the avocadoes grown in Australia, you sometimes find other interesting varieties like the "Reed", which is smooth-skinned and round, about the size and shape of a grapefruit. I once saw some very cool long-necked types for sale, but the seller didn't know what they were called - looked a bit like these:

long-avocado.jpg?w=570

• Like 2

another incredible thing is, that it's said, that you can pick them, pretty much when ever you want them.

I have never done this though, so I don't know if it's true, but anyway, those small seedless cocktail avos, you see sometimes in the supermarket, don't come from a small fruit producing tree, but are very inmature fruits picked early.

on the other hand, if you don't pick, mature fruits and leave them on the tree, they will stay fresh, and will not get soft for quite a while. in short only pick what you need, the tree is better than the fridge, imho.

• Like 1

yeah most avocado varieties will only fully ripen after they've been picked, so if you have a good tree, for months on end you can have daily fresh picked avo's :) the same reason i love my citrus trees! not all varieties are like this though, some will more likely ripen & drop off the tree. i have recently got some 'bacon' avocado's, ready to go in the ground. they're apparently the most cold tolerant of varieties.. if anyone knows any other varieties that can handle mild frost let us know!

Apparently Sheppard is cold tolerant & hass was farmed in Tasmania but drought not cold killed them. Avo's grow in hilly areas in Chile at 40degress south & they are covered in snow every winter

We grow hass and wurtz. I went and picked these yesterday. they take about a week to ripen, i find if i pick them to early they do not have a rich oily flavor and taste a bit watery. the big ones only weigh about 300 grams. If you had them giants ones you would have have people over just to help you eat the guacamole

post-13531-0-42336200-1378240411_thumb.j

I also pick a few leaves and crushed them up... no smell of safrol

post-13531-0-42336200-1378240411_thumb.jpg

post-13531-0-42336200-1378240411_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

anyone know where one can purchase 'Lula' variety plants?

I also pick a few leaves and crushed them up... no smell of safrol

the study I refer to, was done by some Austrian university, they did not just crush leaves, but they would have done a proper examination. I deleted the link, to this paper unfortunately, because I had concerns...

safrol content is low, as far as I remember, and masked by an abundance of other scent.

i could even believe, to smell a very tiny hint of safrol, crushing an avo leaf.

Irie,

I'm with ph on this one;

in short only pick what you need, the tree is better than the fridge, imho.

Of the 4 pear trees in mi yard, 3 of them have totally different tastes.

Not sure what that pear next to the egg is but as has been said, it's well small.

We're in pear season now, which usually only last till November. Last year I had one tree produce till March!!

I know of a tree across the valley that has pears that big and bigger! The tree's branches often break under the excessive weight.

My trees are so tall that I usually wait for windfall for home consumption! 2 or 3 a day!

Respect,

Z

Also, if you have an excess of avocadoes and are getting bored with guacamole, try making this chocolate mousse. I know it sounds weird, but seriously it's delicious - you'd never know what it was made from if someone didn't tell you. The creaminess of the avocado perfectly fills the role normally taken by egg & double-cream in a mousse recipe, and the cocoa and vanilla essence cover the tiny lingering bitter/oily avocado aftertaste. As the recipe says, you can substitute other (cheaper!) sweeteners - a simple sugar syrup might not taste quite as amazing as maple syrup, but also works just fine. You can also freeze it - you won't get a soft icecreamy texture without adding vegetable gums or alot more sugar or something, but it makes a fine chocolate iceblock.

• Like 2

that sounds so good anodyne, gotta try that some time. i love avo smoothies too! but i could never get bored of guacamole!

i have a question for anyone who knows about young avo's.. one of my small tree's, around 50cm still in the pot is pumping out shit loads of flowers, i will be planting in the ground soon & my instinct tells me i should nip the buds so it can put it's energy into root growth this year.. what ya's reckon?

I take of the flowers of small trees, but as well would like to hear it from the experts.

btw, I started grafting my own trees, and had some success with it.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/sustainag/extn_pub/fruitpubs/Propagating%20Avocados-Principles%20and%20Techniques%20of%20Nursery%20and%20Field%20Grafting.pdf

I used only things which you can find already in every house hold, a box cutter blade, and as tape, I used strips of plastic, which I did cut out of some old shopping bags, choose the bags, which will stretch.

than an other plastic bag was used as humidity dome. I secured the end of the plastic strip, with normal sticky tape (as well cut into a narrow strip (~5mm wide and ~5cm long)

things I noticed:

make sure the stock you cut was well watered and the tissue, is semi soft (avoid woody stock).

wrap the tape (I have used electric tape as well) tight, but not as tight to bruise the skin of the stock and scion.

diy, is just cooler than buying, hehehe. :)

another incredible thing is, that it's said, that you can pick them, pretty much when ever you want them.

I have never done this though, so I don't know if it's true, but anyway, those small seedless cocktail avos, you see sometimes in the supermarket, don't come from a small fruit producing tree, but are very inmature fruits picked early.

on the other hand, if you don't pick, mature fruits and leave them on the tree, they will stay fresh, and will not get soft for quite a while. in short only pick what you need, the tree is better than the fridge, imho.

no ya cant ph. ya pic a avo when ripe! if ya pic a unripe avo the flesh when the fuker ripes [weeks] will go waterly and taste like shit also u can tell when its ripe when the skins loses it shine or ya cut down the middle and dig ya knife in the seed and twist left to right and the kernel breaks free from the flesh or seed??? its fuken friday and i have had a long week lol >.. or like we do get a oil content test when the oil test is high its all good!!!

the cocktail avo is not a inmature avo but a full grown avo that u get from all avo trees .. its when the degz falls below 8 i think?? or sic the tree produces them .. sum years in the sunnycoast hinterland when we have a cold winter the trees r full of them.. i love getting a handful and slamin the nearest picker with them hahahah

also hass r the main avo grown because of many reasons ie thik skin [ bugs dont smash them as bad] heavy croppers, tough fukers i say!!! we graft hass onto sherperd and reed cause how big and old the tree can get.. i have sum seedlings from a secret X the tree is over 100 years old!!

Edited by bullit

Today I planted two avocado trees out for my parents. I'm hoping that the wide & shallowish holes I dug, with the cactus mix as the soil - will have them thriving. I want these two to grow 4x faster than the trees my parents planted, so then I can be the avocado growing master of the family. :)

bullit, we love your insight knowledge, and I don't wanna nit pick here but...

instead of your, "no ya cant" it would be better to say, "not advisable".

some super market fruit are definitely picked, too early and taste watery, but it is possible.

the cocktail avocado, get's produced when it's cold, that's interesting.

but don't call it a mature fruit, because it's neither, of mature size, nor is it sexually mature, because it doesn't contain a seed.

definition mature:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mature

and btw, bullit, regarding my nexus seed give away, (now that I have your attention)it was "NOT RIGGED" as you claimed.

give away, means for free and not as you see it, that the receivers have to be drawn, by sheer chance.

I gave away, many items, by letting a draw, decide the winners.

the nexus seeds were given away for free, but not by means of a free raffle.

I ask you, to stop, writing things, which make me look bad, just because you, you don't understand them correctly.

I like your input, and believe most people here do the same, but if you don't know what, "mature" or "give away" means, don't let it out onto me!

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36157&hl=

I wish you nice weekend, my intention is not to upset you.

Edited by planthelper

allgood dude, i just write and speak like that [''no ya cant''] and its true if ya want a good tasting avo 4 ya toast pic tha cunt when its ripe it tastes better :o and yeah a ''coCKtail'' avo is a mature fruit like ya link says part 1a

ok ok and ya ''giveaway''

so I give away, the other two thirds.

I think they ought to go to, rhali and dood and ww, or any other keen person.

sooo my piss take was its rigged?? we r not all the same my mate?? so i write a lil different and joke a lil different walk like a monkey who gives a shit :bootyshake: have an awesum weekend :innocent_n:

Edited by bullit

thing is, when they're are ripe enough to pick & ripen in the bowl you can leave em on the tree for weeks or months even & they will fully ripen only when they're picked..

@ CBL carefull planting them straight in the ground. ya should build a large mound of top soil so if ya get two or sooo wetter than normal years theres a chance of the buggers not getting phytopthara [ root rot]

@ para yeah dude if conditions r not bad avos can hang 4 months!!!

Edited by bullit

I think there must be some different things getting sold as "cocktail avocadoes" too... some look like small Hass-ish fruit but have a fully-developed seed inside, while others are as ph described, with a totally immature seed that looks like a deflated balloon.

I think there must be some different things getting sold as "cocktail avocadoes" too... some look like small Hass-ish fruit but have a fully-developed seed inside, while others are as ph described, with a totally immature seed that looks like a deflated balloon.

cocktail avos shouldnt have a seed!

Yeah they are kind of mounded, although once I compressed the soil it kind of turned flat again. :P
The holes are quite shallow, just to the depth of the shovel blade, and it's on sloping ground. I can't say for sure, but I think they will do well where they are. The previous avocados had the worst potting mix (50/50 giant rocks + compost), and much deeper holes - and still managed to grow.